Electric trailer brakes

New forum user here, hello. Just got 94 Chevy 2500 Cheyenne 4x4 5.7L. Need to tow big two-axle horse trailer so need to install aftermarket electric brake controller (have done this twice before). Is there a harness pre-installed underdash for this application? Is the infamous BLUE WIRE (electric brake) pre-installed from under the dash to the rear of the truck? If so, where is?

Any info much appreciated.

Jim Barker

Francestown, NH (still snowy)

New forum user here, hello.  Just got 94 Chevy 2500 Cheyenne 4x4 5.7L.  Need to tow big two-axle horse trailer so need to install aftermarket electric brake controller (have done this twice before).  Is there a harness pre-installed underdash for this application?  Is the infamous BLUE WIRE (electric brake) pre-installed from under the dash to the rear of the truck?  If so, where is?

Any info much appreciated.

Jim Barker

Francestown, NH (still snowy)

I had 1996 GMC K-2500 ECSB 6.5 TD and the harness was tucked up in the drivers side front stake pocket. Crawl under and have a look up there. The blue wire is under the dash and you will have to hot wire the trailer brake into your brake light switch.

If you have only a 4 wire harness, you will have to run your blue wire seperate. If there is no harness what so ever, you will need to get a "T" connector that will splice into your egsisting harness for your tail lights.

As of 1999 and up, all GM pick ups with the towing package came with every thing you need, all you need is a 4 wire adapter plug, wire it to your brake controller and plug it in under the dash and your done. I remember seeing something in gmupfitters dot com about wiring for brake controllers, not sure if it would cover your 1994 K-2500. I hope this helps.

Archived