Thinking about buying used 2001 Silverado Z71

Welcome to the forum. Nobody can reccomend that you buy that particular truck or not. You have to evaluate it in person to make a judgement. As far as that year and model, I have a 2001 4.8L 4x4 ext cab and besides a few minor isuues, am happy with it. Today I noticed a leak, but hopefully is minor, like a gasket. The biggest complaint I have is I cannot get more than 14.8 mpg with this truck, and that is driving like a civilized person. Does the owner have maintenance records? To me that is key. Good luck!

I'm thinking of buying a used 2001 Silverado Z71.  It has a little over 60K miles.  Anything I should be aware of?  Any types of problems?  Would you recommend buying this truck?

Thanks!

How the truck was used and maintianed is a big factor in its value and if it has or did have big rubber on it I would stay away from it because of possible early tranny and front end problems that big rubber can cause.

If you don't mind me asking, how much are they asking for it?  CSK is the biggest issue with those trucks.  If the engine is quiet and the price is good, I'd buy it.

You probably don't want to know what they're asking, but I'll tell you anyhow: $13,500! What exactly is CSK? I test drove it and the engine seemed fine. I think I'm going to get it! Just have to get it inspected and verify the extended warranty is transferrable.

Looks like only stock tire size has been used and it's the original owner. I'll probably run a Car Fax report just to make sure nothing looks funny.

My '01 Z71 5.3L has been just a good ol' truck so far. It had just over 60K on it also at purchase time. I did however buy the extended warranty just in case. The only thing I've had to replace are the tailgate cables. But the dealer gave me the newer stainless steel recall replacements. Overall I'm very pleased.

P.S. I gave right at 14,700 9 months ago. This was the price before the warranty!

If you don't mind me asking, how much are they asking for it?  CSK is the biggest issue with those trucks.  If the engine is quiet and the price is good, I'd buy it.

You probably don't want to know what they're asking, but I'll tell you anyhow: $13,500! What exactly is CSK? I test drove it and the engine seemed fine. I think I'm going to get it! Just have to get it inspected and verify the extended warranty is transferrable.

Looks like only stock tire size has been used and it's the original owner. I'll probably run a Car Fax report just to make sure nothing looks funny.

CSK means cold start knock. It is a rapping noise which varies from truck to truck in intensity. Some say it sounds like they have a diesel. Mine dosent have it at all. GM says it is normal due to the design of the pistons which have a very short skirt. They made them this way to decrease mass and supposedly get better gas mileage. The short skirt causes the piston to move against the cylinder wall slightly, causing the noise until the engine heats up and the metals expand to take up the tolerance.

I'd agree on the carfax. And take it to your local dealer and have them put it on the machine...and run the VIN, should be able to tell you what issues the truck has had in past. I think GM tracks all of that.

Get underneath it and look around. Look for gobs of mud/grass stuck under frame or scrapes on frame (means it's been seriously off-roaded). Just use your common sense and ask yourself if this is a truck you are willing to spend $13k+ on?

Dad always said "when you are buying something used you are buying someone elses headache...well, at least most of the time."

Yeah, I'm definitely going to get a Carfax report. Also, going to get it Maryland State inspected before buying it. Maryland has a fairly strict inspection, so I should be ok. The guy's got all the maintenance records and the extended warranty is transferrable with coverage until October 2006 or 100K miles. He's getting a company vehicle (supposedly---seems honest enough though) so that's why he's selling.

I actually talked him down to $12,500!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to get some pics up once everything is all settled.

I'd agree on the carfax.  And take it to your local dealer and have them put it on the machine...and run the VIN, should be able to tell you what issues the truck has had in past.  I think GM tracks all of that. 

Get underneath it and look around.  Look for gobs of mud/grass stuck under frame or scrapes on frame (means it's been seriously off-roaded).  Just use your common sense and ask yourself if this is a truck you are willing to spend $13k+ on?

Dad always said "when you are buying something used you are buying someone elses headache...well, at least most of the time."

Also make sure you know who you are buying it from.

If its a 22 year old...with a history of raceing.......

Or a 65 year old who thought he could tow his 16,000lbs camper from coast to coast......

Only if all used cars where drivin by a little old lady who just drove it to the store....

But any ways. Defintly test drive the crap out of it. Drive it on the hwy, Drive it in the city, drive it slow, and fast, and punch it off the line....and make sure the radio is off, and just listen for stuff that don't sound right.

I don't trust Carfax completely. My brother and his wife bought a SUV that was wrecked badly and nothing showed up on Carfax. I guess body shops don't have to report to Carfax if the insurance company is not involved, or at least that is what they were told.

They made the dealership perform $5k in new body and paint to make it right.

Give it a very good inspection for yourself, in most cases common sense and your gut will be your guide.

Good luck and welcome to the Chevy family! :withstupid:

You can probably expect the common slip yoke clunk, fuel guage going haywire around 85,000 miles, possibly the ever so common steering wheel clunk, and the lousy weather strip material used around the passenger side door causing alot of windnoise, and there is the posiblity of the fuel pressure regulator going out as well as the emergency brake not working, and weak tail gate cables... what else am I missing folks? CSK has already been covered...

You can probably expect the common slip yoke clunk, fuel guage going haywire around 85,000 miles, possibly the ever so common steering wheel clunk, and the lousy weather strip material used around the passenger side door causing alot of windnoise, and there is the posiblity of the fuel pressure regulator going out as well as the emergency brake not working, and weak tail gate cables... what else am I missing folks?  CSK has already been covered...

ryan hit it right on the head. i have had every one of those problems he listed with 75k on the clock now...

You can probably expect the common slip yoke clunk, fuel guage going haywire around 85,000 miles, possibly the ever so common steering wheel clunk, and the lousy weather strip material used around the passenger side door causing alot of windnoise, and there is the posiblity of the fuel pressure regulator going out as well as the emergency brake not working, and weak tail gate cables... what else am I missing folks?  CSK has already been covered...

ryan hit it right on the head. i have had every one of those problems he listed with 75k on the clock now...

They just do not build them like they used too any more. Yes they have more creature comforts but the wear out a lot sooner too.

Archived