Towing 28ft enclosed trailer, need some advice

I will be towing a 28ft enclosed trailer with a 2500lb race car in it this weekend. First time I have pulled something this long. Have pulled 24ft open trailer with sleds. Anything I should watch out for? What can I expect out of my truck? See my signature. I plan on going about 55-60 on the freeway just to take it easy and get some gas mileage. :withstupid: It is about 360 miles round trip. I know to run it in drive with the tow/haul on. Getting the tranny flushed and a teknosha installed tomorrow.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

The only thing I see that may affect you is the new trailer is enclosed. It will probably catch more wind than an open sled trailer and may want to sway more.

As far as going to a longer trailer,IMO the longer trailer will be easier to manuver. I've been towing trailers for a long time,but I always get put in my place when I need to back a short trailer :withstupid: . My dad has a small utility trailer and I can barely back the d**n thing. It pivots so fast I'm constantly correcting.

Watch out while passing semi's.  They will suck you in to their draft...kinda sceery.  Just be prepared to catch more wind...

He has a good tow vehcial to stabilty should not be much of a problem though if there is only 2500lb in a 28 foot enclosed it is a bit lite in wind. Try to get at least 15% of total trailer loaded weight on hitch ball to help stabilty too as the more weight you carry there the better it will track (up to a point anyway)

some tow mirrors will really help you out when changing lanes or anything else. towed a boat 2000mi last summer from home to fl keys. trailer was 9ft wide while boat sat 4 feet on top of trailer, killing any view of my rear or side. wish i had tow mirrors back then.....

It actually did exceptionally well. The trailer ended up being a little bigger than I had planned. It was calm on the trip down and a little tailwind on the way home. I got 8.3 mpg on the way down and 8.9 mpg on the way home according to the DIC driving 60-65mph.

Here's what it was.

Truck & Trailer

It actually did exceptionally well.  The trailer ended up being a little bigger than I had planned.  It was calm on the trip down and a little tailwind on the way home.  I got 8.3 mpg on the way down and 8.9 mpg on the way home according to the DIC driving 60-65mph.

Here's what it was.

Truck & Trailer

If you tow regularly I would upgrade to at least 4.10 axle ratios or better as it will improve tow perfomance and MPG becaue you should be around 10 to 11 mog with that trailer at 60 to 65. Enines working to hard with current setup to do its best towing MPG wise.

8.5-9mpg isn't bad considering he's towing a big brick. That trailer has alot of frontal area and the front is pretty much flat,not the best combination for slicing thru the air.

I don't know what a car hauler weighs,3000lbs,4000lbs? Add 2500 lbs for the car and another 1000lbs for tools and parts,and he has a pretty good load.

The 6.0 isn't known for exceptional MPG,alot of reports have the mileage just a tad better than the 8.1.

IMO I'd stick with the 3.73s. If he was towing at the max,I might agree with the 4.10s.

The wind off of a semi can surprize you at times. I find that I sometimes get a double sway after passing them. I used to get 7.8 MPH towing with my 8.1 and I think it was 9-10 when I had a 6.0. This is my new combo. 2005 Duramax powered Sierra HD pulling a 32' 2005 ATC (Aluminum Trailer Company). Very stable!

trailer.jpg

8.5-9mpg isn't bad considering he's towing a big brick. That trailer has alot of frontal area and the front is pretty much flat,not the best combination for slicing thru the air.

I don't know what a car hauler weighs,3000lbs,4000lbs? Add 2500 lbs for the car and another 1000lbs for tools and parts,and he has a pretty good load.

The 6.0 isn't known for exceptional MPG,alot of reports have the mileage just a tad better than the 8.1.

IMO I'd stick with the 3.73s. If he was towing at the max,I might agree with the 4.10s.

Maybe with a 8,1 3,73 would be cool but with a small block and a crew cab, 31 or 32's and a trailer, a 3.73 is not tow gear especailly with a big frontal area too. I do not tow offten these day but in past I used to tow a lot and a friend of mine tows a 7.5w x 22L x 7.5H trailer everyday with 5200 lbs axles with windows and doors and related tools and it averages between 8000 and 9000lbs loaded weight and he pulls it with a 1 ton GMC van with a 350 and 4.10 and averages about 10 MPG with it in mostly city driving and hits eleven on the road on a longer trips and this is a older truck too with over 120k on it. The engine works harder with 3.73's than with 4.10s and has lower vacum too. small blocks pull there best when they can trun above 3000 or so when pulling hard. Run it like a diesel and keep the RPM low and MPG will suffer under load.

The wind off of a semi can surprize you at times. I find that I sometimes get a double sway after passing them. I used to get 7.8 MPH towing with my 8.1 and I think it was 9-10 when I had a 6.0. This is my new combo. 2005 Duramax powered Sierra HD pulling a 32' 2005 ATC (Aluminum Trailer Company). Very stable!

trailer.jpg

You aren't kidding. Since this was the first time pulling somethign this big it took a little to get used to!!! :banghead:

This will probably be one of the only times I pull something like this. I did it to help a friend as he was waiting for his stacker race trailer to be finished. We took 2 trailers. I let the engine builder drive it and he let it down shift to 2nd a couple of times and says that small block likes the RR's at 4200. He said that it is actually easily on a small block versus lugging it...... It kept speed or actually gained on some pretty good inclines. He was impressed. He said that it did better motor wise than a 2000 454 dually and 2000 6.5 they used pull trailers with. We figured it weighed about 10k loaded. I think it even burned some carbon out!!!! :banghead:

You aren't kidding. Since this was the first time pulling somethign this big it took a little to get used to!!!

The sway that I mentioned was with my 24' enclosed Hallmark trailer. I haven't done any roadtrips with the new trailer yet. Just took it to have the rear camera installed and then dropped it off at my house. First road trip should be when the track opens in a few weeks.

Archived