Power Window went dead

Well my dad put the passengerside window down......and it would only come up so far and stop....plus it was making a grinding/crackling noise. He had me trying to pull it up some because the motor sounded like it was struggling....it moved up some but quit. Now it will not move up or down. Figures.....I just waxed it Friday.....everytime I take care of it something breaks. Any suggestions on what to check? What is best, I get the parts and change the motor myself or just have the dealer change it since its stuck open part way? Thanks

The window regulator is a fairly common problem for power window failure.

You will have to take the door panel off and clarify if that's the problem. Unfortunatly I don't think it's an inexpensive part...

Definetly the window regulator..sounds like a cable snapped and is caught in the motor..as Shaners said..a common problem, and they are quite expensive since GM only sells it all together, though it makes for a quick install.

Definetly the window regulator..sounds like a cable snapped and is caught in the motor..as Shaners said..a common problem, and they are quite expensive since GM only sells it all together, though it makes for a quick install.

Thats what happened to my driverside window last month. The cable on the regulator frayed and got bound up,kinda like getting fabric caught in a zipper.

I heard the grinding and thought maybe I had a small rock stuck inside the door. I was relieved to find the window unscratched.

I had my passenger side replaced in December, it made the same noise. I bought a used regulator from I think an '03 or '04 on Ebay for $35.00 and my buddy put it on at his garage for $20.00. There are a bunch of aftermarket ones for $70.00-$100.00 new.

I believe that power windows use to work for many years. GM has had a problem with them in recent years. I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre Ltd with 45,000 miles on it. when the 1st window regulator broke ( 2 year old car...40,000 mile), the dealer wanted over $400.00. I told him I needed GM to fix it free since they apparently used some cheaply designed or manufactured parts. THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM...It should be GM's problem. They said that GM agreed to fix it as a one time"customer satisfaction" deal. On the 2nd window regulater, they said they didn't have to call GM for their approval on the free repair. The 3rd and 4th were also repaired with no questions or arguement. Since this is a GM site, I'll bet my post is gone tomorrow.

Since this is a GM site, I'll bet my post is gone tomorrow.

This site is not a GM official site. We are just GM truck enthusiasts, and your post is very acceptable.

The power windows are just one area that GM cut corners... There are many other areas on their new vehicles that are much cheaply made too (but I won't get into that now).

The older power windows were very stought. In fact, a friend of mine made a power lift for a plow on his 4 wheeler using the motor from an early 70's Caddy power window!!!

That's a crafty man.

I'm thinking that I'm going to start selling "art" made out of all the extra parts I have laying around. But they won't be mobile with any sort of consistancy because I'll be using used wiper motors to create the motion. :thumbs:

Oh, and Shaners...You haven't started receiving your checks from GM yet? My last one was a doozy. Paid off my house with the second one.

• 7 months later...

I know I am bringing up an old topic but I joined tonight in hopes of finding out why my 2001 Suburban driver side window has been popping loudly about half way up or down in travel for about 4 months now, and tonight during a hard freeze the window stuck at about 2/3s up after rolling it down. I had to ask my wife work the window switch up and down while I grasped both sides of the glass and pushed up and down until we got it to lift to the top. The previous popping sound has been loud and sounds mechanical like a bind in the metal arms.

Has anyone had similar problems and know if this a symptom of the regulator or could it possibly be the mechanics of the metal arms? The motor seems to be working and assisting while she was pushing the switch up and down but the direction didn't seem to matter, it would go down while the switch was to be rolling it up and vice versa.

Thanks in advance. :banghead:

Jay

Has anyone had similar problems and know if this a symptom of the regulator or could it possibly be the mechanics of the metal arms? The motor seems to be working and assisting while she was pushing the switch up and down but the direction didn't seem to matter, it would go down while the switch was to be rolling it up and vice versa.

Thanks in advance.  :banghead:

Jay

That's how mine was acting/sounding before I replaced the regulator. No problems since.

Thanks in advance.   :confused:

Jay

That's how mine was acting/sounding before I replaced the regulator. No problems since.

OK, hope this is it. Are there any "how to" sites on this subject?

Thanks

Archived