95 TBI Manifold question

1995 Sub 4x4, 5.7, 3:73's

I need to pull my intake to replace the gaskets (I'm leaking antifreeze on top of the manifold) and am wondering if there are tried a true aftermarket perf intake that'll a) improve MPG and/or b) performance w/o significantly deminishing MPG?

What size bore is the standard TBI? 58mm or 52mm or 50mm or???

I see these aftermarket air cleaners of any real value or just dress up?

Thanks

1995 Sub 4x4, 5.7, 3:73's

I need to pull my intake to replace the gaskets (I'm leaking antifreeze on top of the manifold) and am wondering if there are tried a true aftermarket perf intake that'll a) improve MPG and/or b) performance w/o significantly deminishing MPG?

What size bore is the standard TBI? 58mm or 52mm or 50mm or???

I see these aftermarket air cleaners of any real value or just dress up?

Thanks

It may benifit from a after market manifold as the stock on is not tuned but that engine is also cam limited as well as the stock cam is pretty mild and gutless above 3500 RPM or so. WHile you have the intake off you should consider a cam change that is EFI freindly because you will get a lot more bang for you buck that way and even more yet if you change intake and TBI unit too. With such mods done together and properly it would be possible to add another 60 to 75 HP to output and possible even more for a difference you will really feel especailly in the top end.

You sure it's the manifold leaking?

There's a heater hose that goes into the manifold that is well known for corroding, leaking, and snapping off as soon as a wrench touches it. Kind of tough to see, but worth looking at if you aren't sure where the leak is coming from.

You sure it's the manifold leaking?

There's a heater hose that goes into the manifold that is well known for corroding, leaking, and snapping off as soon as a wrench touches it. Kind of tough to see, but worth looking at if you aren't sure where the leak is coming from.

It is actuall a pretty common problem with older 5.7's of TBI or Vortec design and most of the time they just seep and not leak very bad. Even my 2000 K3500's 5.7 developed a leak there that I had repaired for free recently. They redesigned the gasket for the V6 TBI/Vortec engine because of leakage problems but not on the 5.7 yet that I am aware of anyway.

All good info, thanks. I found antifreeze on top of the manifold, drivers side back (#7 cylinder?) and found the very rear manifold bolt was only finger tight so I tightened it and that stopped the leaking...for awhile. Now it's leaking in the same spot again so i'm thinking that the gasket is shot. I'm going to check and see if that bolt is loose again but I doubt it is....

I don't recall seeing any hoses on that side of the engine but I'll look again.

What about the "aftermarket air cleaners" question? Anyone had luck with those?

You'll get 100 different opinions from 23 different people on that one, depending on how you ask the question.

I have noticed absolutely zero increase or decrease in performance or mileage on either of my trucks by installing a K&N drop in filter. I only do it because it's cheaper in the long run to do it (Both my quads and mowers have K&N's, so I can just buy one recharger kit and do them all in one shot).

You'll get 100 different opinions from 23 different people on that one, depending on how you ask the question.

I have noticed absolutely zero increase or decrease in performance or mileage on either of my trucks by installing a K&N drop in filter.

I agree too and like some other "mods" it is more state of mind than reality with those filters as people look for quick HP gains. Modern GM engines have pretty good intake airfilter flow to begin with and everthing is well tuned.

After some research, I have found that the only TBI performance intake for the Chevy small blocks is the GM performance units.  I have not bought one yet, but it is on the list.  If you go to gmpartsdirect.com, do a search for intakes.

I searched the site and found a TBI manifold that GM used from 84 till 90 on production TBI vehicals but no HiPo intake for TBI except a intake to mate a TBI unit with Vortec heads. Not joy there.

The good news is that Eldebrock makes one, part number #3704

Archived