Outside mirror glass fell out on 97 Tahoe

The outside mirror glass fell out on my 1997 Tahoe with electric mirrors. It looks OK - don't see any broken parts, but I can't figure out how to put it back in. This is on the driver's side. It happened after I had bumped the mirror and then was using the controls to move it - just fell out. How do you put it back in place?

Thanks - Jon

Guest 007FL
Mine fell off as well, I ended up just using clear silicone sealant to attach it back.  Used electrical tape to hold in place until it set up.  Worked fine for a month, then someone sideswipped my truck and took off my mirror.  Chris

That's how I fixed my Jimmy years ago but it wasn't electric. Just be careful how much you slop in there.

The glass appears to be attached to a frame. There are 2 threaded studs sticking out the back, and a tab on the right side. I shoved the studs into the mating holes, pushed, and it seemed to go all the way in, but there is still something wrong. The mirror is loose and seems likely to fall out again. You can press lightly on the glass and it will move. Doesn't do that on the passenger side. The housing looks fine, but maybe something is broken that holds the glass frame in. I haven't driven yet, but there is definitely too much wobble in the mirror glass. Does this mean the housing is screwed up? Any way to fix it more permanently?

JW.............When it finally falls apart................

I have seen replacement OBS power mirror replacement

knockoffs for $50 bucks at Pep Boys ! The whole unit !

I paid $200 for a replacement GM unit for my 94 Ho' !!!!

The NBS heated ones cost $300 and UP !!!!!!!!!!!!

JW.............When it finally falls apart................

I have seen replacement OBS power mirror replacement

knockoffs for $50 bucks at Pep Boys !  The whole unit !

I paid $200 for a replacement GM unit for my 94 Ho' !!!!

The NBS heated ones cost $300 and UP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't get those ones at Pepboys. They wobble and you can't see a thing going down the road.

There are some good ones on ebay for about $60 shipped.

Archived