Mobil 1 Synthetic in the Tranny

Thoughts?

Doing a filter and fluid this weekend...

Thanks

ps...the search engine was difficult for this question...

To receive any real benifit you would nedd to do a complete drain and fluxh becaise over half the oil stays in tranny with a filter change. Mobile 1 ATF is compatable with regular fluid but without the flush or complete drain which you need to remove torque converter to do (though in the old day these used to put drain plugs on them too) so I quest what is really gained here for what it is worth.

Synthetic in the tranny is a good thing if you do a good bit of towing and hauling. It helps to keep the temperature down and we all know that heat is the AT's biggest enemy. Otherwise if you really don't tow/haul much, regular fluid will due just fine. The key is to do regular maintenance. Oh in case your in the colder regions of the planet, then synthetic would be a better choice.

Now the easiest way to get a good change out would be to do the filter and fluid now and then just change the AT fluid out at the next three engine oil changes. Not a major expense all at once and will pretty much be close to 100% synthetic by the last change.

Terry Dyson from Dyson Analysis recommends Pennzoil brand ATF. From all the samples he runs in his lab that nonsynthetic brand has had the best track record. He is were I send all my oil analysis off too. I was able to find it at Target. Just a suggestion. :)

Synthetic in the tranny is a good thing if you do a good bit of towing and hauling. It helps to keep the temperature down and we all know that heat is the AT's biggest enemy.  Otherwise if you really don't tow/haul much, regular fluid will due just fine. The key is to do regular maintenance. Oh in case your in the colder regions of the planet, then synthetic would be a better choice. 

Now the easiest way to get a good change out would be to do the filter and fluid now and then just change the AT fluid out at the next three engine oil changes. Not a major expense all at once and will pretty much be close to 100% synthetic by the last change.

Terry Dyson from Dyson Analysis recommends Pennzoil brand ATF.  From all the samples he runs in his lab that nonsynthetic brand has had the best track record.  He is were I send all my oil analysis off too. I was able to find it at Target.  Just a suggestion. :)

If you use a properly sized aux cooler, tranny temps are not a problem whether you use syn fliud or dino stuff. The key to survival in towing is not the fluid type but rather the cooling of it. I have towed for extremely large loads over the last 30 plus years and never had a tranny failure from them and they all had aux coolers too. I have a THM 400 in one truck that is 26 years old that has had a very hard life and starting out life pulling grain trailers in farm operations that weighed over 20k lbs and it still works like new today and it has had a aux cooler on it too since day one with regular fluid and filter changes too.

Mine has M1 in it.  Go for it.

They guys that make this stuff have got to love you as I have gotten 26 year of service out of a tranny that has worked it butt off and has only seen regular servicing with dino ATF. My 89 burb that I bought new has 172 k on its 700R4 with dino ATF and it still works like new too though it too has had a hard life at times. Both have aux coolers.

I feel you can make the case for using synthetic oil in automatic transmissions under some conditions.

I want to start by stating that in most cases conventionally refined transmission fluids offer very good protection for most applications and can be used without concern. If it is changed as recommended, it is very unlikely that any of you will see a failure of the transmission fluid using a conventionally refined fluid.

With that said, you may have read the tread on synthetic engine oil where I stated that there was no advantage to using synthetic motor oil. Although I think it may not be a strong argument, there are reasons that make using synthetic transmission fluids viable in some cases.

Motor oil is changed primarily because of the presence of contaminates and byproducts produced during combustion. In an automatic transmission this is not a concern. This one reason that we can safely change fluid in an automatic transmission at 50,000-100,000 mile intervals. The reason that you are changing the fluid is generally because of degradation in areas that synthetics do offer a margin of better performance.

Transmission fluid does not fail all at once unless there is a very unusual condition. Under more extreme conditions the fluid will degrade sooner than if it were under more mild conditions. By having a synthetic fluid in the transmission, you have a more durable oil. If, when you change the conventional fluid there is no sign of degradation, using a synthetic fluid would not have made a difference.

Analysis is the best way to get a clear picture of the fluid condition, but you can tell quite a bit about the condition by looking at the color of the fluid. Transmission fluid darkens in part by oxidation. Premature oxidation is often the result of highly stressed oil. If your transmission fluid tends to get fairly dark between changes you may want to consider adding supplementary cooling, using a synthetic fluid, shortening change intervals, or a combination of these solutions. If the fluid remains fairly clear between change periods, you should be fine using conventional fluids and changing at the recommended interval.

I would base my decision on whether a synthetic is needed by evaluating the condition of the fluid at the end of its life. I would also recommend changing the fluid using a method that replaces all of the fluid, not just the fluid in the pan.

Doug

Mine has M1 in it.  Go for it.

They guys that make this stuff have got to love you as I have gotten 26 year of service out of a tranny that has worked it butt off and has only seen regular servicing with dino ATF. My 89 burb that I bought new has 172 k on its 700R4 with dino ATF and it still works like new too though it too has had a hard life at times. Both have aux coolers.

Don't you phuckin ever give up? If somebody isn't using what the almighty snoman is you think they're an idiot. I swear,you must sit behind your computer and wait for somebody to post something you can argue about.

I get so tired of your rhetoric. :confused:

I run Amsoil in my tranny and noticed cooler temps when towing and improved shifting. The extended drian intervals are also a plus.While snoman is servicing his tranny i'll be rollin :confused:

heat cause fliud breakdown. syn resist breaking down better, right? plus it doesn't thicken up as bad when cold. don't sound like a bad thing to me. it may not help anything, but it certaintly can't hurt.

Archived