01 1500 heater problem

Second post because of the number of images:

Can you email me the instructions as the images have been removed , i have an avalance 2003 with this issue

[email protected]

thanks a lot

Document ID# 659211

2001 Chevrolet Chevy C Silverado - 2WD

Air Temperature Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the instrument panel hush panel .

372310.gif

2. Disconnect the electrical connector (8) from the air temperature actuator (9).

363779.gif

3. Remove the air temperature actuator retaining screws.

363780.gif

4. Remove the air temperature actuator.

Installation Procedure

1. 363780.gif

2. Install the air temperature actuator.

363779.gif

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the air temperature actuator retaining screws.

Tighten

Tighten the screws to 1.6 N·m (14 lb in).

372310.gif

4. Connect the electrical connector (8) to the air temperature actuator (9).

5. Install the instrument panel hush panel.

6. Calibrate the HVAC module actuators. Refer to Re-Calibrating Actuators in HVAC Systems - Automatic.

Document ID# 659211

• 5 months later...

I signed on to this board just to thank you for this post. My 01 has been doing the same thing. After it was on heat for a few minutes I could not go back to cool. I did not understand how the actuator could be the problem. Thought it must be the switch on the dash board. Finally gave up and replaced actuator. Solved the problem. Be sure not to run the actuator without it being attached.. If the actuator travels too far it is useless. I got one from autozone that had been returned, It would not go on because it had traveled too far. Got a different one and it went right on, (had to manually turn the blend door to cold side).

Thanks for the help!

• 4 weeks later...

Like so many GM owners, my 2004 Silverado started having a "clicking" noise under the dash, and months later started blowing only hot air on the driver's side. Thanks to this forum I was able to remove the offending heat actuator. I called a local dealer to check on a replacement and was told it would cost $268. Not me! I found one on Amazon for $96, but wanted to be sure that was the problem, so I took it apart. It has 5 plastic latches (one under a label) holding it together, and with GREAT care one can remove the top. One has to prize up one latch, insert a second very small screwdriver in the crack in the case before doing the next latch. I discovered the large (black in mine) gear have two copper fingers which should contact a variable resistor underneath. What had occurred was (probably during a battery change) the gear had driven to far in one direction, which made the variable resistor inoperable. When this occurs I think it makes the computer calibration impossible. I reinstalled the gear in the center of travel, re-assembled, re-installed and tried the previously stated computer calibration procedure once again . . . and it WORKS! Total cost - skinned up knuckles.

This "thread" "post" whatever - contains directions to do this electrically. The actuator control wires on my model truck are blue. If one removes the plug and looks they will see two wires on one side, a space, then three wires. The two wires are the actuator control, and connect to the variable resistor. Since its very difficult to see when the damper is at midpoint, I would jump these wires together for a count of 1-2 seconds, which should get the resister back in range. Then recalibrate as discussed in this post. It I had a passenger side actuator acting up, I'd try this procedure since its a PITA to even see.

• 8 months later...

I have a heater problem and i am not sure if this thread has covered my problem. I have a 99-00 5.3 and last winter i had very little heat issue. I know it wasn't the resister as that has different symptoms but i replaced it anyway and the cabin air filters while i was there. So in the spring I drained and back-flushed the system till it ran clear. I also installed a new thermostat and refilled the system with the dexcool. I wasn't really sure if the "heat issue" was really fixed as it was warmer out however today i realized the problem remains.

The problem is the temperature at any vent isn't anywhere near it should be (IMO) or i remember. The more you increase the blower motor speed the temperature Decreases. The hottest i got it to read was on speed 1 aprox 136? drawing in the outside air and when increased to speed 5 it dropped to 106?.

When using the recycled air from in the cabin (that increases blower speed) on speed 1 i had 134? and on speed 5 i had 113?. I would think the recycled air would blow hotter air than any and the increase in any fan speed should make things warmer not cool them off.

any suggestions?

Document ID# 659211

Removal Procedure

372310.gif

2. Disconnect the electrical connector (8) from the air temperature actuator (9).

363779.gif

363780.gif

Installation Procedure

1. 363780.gif

363779.gif

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Tighten

372310.gif

6. Calibrate the HVAC module actuators. Refer to Re-Calibrating Actuators in HVAC Systems - Automatic.

Document ID# 659211

Is there any way to get a repost with images? It's beginning to sound like I have this situation on my 2002 Siverado 1500.

Document ID# 659211

Removal Procedure

372310.gif

363779.gif

363780.gif

Installation Procedure

1. 363780.gif

363779.gif

Tighten

372310.gif

Document ID# 659211

Is there any way to get a repost with images? It's beginning to sound like I have this situation on my 2002 Siverado 1500.

Disregard, I just located disconnected jack to the air temperature actuator. It fixed my A/C problem too.

• 2 months later...

I have a heater problem and i am not sure if this thread has covered my problem. I have a 99-00 5.3 and last winter i had very little heat issue. I know it wasn't the resister as that has different symptoms but i replaced it anyway and the cabin air filters while i was there. So in the spring I drained and back-flushed the system till it ran clear. I also installed a new thermostat and refilled the system with the dexcool. I wasn't really sure if the "heat issue" was really fixed as it was warmer out however today i realized the problem remains.

The problem is the temperature at any vent isn't anywhere near it should be (IMO) or i remember. The more you increase the blower motor speed the temperature Decreases. The hottest i got it to read was on speed 1 aprox 136? drawing in the outside air and when increased to speed 5 it dropped to 106?.

When using the recycled air from in the cabin (that increases blower speed) on speed 1 i had 134? and on speed 5 i had 113?. I would think the recycled air would blow hotter air than any and the increase in any fan speed should make things warmer not cool them off.

any suggestions?

Heater core getting plugged up. Slow flow through it so faster air is carrying heated air away faster the core can produce it. Try a back flush of your core.

Archived