Beware of this dealer!

Tjwong

A friend of mine had a disturbing dealer experience and in my opinion got totally screwed, they didn't even use vaseline! The story starts with him purchasing two brand new 1T duaramax duallies from this dealer. He then takes them to a shop to have full exhaust and a Edge Juice boxes installed. One of the things installed was a gage pod on the drivers side. When the installer installed the pod he inadvertantly drilled through a small wire harness, nothing major. All that happened was that temperature reading had stopped working in the inside rearview mirror.

He calls me and askes my opinion, I in turn call my GM contact and ask his opinion. My contact tells me that they have had a rash of mirrors going bad so my advice was to take it to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty. The dealer gets it and it takes two days to find the problem. And they charged him 7.5 HOURS of labor time @ $80/hour :bs: And then has the gall to charge him for several units of tape, heat shrink and solder! :ughdance:

He askes me to call the service manager which I did. Before I did I checked in the GM Manual to see where the damage occured and how it was wired. The wire harness runs from the rear view mirror, across the top of the headliner and down the drivers side piller moulding where it terminates at the junction block at left side of the dash. This junction block is easily accessible via a trap door on the left side of the dash. Mind you this harness is easily removed in its entireity in less than 10 minutes! The d**n thing is only 5 feet long and is about as big around as your pinky!

I called the guy to see what he had to say about justifying this labor time. Common sense would tell you that:

A: There was work done to the truck and the problem started immediately after that

B: The work was done at the pillar

C: Gee you idiot the wire harness runs down that pillar

His explanation was that he looked at that wire and could not see any damage, his guy said that he didn't find it until he unwrapped the tape from the harness. And he says it worked when he bypassed it at the junction block to the mirror. That tells me that the problem was between the junction block and the mirror. Plain old common sense would tell me to look at where the work was done. I would have agreed to maybe 3 hours at tops but no way in hell 7.5 hours.

So if any of you need dealer work in Gresham Oregon, I would watch out for these guys: Murray Chevrolet

And you wonder why people distrust dealers or for that matter the whole automotive repair industry. In my shop I wouldn't have the balls to charge someone that much to repair an open circuit. Even if it took me 7.5 hours because that would mean I didn't know what the hell I was doing in the first place! Sorry for the rant and raving but I had to vent!

Not another non first hand warning!

What is the reason you aren't naming the shop doing the addons?

They are the one's that are using bad practices and should be avoided at all costs.

Why didn't they fix the harness or pay for the repairs?

How is a "misuse" a waranty item? That was bad advice to make a dealer waranty claim. It's not just dishonest, it's fraud.

Most shops use a fixed labor/materials guide, such as Mitchel's instead of actual repair/replacement time. So it probably listed a standard procedure with total time.

1. Diagnose. Most service writers actually will say it's a minimum hour(s) charge.

2. Remove headliner.

3. Disconnect/remove harness. This harness most likely has the visor lamps, reading lamps, roof marker lights, etc.

4. Remove harness wrap, repair all damage, rewrap.

5. Reinstall/connect harness.

6. Reinstall headliner.

Why wouldn't all that be 6+ hours?

Yea, anybody else would remove the pillar, stretch the harness for working room, struggle to splice the wires, then "pray" that the harness with the splices will fit back (most cases barely), then slam back on the pillar.

I agree with Tucson. This is in no way warranty work. It was damaged by adding aftermarket equipment, not through normal use. The shop that damaged it should pay for the repair, not other GM car buyers. The price of fraud and misuse of warranties is eventually passed on to other consumers. Instead of being angry at the dealer, you should be upset with the shop the broke it in the first place.

When I read the beware post, I couldn't help but wonder if he even told the service dept that someone had drilled the harness. If not, the service tech was probably checking everything, including the mirror assy. This takes time.

If I screwed something up and took it to the dealer to fix it, I would be prepared to pay for what I messed up. I would also never ever expect them to fix my mistake under warranty.

I agree, he should be upset with the shop that incompetantly drilled through a panel without knowing what was behind it, not the dealer. I'd be sending the bill to the shop that tried to install the gauge pod, not bitching about the dealer.

Tjwong, you and your friend are really stupid for trying to pass the blame on to the dealer.

If you damage the truck, whatever it maybe, THATS NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY.

And if they didn't know what the problem was, they has to search for it, IF your friend would have told him what was damaged they wouldn't have had to spend time tracking it down, there for it would have been cheaper.

My friend, I truly hate your post, it is awfull.

I run a LD 3/4 ton 4l60-e in my truck, and I have had over 1500 dollars in warranty work done to it, Its hard enough to get the dealers to work on that, (even though its totally legit with the warranty being its in an s-10) and with people like you, it makes it even harder to get stuff done.

Was the dealer told this occured right after the install? That part wasn't clear. If not, shame on you and the owner of the truck. You got what you deserved. If the service department was told, shame on them! I don't believe it should have taken that much time in that case. It's not a real complex circuit.

I've been there many times with aftermarket crap added on. The customer is always like, "It couldn't be the [fill in the appropriate aftermarket item] because that equipment has been there since the beginning." Well, duh, so has the original equipment! The OE stuff can fail but the shoddy aftermarket install can't? I never understood that logic.

In any case, the customer rarely admits to something like this in the hopes that we won't know (we always do) and it'll just get fixed under warranty (read FREE). When we spend untold time on it and tell them what it's going to cost to fix their screw up, we're thieves!

He was wrong in expecting it to be under warranty

The dealer did overcharge, but has anyone ever come away from a dealership feeling like they got a good deal?

There is no doubt in my mind, and probably anyone elses on here, that the shop that installed the pods should be responsible for the bill. Under no circumstances should he not accept full reimbursement for the bill from the shop that did the shotty job. I could even understand small claims court for this deal.

This topic should definately be a rant about the shop that installed, with an "oh, by the way the dealership charged my 7.5 hours to fix it." I'm still not sure why you didn't title it as such...

But I do think a couple guys above may have gone a bit over-board with "i truley hate your thread, it is awful..." but that's just me;)

I was going to answer this, but thought I was way to harsh. Soiling my already soiled name. :ughdance: Boy was I wrong. :bs:

The one good thing that may come out of this is.... He now know's to go to the aftermarket installer first. damm 7.5hrs @ $70 an hr = $525

I'm guessing he did'nt contact the A.I. until after he got the Dealer bill. My answer to him would have been you should have let us look first.

Guest chevydeerhunter

Warranties are set by manufacturers to cover any type of defect of materials or workmanship of your vehicle. Honestly, we are only human and we do make mistakes. The computers used to run the machines are made and programmed by man, the machines themselves are made by man as are the materials. What you and your friend did in absolutely no way fell under those guidelines of the warranty. If I were the service department, I would have, at the very least, called the owner of the truck into the service bay and showed him the damage. If he then agreed to have it fixed, I would have fixed it and charged him every cent it took to fix it. You willfully and shamfully took advantage of that service department. :thumbs:

The problem lies in the initial contact with someone from GM, where the person stated there was a rash of bad mirrors apparently. That got the truck owner excited and got him thinking it would be fixed free. I bet the contact at GM wasn't told about the recent addition of the gauge pod on the pillar, immediately after which the mirror stopped working. Had he known that, he could have said "expect to pay".

The other problem lies in not telling the service writer what happened right before the device stopped working. I troubleshoot computers all day, when one stops working, one of the questions I ask is "what did it do right before it stopped working", that's often a VERY good diagnostic tool.

Guest chevydeerhunter
The problem lies in the initial contact with someone from GM, where the person stated there was a rash of bad mirrors apparently.  That got the truck owner excited and got him thinking it would be fixed free.  I bet the contact at GM wasn't told about the recent addition of the gauge pod on the pillar, immediately after which the mirror stopped working.  Had he known that, he could have said "expect to pay".

The other problem lies in not telling the service writer what happened right before the device stopped working.  I troubleshoot computers all day, when one stops working, one of the questions I ask is "what did it do right before it stopped working", that's often a VERY good diagnostic tool.

The actual problem is dishonesty and greed...period.

TJ, I do have to agree with what most have said, It's the Aftermarket shop's fault, not the dealer. Expecting that stuff to be covered by warranty was not a good call. I feel the pain for your friend, but unfortunately, you Both are pointing the finger at the wrong place.

With that said, I have something else to say.....

I don't like lecturing you guys, but something here doesn't sit right with me and I must speak.

Tjwong, you and your friend are really stupid for trying to pass the blame on to the dealer.

Are comments like this really called for? C'mon guys.

Everybody makes bad judgement calls in their lifetime, nobody's perfect. GM-TC is not the place for calling people stupid, and whatnot. That's not what we're all here for.

Archived