Prepping for plow?

I am looking at buying a 98 GMC 1/2 ton ex. cab Z71 with tow package. I want to equip the truck with a 7.5' Curtis plow (690lbs). My prep list so far includes full fluid change, shocks, torsion bar adjustment, and adding Timbrens. What else should I consider doing to prep the truck.

I know many of you will suggest just going for the 2500 series, but they just aren't in my price range in the condition I am looking for.

If it dosen't already have one (which it might since it has the trailering pkg.)

Definetly add an auxilary tranny cooler.

<sigh> I know you don't want to hear it but I have to say it and I say it out of respect for a good truck, The 1500 Z71 should not be used for plowing. I am very sure you can find a 2500 or 3500 for a good price in which the plowing will be better suited for you. A 1/2 ton truck just isn't made for that kind of abuse, I see 1/2 ton trucks here in Colorado that have plows on them but they are so old and beat up people don't really care what happens to them.

<sigh> I know you don't want to hear it but I have to say it and I say it out of respect for a good truck, The 1500 Z71 should not be used for plowing. I am very sure you can find a 2500 or 3500 for a good price in which the plowing will be better suited for you. A 1/2 ton truck just isn't made for that kind of abuse, I see 1/2 ton trucks here in Colorado that have plows on them but they are so old and beat up people don't really care what happens to them.

I have a 2002 Sierra 1500 that has been used for plowing for 3 years. I plow about 8 driveways plus my own. I think you'll be fine if you remember that your driving a 1/2 ton truck. Don't go out thinking you can plow a foot of heavy wet snow all at once. Just use some common sense. I always plow in tow haul mode and am careful about making shift changes from D to R or vice versa without coming to a complete stop. You problably have the 4L60 tranny that will not be to forgiving of abuse. I changed the torsion bar keys and added a leaf to the rear. A tranny cooler is also a must. If you have the tow package you may have the tranny cooler already. Good Luck. Jeff

My 04 silverado came from the factory with the snow plow prep package. And yes it is the 1500 series with a 5.3L. You shoulden't have any problems plowing with your truck. I don't have a plow for my silverado yet. So you know what I plow with, my 86 S10. Yes an S10 with a 7' Fisher power angle plow. I have owned the S10 for 5 years now and plowed with it every year. I couple years ago we had 20" of snow here in Pittsburgh, I just throw the S10 in 4low and hold it down! If my S10 can do it, so can a 1500 Silverado!

I agree with Worktruck. I have an 02 Chevy 1/2 ton Z71 with a Meyer plow, 3 winters so far no problems. I plow my own drive and sometimes a couple more. Had a 94 Chevy 1/2 ton before this one that plowed for 8 winters, zero problems. Before that I had an 84 Chevy 1/2 ton that plowed for 5 winters, also no problems. Maintain your equipment and use a little common sense and Chevy trucks will do amazing things for you. Here in Michigan a lot of people plow with 1/2 ton trucks. They just don't normally do commercial plowing with them.

JCTB

I think what some above were getting at was that the 1/2 CAN be used to plow, but probably isn't the greatest choice if you're looking to make a business out of it. I wouldn't mind having a plow on my 99 ext cab z71, but $ and the brush guard will keep me from that until I get rid of the truck more than likely. I know our public works department uses S-10's and Wranglers to do the walks around city hall and such over the winter.

I have an 04 1500 Sierra and have a 7.5' plow on it with no issues (personal use only). If you are going to use it to start a plowing business I might reconsider, but for a driveway or two you'll be fine. You might not need the Timbrens unless you plan to drive alot with the plow on, I don't use them, I also don't drive around town with the plow dangling all day though. Good Luck

I think what some above were getting at was that the 1/2 CAN be used to plow, but probably isn't the greatest choice if you're looking to make a business out of it.

Exactly the point.

You might not need the Timbrens unless you plan to drive alot with the plow on, I don't use them, I also don't drive around town with the plow dangling all day though.

I wouldn't leave a plow hanging off the front of a 1 ton all day either. I get a kick out of the trucks I see up here in Maine for sale in the spring and summer that have a plow hanging off the front and for sale on the side of the road. Ya, plow off the ground and the truck sitting for months that way. Makes me wanna rush up and buy it. :D

ZORA...............As a long time plower..............That truck will

plow just FINE.

You already have the tow and Z package so you already have

the aux. trans. cooler, oil cooler, HD susp. etc..............

NO need for Timbrens since your gonna use a 7 1/2 ft.

straight blade. Only a couple of twists on your torsion bars

IF NECESSARY!

Are you buying a NEW plow ? If so IMO go with a new

Western Ultra-mount. VERY dependable and NO pesky

external solenoids like a Meyers...............

Guys at the plow sites I post at either swear AT or by a

Meyers ! :seeya:

This time of year a lightly used plow is EASY to find in snow

country.

Plus you can save a BUNCH of $$$ over buying new

Check out these sites for real world plowing info:

http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums

http://www.plowsite.com/forums

Good luck and keep us posted!.................geo

Archived