Break in for new 6L

Congratulations on the new purchase. Don't pull anything for the first 1,000 miles to let the engine break in good. Drop the factory oil at 1,000 and refill with the oil of your choice. Myself, I run Havoline 5-30. After that I change at 2,000 mile intervals. I am sure other people will have different ideas, but this is how I did mine.

For the 6.0 brake in, you can only make left turns for the first 754.6 miles, this is due to the geometry of the crank oil scraper. If you make any right turns the knomes will come out with their widgets and start readjusting your valve lash untill all hell brakes loose.

Personally, I change breakin oil like this- 500, 1000~2000, 3000 then start regular intervals.

I'd recommend getting a FilterMag for breakin (and beyond, of course). I have one now but sure wish I would have had it then. The things are way-sweet and super effective, and they're pretty inexpensive, like $30 or so.

Yeah, no towing for at least 1000 miles, I'd say a bit more, really. These 6.0s are tight engine, I really don't think mine broke in for 10k miles !!! I thought it was done at 6k, but it did something to change my mind ?? Dunno, but have heard that at other places, too....

The thing has UNBELIEVABLE strength !!!!!!! Gotta use a pry bar of some sort to remove it from the filter. I don't think a single particle of metal can come w/in inches of it w/out getting trapped !!!

Magnetic drain plugs SUCK compared to these things.

I've got pics of mine at home, I'll try to remember to post a pic ;)

The magnet would only catch ferrous particles, and not anything metallic. There are plenty of other metals floating in the oil, and the filter should trap them w/o assistance. If not, you may want to consider a better filter.

I think I will put 500 or 600 easy miles on it, have Jilly Lube change it, then put an easy 1000 miles on, then put synthetic in myself and never look back.

-Chuck

Its a truck, drive the hell out of it as often as possible. I picked up my truck with 6 miles on it. At 12 miles it was pulling my nearly 13000 lb boat and about 1000 pound payload across the state. 15,000 miles later no problems and the truck only gets used to tow and haul.

The truck uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles, thought that was excessive, but 3 dealers have told me thats within guidelines for an 8.1. Oh well, I have a good idea of when to add oil, it tells me to on my dash.. It says check engine oil so I put two quarts in it and it fills it right up. On the second time it says it I figure its time for an oil change, but then again I have already changed 2/3rds of it.

Anyway, they are made to work, thats what I bought it for, if it breaks it breaks and besides its under warranty. I won't have it long enough for the warranty to run out so oh well.

My boat has two HO 496's in it and they work hard as hell all day long and they don't break, but replacing them is in the neighborhood of $20,000 a piece. Might take a little better care of those.

Enjoy your new truck they are great.

2004 GMC Regular Cab SLE 4x4 8.1 / Allison

My 6.0L 2005 2500HD got babied to the max when it was new. All take-offs at light throttle, especially when cold. Kept max rpm's down to 3000 for the first 1000 miles, then maybe 4000 rpm max since then. Only recently have I tried a WOT 1-2 shift...I think the trans shifted at about 5000 rpm.

Very little "OD" use below 55 mph...I usually use "3" for around-town driving, because I didn't want it to develop a drone from running the engine at too low a rpm.

Changed the oil at 3400 miles to Mobil-1, also a Mobil-1 filter.

Now it has 4000 miles on the Mobil-1. After reading the post above (I know, different engine), I figured I better check the dipstick to see where it stands. Expected maybe it'd have used a quart by now. But, incredible though it may seem, it's still right at the full mark. Hasn't used any oil at all.

Maybe I just lucked out. But maybe a gentle break in helped.

Archived