Who has installed a supercharger..particularly a V

I just purchased (after along search) and installed a Vortech Supercharge on a '91 5.7 l motor in a 8' bed dually. I am seeing no difference. Boost is at 5 lb and the gas pressure is at 10 - 13 lb. I haven't had it to the dyno yet, because it's real ball buster trying a duallie on a dyno. I thought I would wait until I have good results and then spend the money and time to get it ont he dyno. I did the dyno before the install to get a base line. Went from 115 hp to 133 hp with just a little timing change, but no noticable difference since the charger was installed. Jsut need a little input here.

Thanks

JB

From years of supercharged engine tuning here's some things to look at:

Boost leaks, from any hose of all sizes, they seal with vacuum but blow off boost with pressure. This would explain your low boost and will cause a bad A/F ratio. The best thing to do is zip tie and hose clamp every connection that sees pressure when in boost. If you can use a smoke machine you'll find them quickly. If not another option is to rig up a low pressure air line plumbed in the intake anywhere after the throttle body. With regulators blow about 12 PSI into a closed intake and spray down everything with soapy water, when you see bubbles you found a leak and a source of lost power.

Plug gap, go way down. Air is an excellent electrical insulator, when more is crammed into the plug gap it's that much harder to make a spark jump across sucessfully and consistantly. To prevent WOT boosted misfiring go down to about .040-.050. I found 0.47 to work well on my Supercoupe's DIS but the trucks conventional single coil system can't produce as much voltage so you'll most likely find something closer to .040" works better for you.

Belt slippage, do whatever it takes to ensure your belt is tight and has as much wrap of the blower pulley as possible.

Fuel pressure, adequate fuel supply on a supercharged engine is essential. A clean filter and stout pump are mandatory. Monitor pressure under WOT in third gear it shouldn't fall more than 1 psi, if it does you've got some work to do.

Timing, stock timing curves are the maximum tolerable with premium fuel and low boost. If you've got a chip or some form of timing advance do away with it.

Well time to eat, may have more later.

Vernon

Yesterday.....double checked the timing.OK The way it is running is fine for an engine with out boost or fuel. It runs up and seems to hit a wall, but there seems also to be more but the motor is not giving it. So, my thought was.....I disconnect the OEM injectors, shot 5 lb of air into the vaccum line to energize the (what ever is is in the module) and open the Vortech injectors in the TB and then trying to start the enging. This was to check to see if the Vortech injectors are delivering gas. (Now this was just a thought) it did not start. So, I reassembled all and just keep looking and rechecking allthe wiring and vaccum hoses. All seems the way the instructions say to do. My next thought is ...bad module from the manufacture.

Got me......

Just an update..FINALLY got a human at Vortech that could speak and understand english. Besides being very helpful and understanding. Their first concern was "the unit you have is obsolete", which I reminded him that THEY searched their dealers and found me a charger system for my '91. Anyway, what we did to check it out was what they would have suggested and agreed that the module is not working. So, I sent it back. Now it's just a waiting game untilt hey return it. Vortech also mentioned that they no longer have nor make parts for this model......WOW is that refreshing...........NOT

the saga later...will continue

Archived