Magnaflow & Airaid

04-silver

I have an 04 Silverado, LS, EC, 4x4, 6.0, 4:10. Fuel was/is consistent at 19.5 litres per 100 klms.

I just installed myself today:

*Airaid cold air intake 200-145

*Airaid Throttle body spacer 200-514

I had installed about a week an a half ago:

*Magnaflow Hi Flow Cats (2) 54309

*Magnaflow muffler 112339 (I think they wote the wrong part # down)

So far, before the Airaid stuff, I have noticed some peppiness from the exhaust alone.

Definitly noisier in the cab, droany/resonance. Does have a good deep tone to it tho.

I'm hoping I will notice all this when I pull the 5th wheel-approx. 7000lbs loaded.

Anyway I'll try to update ocassionally, after fuel ups, anything blatantly noticeable etc.

:)

John

First off, I'm really not all that experienced with this kinda stuff. I just keep reading this forum and talk to a bunch friends about these mods/changes and take it from there.

Due to the resonance/droan in the cab from the new exhaust, which isn't horrendous mind you, it's just like being in an airplane so to speak, that constant background noise. Thats about the best I can describe it without one actually sitting in the cab.

Anyway, due to the above I haven't heard the whistle when driving but when I'm parked with my head out the door and I rev the truck I can hear a whistle noise somewhat, I didn't hear any high pitch, seems ok to me but mostly what I do hear when I'm revving the truck is the initial air being sucked.

Basically any noise coming from under the hood isn't over powering and it does give off that hi-performance impression .:eek:

silver-rado

Make sure you reset you ecu after your mods.

and how does one do that? :) Do i have to chip it out (plan on doing that later)as in buy more stuff or just disconnect the positive batt cable which I've already done.

:cool:

John

What I've noticed to date:exhaust has been in 11 days/CAI & TBS are 2 days in)

With hood up and in park:

- TBS does whistle- Is it loud? no. Is it noticable? yes, not bad tho.

-Sucking air sound, oh yea. Remember when you had the air filter off on a 4 barrel carb and punched it, I believe it sounds like that but more..........hmmmm, prominent.

-Cab resonance, must be getting use to it or the hi-flow cats and muffler are settling in. Is still somewhat annoying when cruising at 1500/1800 rpms, 60/70 kph, but that might just be me though. (I have seen many sun rises ya know :cheers: )

-Whatever whistling , air sucking noises there is are drowned out by the deep exhaust tone.

When driving:

-More horse and torque, has to be! I mostly drive in "D" in the city, give it a little punch, it'll put you back, whiplash definitly not, spilt coffee on those clean clothes, oh yea.

-When in 3rd and cruising around 70 kph and given a little punch, coffee better not be hot.......... :flag: That definitly puts you back. Once again I'm not talking whiplash.

This may be coincidence, or something on the road beats me but when I was doing about 70kph going down the on ramp, I punched on it hard (so I could merge safely :D ) and I felt the ass end or what I thought was a bit of a whiggle like on ice, and doing 110 kph like that. Never felt that before

like I said earlier:

First off, I'm really not all that experienced with this kinda stuff. I just keep reading this forum and talk to a bunch friends about these mods/changes and take it from there.

I plan on pulling my 5th this weekend which is really why I did these mods to date. The 6.0 pulls good, just seemed when doing 110kph and in a head wind the horse and torque were around 80/85% used, not much left. Not that I'm a speed demon but I don't like hanging on by the end of the rope either.

edit-I forgot, as far as the mpg go to soon to tell for sure. Only have 600 klms with no change. Wasn't really why I did these mods so any increase in mpg would be a bonus.

Hope you can get the feel or understanding by my descriptions.

:cheers:

John

Well took the 5th out this past weekend. It weighs approx. 7000lbs loaded.

The mpg seemed to stay the same. Mind you I did push the truck harder, 120/130 kph.

The truck was a lot quicker off the light. Left quite a few back there.......lol.

All in all it seemed that the truck did pull better than before the mods. This is what I wanted.

I'm taking the 5th out again this long weekend, won't be as hard on the truck this time and I'll see if the mpg change.

:fume:

John

Pulled the 5th for a second time, definitly pulls well.

As for mpg........might of picked up .5 mpg.

Seems I'm always cruising around 120+ now..... :chevy: Oh well want to camp not drive.

:seeya:

John

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been almost a month now, end result:

Truck does have more power and is quite a bit more peppyer(sp)

No mpg increase at all.

Does do what I initally wanted this to do, pull the 5th wheel better and it does.

I'm probably chip it out later, Predator or Hypertech at this point, untill I hear better.

John

I've never had exhaust or intake (bolt-ons anyway) mods make one bit of difference in gas mileage. I've probably changed them both on at least 8 trucks that I've owned.

Performance has kind of depended on the vehicle. But neither mod has given my anything huge. Still hasn't stopped me from doing it on all of them though :cheers:

As was stated above, do the chip. It will be the best bang for the buck you can spend, and you WILL get more HP as well as better mil...um...litres per gallon.

Westers, Nelsons, or (site sponsor) PCMForLess (link on left of page) would be my suggestions for an aftermarket tune/chip.

I've never had exhaust or intake (bolt-ons anyway) mods make one bit of difference in gas mileage. I've probably changed them both on at least 8 trucks that I've owned.

Performance has kind of depended on the vehicle. But neither mod has given my anything huge. Still hasn't stopped me from doing it on all of them though :cheers:

As was stated above, do the chip. It will be the best bang for the buck you can spend, and you WILL get more HP as well as better mil...um...litres per gallon.

Westers, Nelsons, or (site sponsor) PCMForLess (link on left of page) would be my suggestions for an aftermarket tune/chip.

Litres per gallon?? Someone has forgotten their metric system...haha...that would be kilometers per liter... :)

Actually we(Canucks) go by how many litres per 100 klms.

Normal city driving, to and from work and what not, the truck uses 19.5 litres per 100 klm=14.5mpg (imperial gallons)

When pulling the 7000 lb 5th, truck uses 29.5 litres per 100 klms=9.5 mpg.

We don't get to far with a 98 liter tank and 100 klms is equivalent to 62 miles :D

Anyway back to the mods, the improvements were really only moderate, noticeable but moderate.

I should have went with my original thought and chipped first, oh well.

John

Performance has kind of depended on the vehicle. But neither mod has given my anything huge. Still hasn't stopped me from doing it on all of them though :D

Litres per gallon?? Someone has forgotten their metric system...haha...that would be kilometers per liter... :P

Ah yes. :P

So let me get this straight...It's litres per gallon and miles per kilometer, right? And $1 U.S. is $132.50 Canadian, right? Goofy canucks and their metric money. Is a fathom the same in Canada as it is in the US? What about a dollop? A dab?

Thanks sincity, I don't know what I was thinking. :D

Performance has kind of depended on the vehicle. But neither mod has given my anything huge. Still hasn't stopped me from doing it on all of them though :P

Litres per gallon?? Someone has forgotten their metric system...haha...that would be kilometers per liter... :eek:

Ah yes. :D

So let me get this straight...It's litres per gallon and miles per kilometer, right? And $1 U.S. is $132.50 Canadian, right? Goofy canucks and their metric money. Is a fathom the same in Canada as it is in the US? What about a dollop? A dab?

Thanks sincity, I don't know what I was thinking. :P

All right...where did my slap wingnut upside the head with a 2x4 button go???? :wtf:

:D

• 1 month later...

I just ordered The Airaid CAI and their throttle body spacer for my 93 1500 with 5.7 and 5 speed. I'll to this as soon as I've installed the items.

Thanks for you review. It helped me make the choice for Airaid....Then again. If it turns out to be crap....I can blame everything on you...

Amen,

Reverend Colin

hey 04-silver what was the price on the Airaid kit for you

P.S since I am a goofy canuck as wingnut puts it you don't have to do a conversion to usd

Hey NDT Guy, I could be wrong but I'm thinking we work right across the street from each other.

Look out your north door, do you see a Truck with an Alberta Beef "Eat Me" sticker on the r-s of the back window?

John

Archived