Gear Change- 3.73-4.10 1500 HD QS

I currently have a 2003 1500 HD 4x4 Quadrasteer 6.0L, 3.73's...

I am researching the possiblity of changing out the gears (front and rear) to the 4.10's (GT5). This is of interest to me for the improved towing capacity and performance.

I have seen posts here and elsewhere from others who have had this done to 4x4 NON-QS trucks, but have not yet found any info from anyone who has had this done on a QS truck.

It seems like this would be best performed by a dealer, as the QS would have to be removed, reinstalled, and recalibrated. Do any of you have any insight into this proceedure? Any GM Tech's out there who have done this or can recommend for or against the idea? :cheers:

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can provide...

Only thing I can mention is to be prepared to break the bank doing the swap. Gear changes alone are rather pricy, but add in the QS system, and thats several extra labor hours. :cheers: The 4.10 will definately improve towing and city drivability, but your highway fuel economy will suffer. Hope this helps.

I've never had it done, but I've always heard gear swaps are pricey. As silverado3500 stated, you will get lower fuel efficiency with the 4.10s. You really need to weigh out the money to be spent versus actual gain of performance and see if the swap is cost effective. It wouldn't be to me. :cheers:

It seems like this would be best performed by a dealer, as the QS would have to be removed, reinstalled, and recalibrated. Do any of you have any insight into this proceedure? Any GM Tech's out there who have done this or can recommend for or against the idea? :cheers:

I've done this on a non QS truck, and it's fairly straightforward, but then again,

I've been doing this professionally for 25 years. Haven't had to do any work

on a QuadraSteer equipped truck, but having read some of the service

information procedures on it, it doesn't look fun and definitely not something

for the casual backyarder.

Probably best to just live with what you have, or sell it and go get what

you want. To me, Quadrasteer is a joke...and I certainly would not want

it on any truck I purchased. Just way too much stuff to go wrong. Our dealership

is the second largest in the city, and I don't believe that we have even sold "one"

truck equipped with Quadrasteer.

Ian

Archived