2001 Z71 gmc truck

2001z71gmc

Question

have a 2001 Z71 gmc truck i was driven it down the road last night and went around a curve and it died on me i put it in neutral and it started backup for me but now it acts like it is running out of gas but it just acts this way sometimes not always and now the check engine light is on so i took it to the auto parts store and hooked it up to the machine to get the codes out of it and it said .

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)

P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)

it said these codes 2 times and then it said

P0300 Random/Multiple

Cylinder Misfire Detected

does anyone know what could be causing this thank you for your help

0 answers to this question

i just got done changing the fuel filter and it seems better but it still does it do you think the fuel pump or filter would cause the misfire code that iam getting or could that be a bad plug or wire doing this thank you for your help.

have a 2001 Z71 gmc truck i was driven it down the road last night and went around a curve and it died on me i put it in neutral and it started backup for me but now it acts like it is running out of gas but it just acts this way sometimes not always and now the check engine light is on so i took it to the auto parts store and hooked it up to the machine to get the codes out of it and it said .

P0300 Random/Multiple

The first two codes may be a bad/dirty MAF. I threw P0171 in my last truck, cleaned MAF and SES went away. The misfire is possibly bad plugs/wires. Is the SES light flashing while you are driving? Cory

P0300 Random/Multiple

The first two codes may be a bad/dirty MAF. I threw P0171 in my last truck, cleaned MAF and SES went away. The misfire is possibly bad plugs/wires. Is the SES light flashing while you are driving? Cory

the light came on when it started doing this but after i changed the fuel filter and drove it about 15 miles it went off and it is still off. i will clean the MAF and see if that helps it any what would be the best stuff to clean it with should i use carb and choke cleaner or something else and iam going to get plugs and wires for it in the morning is there another way to clear the codes besides taken the battery termail because i don't have the codes for the radio. thank you for all your help

There is a little screen in the fuel pressure regulator too. I've never removed mine, but it looks pretty straight forward. It might be worth a look. From what I gather, you take off the intake plastic cover, and remove the vacum line on the regulator and remove the clip holding it on.

I ordered plugs and wires online. I got the 41-985 iridium plugs which replace the stock platinums for about 6.50 each, and a set of wires for about $55. The platinums are gapped at .060 and the iridiums at .040. (they should come pre-gapped)

i got a fuel pressure gauge today and it has about 15 psi and a couple times it went to about 20 psi and when it acts like it is starving for gas it goes between 5 and 10 psi it does not change much if you rev it up so think it is safe to say i need a new fuel pump.

i was told it was easier to pull the bed off this truck to change the fuel pump is this true or do i need to drop the tank.

update i let it idle for about the last 20 min with the fuel presure gauge hooked up to it and now it has about 40 psi i reved it up and it droped to about 35 psi will a fuel pump do this thank you all for all your help

For the MAF, use electrical component cleaner, just spray it, don't touch it with anything like a cloth or anything, just spray it from both ends, and let it drip / air dry.

Archived