Which Eaton differential do I have?

My new 2005 GMC Sierra crew cab has the locking differential option. I have been doing a little online research to understand how it works, and have that part fairly well understood, but I am still unclear as to which model I have in my truck. I gather that the first generation was called "Gov-loc", and the next generation is called "Command-traxx". Eaton's site does not list either, but they do list one they call the "G-80". Is the G-80 just Eaton's designation for command-traxx or gov-loc?

One article stated that the gov-locs have a tendency to fly apart easily, whereas the command-traxx is built much heavier. Any additional info on this would be appreciated.

Matt

The G-80 is the Gov-Loc.

IMO they suck, I never had one go bad, but if your doin a mud run the stupid things unlock at the "goverened" setting. I think my 96 came unlocked when the tires hit 20 mph, and wouldn't lock back up untill they hit about 4-5 mph. So you have a open rearend when you don't want it. As soon as it unlocked, you knew it, cuz you stopped dead in the water.

But for hwy driving they are good i guess, always unlocked so you don't spin around at high speeds.

According to this... http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/3243/index5.html they are nearly the same

but to answer your question.. I dont know.

But under normal use, the gov-loc works fine. The smaller units are more prone to failure (10bolt diffs and under). However, I had on in my 84 s10 and I just sold it with 300,000 miles on it, I beat on it quite often and it survived... so take it for what its worth.

This here, says Command traxx is standard on "Premium" GM products.. look at booth 1429

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articl...orer+Sport+Trac

Hope this helps

The G-80 is the Gov-Loc.

IMO they suck, I never had one go bad, but if your doin a mud run the stupid things unlock at the "goverened" setting. I think my 96 came unlocked when the tires hit 20 mph, and wouldn't lock back up untill they hit about 4-5 mph. So you have a open rearend when you don't want it. As soon as it unlocked, you knew it, cuz you stopped dead in the water.

I don't think they unlock at 20MPH if they are already locked I think they just wont lock up if not already locked at 20+.

bigdog, I believe you are correct, my 84 s10 would stay locked in as long as you didn't cause excessive wheel spin while accelerating... But if you just mashed the throttle down, the thing would bang in and out. Mainly because the axle shafts where twisting and acting like springs... and basically would load and unload the differential. Too many people just floor it and the diff doesn't know what todo. I found that a steady throttle would get me out of most conditions.

I can certainly see how some people might not like them.. but I also know why GM used them.

They are easier on the truck than a full locker. You can turn with out pushing the front end... especially in slick conditions and you generally dont want a diff to lock up at speeds. For instance, if you are making a turn on snow at 35 mph and your inside tire starts to spin.. you dont want the diff to lock up or to have a full locker because your going to drift (fish-tail) and at that speed your going to need some lateral distance to recover. Also, running a locker or a locked differential on dry roads really puts a fair amount of stress on axle shafts and the diff as a whole.

As for complaints about them not working great off road... well they wern't designed for off-roading as a main concern otherwise GM would have used a full-locker. They are there to give the truck desirable charactoristics of both on and offroad use. If you want to upgrade, air lockers or electric lockers are ideal.

Thanks for your help guys. I was kind of hoping that they started putting the comand traxx in everything instead of the gov-loc.

I don't plan on doing any serious mudding, so hopefully the gov-loc will stay intact.

bigdog, I believe you are correct, my 84 s10 would stay locked in as long as you didn't cause excessive wheel spin while accelerating... But if you just mashed the throttle down, the thing would bang in and out.  Mainly because the axle shafts where twisting and acting like springs... and basically would load and unload the differential.  Too many people just floor it and the diff doesn't know what todo.  I found that a steady throttle would get me out of most conditions. 

As for complaints about them not working great off road... well they wern't designed for off-roading as a main concern otherwise GM would have used a full-locker.  They are there to give the truck desirable charactoristics of both on and offroad use.  If you want to upgrade, air lockers or electric lockers are ideal.

They may react differently on a semi-floater and a full floater too being they axles aren't acting as spring (atleast as much) on full floaters. Both the G80s I ever had were on full floaters.

I also agree full lockers (had them on both ends of a Blazer project I did) makes driving on the street a little more fun. My Polaris Sportsman has lockers on both ends as well and you know it. Having true 4WD does not mean you wont get stuck tho, as have gotten stuck plenty on the ATV only to have all 4 wheels spinning. If I was going to upgrade mine at all I'd probably go with an elocker in the front first and then maybe replace the G80 in back with an elocker.

I agree about the getting stuck comment... when I used to offroad regularly... the more equipement Ide get to keep me unstuck.... just resulted in me trying gnarlier stuff and ended up in me getting more stuck than I had ever been. The more I buried it, the harder it was to get out. Kind of ironic but true.

Archived