Plastic body parts color

Hey body guys. What color is the unpainted plastic on the front air d**n and fender flares on an 04 GMC? Can it be left bare or does it have to be painted?

For anyone interested. The story behind the question.

After a week of tuck pointing I took today off. Figured I'd give the truck it's annual wash. Got out the pressure washer. Forgot to check the tip size. Since it's last use was blowing out mortar the high pressure tip was installed. Well I pull the trigger on some nasty bug splats on the front valance. I now have a silver dollar size area of black where the sliver paint used to be. Instead of just leaving it (repair cosmetic damage to a work truck, I don't think so) I though it would look cool with an all black valance/air dam. Before I blow the rest of the paint off I just wanted to make sure the black was the plastic and I am not going to blow that off also. Then I got crazy and thought it would look good with the fender flares black also. This would be a fun project on a hot day. If all I need to do is strip the paint I will do it I don't want to have to repaint anything.

Paul,

I would check into the material makeup of the painted flares and valance. The unpainted flares and valence are a different type of plastic(more porous, rough texture). UV rays may be more damaging to yours if they do not have the protection of paint. You don't want it to fade like a rhino liner after a year. Just something to think about.

Paul,

I would check into the material makeup of the painted flares and valance.  The unpainted flares and valence are a different type of plastic(more porous, rough texture).  UV rays may be more damaging to yours if they do not have the protection of paint.  You don't want it to fade like a rhino liner after a year.  Just something to think about.

ss - is your valance black or is it just the picture.

The UV was what I was concerend about. Thanks for the tip on the flares being different front the valance. Maybe plan 2, a can of spray paint. Na, that seems like to much work with the masking and sanding crap.

I think it would look good. Already have that black strip between the lights and the bumper. Already got black running boards. Black under the bumper with black flares would tie it all together.

Paul,

I would check into the material makeup of the painted flares and valance.  The unpainted flares and valence are a different type of plastic(more porous, rough texture).  UV rays may be more damaging to yours if they do not have the protection of paint.  You don't want it to fade like a rhino liner after a year.  Just something to think about.

ss - is your valance black or is it just the picture.

The UV was what I was concerend about. Thanks for the tip on the flares being different front the valance. Maybe plan 2, a can of spray paint. Na, that seems like to much work with the masking and sanding crap.

I think it would look good. Already have that black strip between the lights and the bumper. Already got black running boards. Black under the bumper with black flares would tie it all together.

Paul,

My truck is Carbon Metallic (charcoal grey), and the lower valence is sprayed the body color. All SLE, SLT and properly equiped SL packages have the painted lower valance. The WT trim comes with black(unpainted) flares and minus the painted valance(dark grey plastic), minus chrome grill trim(dark grey plastic) and black, instead of chrome, bodyside moldings(or none at all). I guess what I am trying to say is: you may want to price a factory non-painted valance(WT version), rather than do all of the prep work and have it painted black, because black paint will still peel with the pressure washer. The unpainted (dark grey version) won't peel, ever.

Guest chevydeerhunter
Hey body guys. What color is the unpainted plastic on the front air d**n and fender flares on an 04 GMC? Can it be left bare or does it have to be painted?

BTW, it's air dam not air d**n. :(

Archived