PF59 now PF61?

Just went by the local Autozone this afternoon to get some oil and filter for an oil change. I had been running the PF46 on my 04, but had decided to go with the PF59. I did a double check to see if that was the part# for 99-02 but they called for a PF61. I bought it....seems to be identical to the PF59, so what's up with the part # change? Does anyone know if this filter is "better" than the PF59? Any input appreciated.

vroten :confused:

As a GM parts manager, i can tell you that the PF59 did NOT supersede to the PF61. The PF61's are used on cads and envoy/trailblazers and are not in ANY catalogue from GM for the fullsize p/u's. The 99-middle 02's use a pf59 or pf46, and the middle 02's and up use the pf46 specifically. The PF46 had a design change in the checkvalve, and now has an anti drainback valve that, according to GM "they really need". Hope this helps....take the 61 (or whatever they sold you) back to idiot shack and get a good acdelco filter....its worth the extra money.

Read these reports for help:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#acd-pf2

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...ilterstudy.html

Thanks

TONY

I got one too several months ago. I purchased a Delco PF61 at AutoZone as well. It was listed as the oil filter needed for my 99 5.3L Silverado. I wondered about it but figured that it was the NEW version. I am still running it and have since purchased a couple of PF59 filters for my next oil changes (I change my own). Wonder if I should pull the PF61 off and put a PF 59 on or just run it until time to change the oil again?

Thanks,

Fred

As a GM parts manager, i can tell you that the PF59 did NOT supersede to the PF61.  The PF61's are used on cads and envoy/trailblazers and are not in ANY catalogue from GM for the fullsize p/u's.  The 99-middle 02's use a pf59 or pf46, and the middle 02's and up use the pf46 specifically.  The PF46 had a design change in the checkvalve, and now has an anti drainback valve that, according to GM "they really need".  Hope this helps....take the 61 (or whatever they sold you) back to idiot shack and get a good acdelco filter....its worth the extra money.

Read these reports for help:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#acd-pf2

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterst...ilterstudy.html

Thanks

TONY

Were these reports done before they tested a K&N filter? I use the K&N Performance Gold filters as they are only a couple of bucks more than the Delco and although I didn't cut them apart the K&N looks a little more skookum than the Delco. :confused:

From what i have read and heard, the K&N is a good filtering filter..but there are OTHER things to consider in an oil filter than just filtration. Take a Fram for instance. This is possibly the WORST oil filter you can buy, but it has a decent filter media. There are two things to consider when examining an oil filter..the first is Construction (the case and internals), and the filter media type. Pretty much all oil filters have a fair to decent filter media, and filter well enough...the difference is in the construction. The fram uses a cardboard type seal for the check valve, and over time (usually less than 1000 miles), it tends to leak. What happens is that while you are driving, the filter is filtering fine, and doing its job. When you stop, and kill your engine, all that dirt should stay inside the filter (hence the check valve!). With a fram, the check valve, being made out of crap, doesnt hold, and all that dirty grimey oil drains back into your engine....making the filter virtually usless. Hope this helps someone understand a little more....Im not a GM salesman, but i will say this....in SOME cases, it just pays to use the stuff from the factory that was DESIGNED for our trucks....im not saying ALL cases, just some....we all know that there are aftermarket things out there that make our vehicles better....but some things, this being one, is for the best in my opinion. Not all of our dealerships are STEALERSHIPS...i take pride in telling my customers the truth, whether it makes me a sale, or not....

THANKS

TONY

From what i have read and heard, the K&N is a good filtering filter..but there are OTHER things to consider in an oil filter than just filtration.  Take a Fram for instance. This is possibly the WORST oil filter you can buy, but it has a decent filter media.  There are two things to consider when examining an oil filter..the first is Construction (the case and internals), and the filter media type.  Pretty much all oil filters have a fair to decent filter media, and filter well enough...the difference is in the construction.  The fram uses a cardboard type seal for the check valve, and over time (usually less than 1000 miles), it tends to leak.  What happens is that while you are driving, the filter is filtering fine, and doing its job.  When you stop, and kill your engine, all that dirt should stay inside the filter (hence the check valve!).  With a fram, the check valve, being made out of crap, doesnt hold, and all that dirty grimey oil drains back into your engine....making the filter virtually usless.  Hope this helps someone understand a little more....Im not a GM salesman, but i will say this....in SOME cases, it just pays to use the stuff from the factory that was DESIGNED for our trucks....im not saying ALL cases, just some....we all know that there are aftermarket things out there that make our vehicles better....but some things, this being one, is for the best in my opinion.  Not all of our dealerships are STEALERSHIPS...i take pride in telling my customers the truth, whether it makes me a sale, or not....

THANKS

TONY

You are right on the money about Fram, Also K&N is a well constructed filter and I have been using them for years with absolutely no problems. That being said I have also used Delco Filters and have had good success with them as well. Years ago OEM was a bad word when it came to replacement parts but the car companies have come a long way in making quality parts for your vehicle. As far as the Dealers go the one up where I live is an absolute great place to deal with, the parts guys are very knowledgeable and friendly and they go out of there way to make sure I am satisfied with my purchase. Sadly though it only takes one bad one or one idiot behind the counter to ruin it for all the others. :confused::eek:

The PF46 had a design change in the checkvalve, and now has an anti drainback valve that, according to GM "they really need".

I have a question: When I bought my 2004 Suburban (used with 8500 miles) from a GM dealer, it was serviced and ready to go. They installed a PF59 oil filter on it and I have with every oil change since. 3 of them if I remember correctly.

Should I really be running the PF 46?? It sounds like I should. Should I also run this filter on my 2000 Silverado with the 5.3 as well? I have 92k on my Silverado and have always run the PF59.

Thanks for your input.

The PF46 had a design change in the checkvalve, and now has an anti drainback valve that, according to GM "they really need".

I have a question: When I bought my 2004 Suburban (used with 8500 miles) from a GM dealer, it was serviced and ready to go. They installed a PF59 oil filter on it and I have with every oil change since. 3 of them if I remember correctly.

Should I really be running the PF 46?? It sounds like I should. Should I also run this filter on my 2000 Silverado with the 5.3 as well? I have 92k on my Silverado and have always run the PF59.

Thanks for your input.

There are many on this forum who are using the PF59 as a replacement on the 03+ trucks for the PF46. Most who do so note that the PF59 is a larger canister and should have more filtering media. Also the PF59 was OEM on 99-02 trucks and I don't know of any major differences in the 4.8 and 5.3 motor offerings between the 99-02's and 03+'s. Honestly I don't think you're going to hurt it with either. Just think how many folks are out there with these trucks having quick change oil joints doing their oil changes.... most of these places use some Fram derivitive oil filter and as has already been mentioned earlier in this forum you just about cannot do WORSE than a fram filter. I imagine these trucks are pretty tough.... too many of them on the road with many people driving who's idea of maintenance is filling it up with gas.

vroten :confused:

Please dont quote me on this, but i will check with GM techline tomorrow, but there is a slight difference in the middle 02's and up engines in the oil passages, i think...im NOT sure, but i did read somewhere a while back about some "improvements" that were made for a reason i cannot remember, but it was an "information bulletin" they sent out to the dealers. I can say this...that gm calls for a PF59 on 02 and earlier and a PF46 on 03 and up EXCLUSIVELY....I do also know that even though the 59 is a larger filter, the filter media used in the 46 is different...so even though it is smaller, the capacity could still be there. Like i said earlier too....dont worry about the size of the filter, as if we all change it like we should, all the filters FILTER, its the other stuff inside that makes the difference, and i am sure there are a lot of good filters out there besides the factory, but i KNOW the factory filter is designed for my truck...but just to show you an exception to the rule....the MOPAR 5281090 (most common filter mopar has!) is made by???? FRAM!.....sad huh...lol

TONY

P.S. After i talk with a GM tech, i will post tomorrow night on this oil filter subject..im kinda getting curious too about the truth of the difference.

• 1 year later...
Please dont quote me on this, but i will check with GM techline tomorrow, but there is a slight difference in the middle 02's and up engines in the oil passages, i think...im NOT sure, but i did read somewhere a while back about some "improvements" that were made for a reason i cannot remember, but it was an "information bulletin" they sent out to the dealers.  I can say this...that gm calls for a PF59 on 02 and earlier and a PF46 on 03 and up EXCLUSIVELY....I do also know that even though the 59 is a larger filter, the filter media used in the 46 is different...so even though it is smaller, the capacity could still be there.  Like i said earlier too....dont worry about the size of the filter, as if we all change it like we should, all the filters FILTER, its the other stuff inside that makes the difference, and i am sure there are a lot of good filters out there besides the factory, but i KNOW the factory filter is designed for my truck...but just to show you an exception to the rule....the MOPAR 5281090 (most common filter mopar has!) is made by????  FRAM!.....sad huh...lol

TONY

P.S. After i talk with a GM tech, i will post tomorrow night on this oil filter subject..im kinda getting curious too about the truth of the difference.

Hey Gotitbad,

Any update on this topic?

Archived