Spark plug aand ignition wires

My 2001 yukon 5.3 4x4 has 129k on it. I wanted to change the spark plugs to see if it would help out with my gas mileage. The truck was running great and I having been getting about 16.4 mpg. I pulled one of the factory plugs out to replace it with the same plug because the burn looked good and i was happy with getting 129k on a set of plugs. The stock plugs were iridium ac delco number 12567759 also labeled NGK pztr5a 15. The closest I could get from the dealer or auto parts store was ac delco 41-985 or 12571164. These look like a hotter plug. Does anyone know why the change?

I also broke an ignition wire trying to pull the old wires loose. My yukon has the delphi coils or the short wires 4.3 inches. I tried the auto part wires, auto zone and checker and fould to get the right wires I had to go back to the dealer. The after market wires bosch and autolite did not snap right into the coils.

Any other ideas why my gas mileage would fall a little bit over the years? With the price of gas I would like to get that 2 mpg back.

Thanks

My 2001 yukon 5.3 4x4 has 129k on it.  I wanted to change the spark plugs to see if it would help out with my gas mileage.  The truck was running great and I having been getting about 16.4 mpg.  I pulled one of the factory plugs out  to replace it with the same plug because the burn looked good and i was happy with getting 129k on a set of plugs.  The stock plugs were iridium ac delco number 12567759 also labeled NGK pztr5a  15.  The closest I could get from the dealer or auto parts store was ac delco 41-985 or 12571164.  These look like a hotter plug.  Does anyone know why the change?

I also broke an ignition wire trying to pull the old wires loose.  My yukon has the delphi coils or the short wires  4.3 inches.  I tried the auto part wires,  auto zone and checker and fould to get the right wires I had to go back to the dealer.  The after market wires  bosch and autolite did not snap right into the coils.

Any other ideas why my gas mileage would fall a little bit over the years?  With the price of gas I would like to get that 2 mpg back.

Thanks

O2 sensors will send your mileage into the toilet. Mine went at about 75K and I replaced the 2 pre-cat ones with Bosch. My mileage had dropped about 1.5-2mpg over a year and jumped right back up once I replaced them.

As for plugs and wires, I've been running NGK TR-55 copper plugs and Taylor 8mm Spiro wires in red :confused:

Not sure why the change...more than likely its just a vendor issue with GM...but the 12571164 is the correct plug for your vehicle. As far as the plug wires go, gm offers two depending on your coils...the main difference is the length of the wire, as we have found that the long wires work well on either coil, and snap up to the denso or delphi coils fine...Im a gm guy....so i like the gm stuff, but there are some good wires out there aftermarket......just stay away from idiot zone....if you dont get factory (and you can get acdelco from a parts house), go with napa, or someone credible...

TONY

Archived