Hole in my Transfer Case

My earlier post about the leak at my transfer case has been diagnosed as a small hole. Apparently, there is an anti-rattle clip located inside the transfer case that breaks and causes the hole to form from the inside out. The scary thing about it is that there is no way to inspect it unless you tear apart the transfer case or it starts leaking.

I had no idea that I had a hole in the transfer case, so I continued to drive the truck even after I noticed the drips on the floor last week. Last night, I put the truck on ramps in my garage and proceeded to drain the transfer case. According to my dealership, the case holds two quarts of Auto-Trak II that I purchased and I had in hand. I removed the plug and held a msaon jar underneath it and collected about an inch of fluid (a couple ounces). I put the plug back in, then put both quarts in and replaced the fill plug. Drove the truck off the ramps and out to the end of my lane and back (~1200ft) then put the truck back on the ramps. When I got out, I noticed the trail of blue dots that originated from the t-case. When I got underneath, I discovered the hole.

I am not really sure what to do now, but I did discuss this issue with my service guy while at the dealership yesterday. He told me that there was nothing they could do about it since my extended warranty expired 3K miles ago (currently @103.6K), but he would make contact with the regional rep to see if GM is doing anything about it.

I left the truck on the ramps and the 4x4 still works, so I hope that a new cover and clip will do the trick. Based on the research I did, this problem is turning into an epidemic, so GM may be forced to do a recall but I am not going to hold my breath and I cannot afford to wait on them to do something.

So.....who else has had this problem or was aware of it and what were your experiences? How hard is it to remove the t-case? Is it as simple as dropping both driveshafts? Let me know.

I have a couple of pictures that detail the problem, but I am not sure how to post them. I could send them to someone who could though.

Thanks in advance.

-Wardster

Head over to dieselplace.com Several members over there have had the same problem. I believe one of them is working on making something to fix it. Also a member used JB Weld and so far I belive it has held.

William

I visited there yesterday and have already spoken to Eric (the resident D-max/Alli genius) about a replacement this morning. He has one rebuilt t-case for $1K, so I am going to move forward with the purchase. He does not have the modified t-case tested yet, but he is hoping to have the R&D finished and available for purchase later. It just sucks that this problem goes back to 2001 and has not been fixed by GM yet (Eric said he replaced an '05 t-case last week). Apparently New Venture is the manufacturer of the t-case, so I am going to snoop around for info on them.

To be honest with you, I am suprised that I had never heard about this before.

-Wardster

My T-case also developed a hole from the inside out but it was big enough you could stick your fist in it. One of the shift forks broke off and tried going around where there wasn't room for it between the case and chain. Sounds like it doesn't matter much how big the hole is, the repair bill is the same size. Good luck with yours.

Did it look similar to this? Mine did this a little over a year ago and was about the diameter of a piece of pencil lead. I thought maybe there was an air pocket in the casting, and it finally just popped. I put some JB weld on there and it has been working fine. No leaks or unusual noises.

gallery_753_27_125982.jpg

gallery_753_27_145973.jpg

Edited by MountaineerTom

That is exactly where it is. I have never used JB Weld, so help me out with the specific type (if any) to use. The reason I ask is the guy with the rebuilt t-case has not called me back yet, so I may try the band-aid for awhile before spending a grand. Especially considering the fact that you have not had any issue with it after a year.

On another note, I see you are from Summersville, WV. I am currently managing the construction of the new bridge across Summersville Lake (Rt 39) right now. I could send you a couple of pictures if I had your email.

-Wardster

Edited by Wardster

There are a couple different types of JB weld, but I just used the regular type. First I cleaned the area really well, scuffed it up with some sand papaer, mixed the JB weld as described on the package, and put it on. I tried to make sure I didn't squeeze a bunch into the hole so it didn't get a lot into the t-case, since I didn't know what was behind that hole. I don't have a pic of it after the JB weld, but I can take one tomorrow or this weekend. The spot where the hole was felt solid around it before the JB weld. I just checked the repair a couple weeks ago, and the JB weld still looks like the day I put it on.

After I did all that, I drained the fluid, refilled drove about 15-20 miles, drained again, then refilled. Both times I drined the fluid, I strained it through and an old white t-shirt to see if there were any unusual particles, and found nothing.

My mom and dad still live in Summersville, but I live in SC now. I seen the construction on the bridge when wer came home for Thanksgiving.

You can e-mail the pics to [email protected] :D

• Like 1

I just spoke to our general superintendent and he said this was pretty common on all of the trucks we have (first I heard about it). He said the same thing about the JB Weld, but he said that he also used a sheet metal screw with a rubber washer to accomplish the same thing. I will start with the screw and use the JB weld if the screw does not work.

When you drained your fluid the first time, was there alot of fluid in the t-case?

-Wardster

I filled the hole with JB Weld when I got home last night after prepping the area like you described. If felt like it set up really well when I checked it this morning, so I will give it a test run tonight. I will pick up four quarts of Auto-Trak II from the dealership, so I can change it a couple more times to make sure its clean.

I am hopeful that this will solve the problem.

-Wardster

• 2 weeks later...
  According to my dealership, the case holds two quarts of Auto-Trak II that I purchased and I had in hand. 

If you have a 2500HD, which I believe I saw in your signature, Auto-Trak II fluid is not what is recommended. ATII is for the LD trucks with Auto-Track transfercases.

• 1 year later...

I had the same experience (hole in transfer case) patched it four times with JB Weld, !st patch lasted 6 months, Second patch leaked right away(less than one hundred miles), third patch leaked after 30 miles fourth patch( four layers of reinforsed JB Weld, held for 1000 miles now hole is so big I will not patch again. On Monday I ordered a reman transfer case from GM Cost $1500+ $300.00 core deposit+ sales tax, was told 4 or 5 day delivery, checked on fourth day was told case had shipped on tuesday and would arrive Friday or Saturday, Checked again on monday was told that case had not shipped but would arrive guaranteed Wednesday by 4:00 P.M. checked on Wednesday no case, was told it would be in by 10:00 A.M. Thursday guaranteed . Checked again on thursday at 10:00 A.M. no case was told it was delivered to wrong dealer ( by now you could say I was a bit upset, No mad as hell). I went to dealership asked to see parts manager we talked and revied the order and he said that he would have the case here before 10:00A.M. Friday and he would sell it to me at his cost plus freight $1079.00, Now it is a wait and see game. If I ever buy a new vehicle again you can bet it won't be a GM product and thats all that I have owned for the last 45 years. Oh yes he knew about the T case problem on 2500and 3500 HD trucks.