Hole in my Transfer Case

If this problem has been going on for this long on so many different models when will Chevy finally recall

Can someone finally answer the question: Has this problem been fixed on the new 2011 trucks or not?

GM will never recall vehicles over this, because this is not a safety issue. They must issue a recall only if safety of passengers is somehow compromised. Your transfer case or your wallet health do not count.

Edited by pm26

Hi all! I just joined the hole in Transfer Case club. 2003 Z-71 1500 ext cab with 82k miles. Great thread. I appreciate all the info.

I'm going to do a temporary patch with JB Weld and probably go with MA's upgrade kit. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the housing. I'll need to look / shop around a bit.

Thanks!

Phil

BTW, lol! Hell of a first post! I've been lurking on here for so long, I didn't realize I've never posted before.

022500HD: Look back at the earlier posts. The answers to your questions are there. GL!

Edited by PS4570

• 1 month later...

I'm now in the bad transfer case club! GMC 1500 HD crewcab transfer case no fluid. Coming back from deer hunting last night pulled onto my street when the truck started grinding and jerking. Stopped looked it over could find anything drove the last 1/4 mile and pulled into the drive way. Went out this morning to investigate and found the problem was my transfer case. Checked it for fluid and it was empty? Pulled my transfer case this afternoon to find two large holes... Miles 124K just glad I made it home!

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys for all the info.

2005 2500HD Duramax 163,000 miles.

My story begins while pulling an 8000lb boat up an 8 percent grade my transmission said it was done. Needed complete rebuild $3000.00. While in the shop mechanic recommended checking the case and putting in the upgrade. luckily he caught it in time. I am thankful for mechanics who are on top of their game and who know about and catch these things before they cost more $$$.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
If this problem has been going on for this long on so many different models when will Chevy finally recall

Can someone finally answer the question: Has this problem been fixed on the new 2011 trucks or not?

GM will never recall vehicles over this, because this is not a safety issue. They must issue a recall only if safety of passengers is somehow compromised. Your transfer case or your wallet health do not count.

I don't know the exact year (about 2008) GM changed to a completely different transfer case. One of the problems in the "older" ones was that the case is made of magnesium which is very soft. I believe the newer ones are aluminum, and probably have a different pump design. There are now aluminum replacements for the rear half of the old transfer cases which would probably hold up for a long time. Otherwise, there are upgrade kits available for <$100 which make the tabs on the TC pump very wide so the don't make pinholes (I have one sitting on my desk . . . now I just need to do it one of these days).

Of course, that doesn't guarantee that some new problem shows up on the new ones ! ! !

Edited by jake111

• 1 year later...

Hi. Im new to the junk transfer case issues. Ive read through most of the posts in this thread. My wife was driving the truck and pulled over due to loud noise under it. I went out to look at it and the transfer case is all wet. Moved it 20 feet or so in forward and reverse and it was very loud clanking and clunky ride. Coasting in neutral was same issue. Im guessing the Tcase is shot.

New baby in the house so funds are zero. Can the Tcase be gutted and just replace the main shaft and bearings(if needed) so the truck will work in 2wd only? Or is there a way to mod or bypass the Tcase?

Thanks for the help.

I know about funds disappearing with new babies.

Do you happen to be in the Nashville, TN area? Me and a buddy did his in my garage. If you'll buy the t-case, we'll do it for you.

Larry

• Like 1

Are the BorgWarner transfer cases subject to the problem as well? Concerned about my wife's 2005 Yukon Denali. I looked in glove box and it has the RPO NR3 for the BorgWarner transfer case. Thanks.

Think I answered my own question. Found on another website that the BorgWarner transfer cases don't have this issue. Correct me if this is wrong.

Edited by SouthCo

I know about funds disappearing with new babies.

Do you happen to be in the Nashville, TN area? Me and a buddy did his in my garage. If you'll buy the t-case, we'll do it for you.

Larry

Very generous offer Larry! We are up in Iowa though. But thank you.

• 5 weeks later...

I know this thread is a few years old but hoped someone would still get this. I have an '04 Suburban 2500 that I discovered today has this same issue. A small hole in the rear top housing of the transfer case. I have an appointment to have it checked at my local garage but I wanted to ask does the mechanism inside that causes this issue hit the housing anytime the burb is running or only when in 4x4?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...