other make forums

I just read a bunch of posts on Ford and Dodge forums and as could be expected, they all have a bunch of negative things to say about other trucks, including GM trucks. I found it amusing that Ford guys are actually defending the 6.0 PowerStroke despite all the problems Ford has had with it.

No one wants to admit the fact that they may wasted their money on something, so they do everything they can to make their vehicle look superior to the others. Truth is, all the trucks have problems, I don't think one brand is any worse then the other right now. I'd have to say its all equal with all piddly stuff going on.

In my mind it seems that the ppl who work on there own stuff which alot of us here do know that every truck has its problems and that some brands have strong points and some low.

plus honestly theres alot of ppl here who are not gonna waist there time with a MY TRUCKS BETTER THAN THERE TRUCK thing

like asepgrad98 said (i have found this site to the have the highest maturity level of all the car forums)

:seeya:

Yea...definatly. I don't think any of the trucks really have anything much over anyone. My neighbor has an 05 Powerstroke with COUNTLESS problems, including an exploading turbocharger :seeya:

And our friend Lisa has been to hell with her GM truck. Until I have a really good reason to..I'm a GM guy, even if I end up with a car next :chevy:

The arguments that I always find interesting are the "I wouldn't have a Toyota / Nissan / Hundai / etc. They aren't North American. I'll always buy North American and nothing less!"

Somewhere I read that one of the Japanese / Oriental companies are exporting their vehicles to their homeland, from an American plant they built. And likewise, my good ol Chevy is probably at least 50% full of imported parts produced from lawd-knows-where.

These make-specific forums are one of the greatest things about the Internet.

Ten or Fifteen years ago, you were pretty much on your own when it came to keeping your vehicle on the road - or you had to go to a dealer.

Now we have people with all sorts of varying expertise getting together, sharing information, communicating what works and what doesn't, what problems are common, what the fixes are, etc.

We can now go to the dealer, if necessary, armed with more info then they often have, or take it to a local mechanic, or fix it ourselves.

Plus, the online parts dealers, like PartsZone and GMPartsDirect have made me change my buying habits from nearly 90% aftermarket to probably 75% GM.

That said, the first manufacturer that recognizes the power that customer forums like ours have and exploits it is going to have a truly competitive edge, and probably will manage to build some lasting customer loyalty.

I'd like that company to be GM, but I'm not holding my breath. Heck, for what GM probably spends on a couple of questionably-effective ads in some magazine or on TV, they could probably host a huge forum for all their products and get some internal people to monitor them, tying into their customer service, dealer and parts networks. It could be a formidable force for improving quality, ensuring customer satisfaction, and marketing parts, accessories, and new vehicles.

That's what I'd do if I was a power to be... In this day in age it could not be easier for a company to find out what it's current customers, past customers, and possible future customers want. So why not get the information, and build what the majority of those people want. For the most part I think GM caters to the masses on the trucks, the onl thing that is sub standard is the quality, which is a financial issue more than a willing to do so one. If GM could use a higher quality part while maintaing financial responsibility don't you think they would do it? Until their healthcare and pension debts are reduced higher quality parts are only a dream.

Bottom line they can't afford anything better, despite what they sell them for.

That said, the first manufacturer that recognizes the power that customer forums like ours have and exploits it is going to have a truly competitive edge, and probably will manage to build some lasting customer loyalty.

I'd like that company to be GM, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well, for what it's worth, some folks in GM have been reading web boards for feedback. I'm a member over at SSRFanatic.com. We have members there that were involved in the original design, marketing, and manufacturing of the SSR. Given that it was a niche vehicle in a niche market at very low production volumes, feedback from the customer/end-user was critical in discovering issues that needed resolution. They did succeed in fixing several issues by the start of the '05 model year (only 11000 units produced at that time - just a months worth of production on a mass-consumer vehicle). However some are still outstanding and at this time, doubtful they'll put the efforts into a final resolution.

I'm hoping that the trend continues and that more and more people in the design/manufacturing teams are at least passively observing the action on these web boards. I think we were lucky over on SSRFanatic as the GM employees are just as passionate about the vehicle as we are, and via a few indirect contacts, they were made aware of us.

I think GM has a pretty good pickup.

Are they perfect? hell no. But you see a ton of old chevy trucks still running. Fords have all rusted out and dodges are no where to be seen?

I see lots of 80's chevys... a few rusted 80's fords and 0 dodges. Hell i remember dodge couldnt get a truck to idle. Remember the "little red pickup truck"? heh pos...

Toyota's are a bit higher quality. But with GM you get options, tons of models and options to choose from.

And when you talk about Toyota's, Honda's and nissans made in the states... Well yes its a global economy and it appears we lost that war when we are the servants to the masters(and sending hard earned US dollars to japan)... Our trade deficit just grows and grows.

Sure you get a job for the meantime but guess what happens when those companies slow down? Unions and stupid management have ruined the us car makers. When your avg ford worker makes 120k with benefits(taking home around 80k, something has to crack) and btw its just going to get worse, there will be more layoffs and more plant closings by both US truck makers.

Dodge? Heh thats pretty much a german truck now so it doesnt count :seeya:

I don't think anyone here has any ill feelings twords the old Chevys, its the new ones we are having issues with!!! New ones meaning 99+ And the problems are the ones that are very common such as fuel guage issues, knocking, steering shaft clunking, slip yoke clunking, G-80 Rear Diff failures, ect. Some further thoughts on the 80s.. Chevys all the way, they were the best. Yes Ford claimed to be the best selling truck for 25 years, but do you see very many of them out on the road compared to the Chevys? no way! As for the Dodge trucks.. well yeah they screwed themselves, it wasn't until they started offering the 2500 and 3500 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel that their trucks got some attention. About the only two products that kept Chrysler Corp going were the Jeep line, when they purchased it in 1988, as well as the Minivans.

The quality of Dodge trucks about 15 years ago was absolutely appalling. In 1991 I saw an add for a brand new regular cab Dodge truck with a 318 engine, 5 speed manual, long bed, power windows, and A/C for something like $ 11K I went to check it out and I test drove the new truck that they advertised. During the test drive, the brakes went out on the truck just as I returned to the dealership! I was fortunately almost stopped so nothing happened. There were visible dimples all over the truck, straight from the factory because the sheet metal was so poorly made. In fact the truck looked so cheaply made that I walked away from it, good price or not. Chevy trucks of the same era were incomparably better made.

And you are right - I see very few older Dodge trucks on the road today, and most of them are Cummins diesel types.

Archived