Transmission clunk sounds during acceleration

OK, I've read through the threads pertaining to this subject matter, but many relates to stop/start situation. My issue is when I'm turning left, and after making the turn, I accelerate, only to hear a 'clunk' sound coming from underneath the floor. So far, I've isolated the sound to be around the transfer case and transmission. I don't think it's coming from the front suspension at all. It's as if I'm low on tranny fluid, which it's not. Any ideas?

Thanks

Stephen

'05 Sierra CCSB

OK, I've read through the threads pertaining to this subject matter, but many relates to stop/start situation.  My issue is when I'm turning left, and after making the turn, I accelerate, only to hear a 'clunk' sound coming from underneath the floor.  So far, I've isolated the sound to be around the transfer case and transmission. I don't think it's coming from the front suspension at all.  It's as if I'm low on tranny fluid, which it's not.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Stephen

'05 Sierra CCSB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pop/Clunk/Click Noise on Right or Left Turns - keywords body floor front mount pan steer suspension #PIT3118K - (Feb 24, 2006)

Pop/Clunk/Click Noise on Right or Left Turns

2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models

2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche

1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado

2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe

1999-2006 GMC Sierra

2000-2006 GMC Yukon Models

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Owners may comment on a pop, clunk or thump type noise when turning left or right. This noise may be heard and/or felt at either the drivers or passenger floor pan area.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Note: Body mounts are number as below and depending on the body configuration the number of mounts will vary. Example, a Suburban will use all 12 mounts listed below and a Regular Cab Truck will only use the first 6 listed below.

At Rad Support in front of vehicle are the "Front End Sheet Metal (FESM) Body Mounts" Left Hand & Right Hand.

At the A-Pillar of the body are the "#1 Body Mounts" Left Hand & Right Hand.

At the B-Pillar of the body are the "#2 Body Mounts" Left Hand & Right Hand.

At the C-Pillar of the body are the "#3 Body Mounts" Left Hand & Right Hand.

At the Quarter Panel wheel opening are the "#4 Body Mounts" Left Hand & Right Hand.

At the tailgate in the rear are the "#5 Body Mounts" Left Hand & Right Hand.

This noise may be caused by the #1 body mount. To correct this concern install 4 of the following insulators:

Install two insulators, P/N 15053229 on the bottom of each #1 body mount between the body mount and frame. Before these insulators can be installed, they need to be trimmed to fit. The inner diameter will need to be cut to 2 inches (52 mm) and the outer diameter to 3 1/8 inches (80 mm).

Tighten the body mount bolts to 85 N·m (63 lb ft).

Test drive the vehicle to verify the repair.

Important: While the #1 body mounts are removed check the underbody area that interfaces with the top of the body mount for excess build-up of E-Coat Primer or other foreign material. If the surface is not smooth use a 90 degree die grinder, or equivalent to remove the excessive build-up. Apply an anti-corrosion protection to the bare surface as necessary to prevent rusting and re-assemble.

Thanks bobcat5544 - that solution was too exact to my symptoms. I'll print this off and take it to my service advisor!

Stephen

Archived