Switching back and forth between oil brands

I want to know your thoughts on switching back and forth between oil brands. The only reason I ask is because I started using Mobil 1 clean 5000 and today I took the truck in for rotate and balance tires. I asked for lube only, should have said no oil change. But they changed my oil too. They just used their in house oil I guess. Does everybody think this is ok?

I want to know your thoughts on switching back and forth between oil brands. The only reason I ask is because I started using Mobil 1 clean 5000 and today I took the truck in for rotate and balance tires. I asked for lube only, should have said no oil change. But they changed my oil too. They just used their in house oil I guess. Does everybody think this is ok?

No sweat.

Ken

I'd change it back to M-1 5k as soon as possible. In fact, I'd ask the shop who changed your oil (without your asking) to take half the hit on this. Or you provide the M-1 and they do the labor and install a new filter for free.

Mobil includes esters in the additive package in M1 to provide roughly the same the seal-swelling behavior as dino oils provide. But it's not an exact match, and in my opinion if the seals can swell or shrink due to oil additives, then I'd rather not risk creating an oddball situation by having dino oil (without esters) temporarily working its way into the rubber of the seals.

Thanks for your replies, I will just let the oil go for 3000 miles then change back to the mobil 1 5000. I usually change my oil myself, just this time the shop did it for me, by mistake.

mobil 1 5000

now is it mobil 1? or is it mobil 5000?

cant be both

Gentlemen,

I managed a fleet of diesel and gasburner trucks. Used dino oils and 6000 mile oil changes in phoenix az, delivery service. We rebuilt our engines ourselves. Damage requiring engine work was ALWAYS related to overheat, lost lower rad hose. Disassembled engines at 200k often had factory hone marks in place on all cylinders. FACTORY 45 degree HONE MARKS. Modern oils either dino or syn are AWESOME. We used 350 small blocks and the odd ford or two. Even they showed near zero wear.

I would use syn oils where manufacturer requires it, such as differentials.

Ken

Archived