'06 Sierra Denali Gooseneck

I'm a first-timer, so be gentle with me!

Does anyone know if there is a gooseneck trailer hitch available for my '06 Sierra Denali pickup?

I want an under-bed mount with a removeable ball.

Great truck! Super comfortable with excellent torque and driveability; it's gonna make a great tow rig.

Thanks!

Rick

Welcome to the forum. Does the truck already have a hitch receiver, if so, any class V set up will work, if not,you wouldnt have any trouble finding a set up to bolt up, as you are on the same chassis (pretty much, frame is the same) as all chevy/gmc trucks and SUV's since 99. Hope this helps.

Tony

Welcome to the Forum.

Here is a good website for Towing Set-ups and Help to find the correct equipment RV Forum

Thanks for the lead, I'll check it out.

I have talked to several local hitch dealers, and the manufacturers they represent are telling them that they are not offering a hitch for my truck yet. So apparently there is some difference in the frame or bed that keeps existing gooseneck hardware from working. Either that or they simply have not confirmed that it will work yet.

And Tony, yeah, the truck does have the standard Class III reciever hitch and is pre-wired, so I'm not expecting any surprises there. I think it's just a matter of finding a gooseneck hitch setup that's known to fit.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Rick

Unless you have a crew cab with the short box (51/2 ft) there are plenty of fifth wheel/goose neck hitchs for your truck. With that said, I don't think your truck will handle much weight in the box before being over the GVWR.

Unless you have a crew cab with the short box (51/2 ft) there are plenty of fifth wheel/goose neck hitchs for your truck. With that said, I don't think your truck will handle much weight in the box before being over the GVWR.

You bring up an interesting question: I noticed that the crew cab short box is not rated for fifthwheel towing, why?? Is it because of the short box? Or is it a GVWR issue? Trying to learn, MMM.

The SD does have the crew cab, but I'm not sure what the bed length is; where do I measure? Is it an inside dimension? I expect it is the 5.5' box.

I've got a gooseneck hitch on my '00 Silverado stepside, and it tows my RV well, although it is right at GCVW with empty tanks and being reasonably careful how I load it. But the Chevy is now kept on a ranch in Wyoming, so the SD is going to have to pick up the RV load.

There are auto sliding fifth wheel hitches for the 51/2 ft box. I think your SOL if you want to tow a goose neck. I would think you would be close to GCVWR and GVWR on the truck with the smallest/lightest 5er. When we got our new fifth wheel last summer, I saw a guy picking up a small fifth wheel with a 1/2 to CC Chevy. It sat real low with the trailer attached. The 1/2 ton GM Crew Cabs are built on the Ext cab frames to keep the weight of the truck from exceeding the GVWR with 5 people in the cab. thats the reason for the short box. If your truck has the 6l, then you probably have a 91/2 inch semi floater rear end which has a higher weight rating.

Would a Denali truck have the 9.5 inch ring gear axle or the standard 8.5 that they use in the 1500 series trucks? I would not use a 1500 series truck for towing gooseneck trailers, unless they were really small and light, of course. Even a 2500 series truck can be easily damaged by overloading the rear axle. Trucks with the 11.5 inch axles and dual rear wheels are the correct trucks for gooseneck trailers or fifth wheels.

Archived