ReGearing w/lift

It's not the height of the lift that requires re-gearing, it is only the size of tire. (6" lift with factory tires doesn't need gears it'll just look dorky, so you put bigger tires on it to make it look right, at that point you need gears.) What size tire/what size gear, I'm not sure. First decide what size tire and lift you want, that will dictate what gears you need.

I am sure people have had to make this descision in the past...I have a 2003 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 3.73's

I am either going to get a 3" lift with like 31" tires...From my understanding i will not need to regear..please correct me if i am incorrect

OR a 6" lift with 33-35" tires...at this point or bigger i have heard you will need to regear...now here is the bigger question...If i re-gear what is the cost? Do i need to replace other parts if i regear?

You can do the caslulations yourself and then decide. Find out the difference between the stock tires and your new tires, then calculate what your new effective rear axle ratio will be compared to stock. Then you can decide if the difference is enough to justify changing gears or living with it.

DEWFPO

IN theory, if you go with 285's or 33" tires, you should have 4:10 gears, if you go with 315's or 35" tires, you should have 4:56 gears.

While I have not done it, I have been told it is about a grand per axle to re-gear.

From what I have looked at online, a 3" suspension lift is not worth the extra cash, go with a 6". You could probly run 285's or 33" tall tires stock, as I do and be just fine. If you go with a 6" lift and 35" tires, performance and milage will be hurt a lot and at least 4:10's, most likely 4:56 gears are in order.

Best of luck with your choice. :D

IN theory, if you go with 285's or 33" tires, you should have 4:10 gears, if you go with 315's or 35" tires, you should have 4:56 gears.

While I have not done it, I have been told it is about a grand per axle to re-gear.

From what I have looked at online, a 3" suspension lift is not worth the extra cash, go with a 6". You could probly run 285's or 33" tall tires stock, as I do and be just fine. If you go with a 6" lift and 35" tires, performance and milage will be hurt a lot and at least 4:10's, most likely 4:56 gears are in order.

Best of luck with your choice. :D

I was leaning towards the 6" at first but then i realized that i am going to want 35" tires with that lift...and i only have the 3.73 gears...so i would have to re-gear and at about $1000 an axle NO WAY/.....so then i looked into the 3" which looks awesome with 31-33" tires...and no re-gearing would be necsicary for me...AND you can go directly back to stock if you ever want to.

Successive gear ratios are about 10% apart.,i.e. 4.10 gears are 10% lower than 3.73 gears, etc. Measure the circumference of the original mounted and properly inflated tires and then of the new tires you plan to install. Your new gearing requirement will be directly proportional to the percentage difference in circumference. For example, if the new wheels/tires have 10% greater cirumference and you have 3.73 gears, you need to go to 4.10 gears to maintain the same torque at the rear wheels. Similarly, if you went to tires that are 10% less in circumference, you could go to 3.42 gears to get the same torque. Installing smaller tires and retaining the same gears has the net effect of lower gearing, in exact proportion to the circumference difference.

On my old Nissan truck, I actually replaced the 31X10.5-R15 tires with P235-75-R15 tires. The rear end gears were about 4.3 to 1 ratio. By using smaller tires I had now effectively 4.76:1 gears. The truck climbed hills a lot better and towed a lot better. I did this because the engine power was in short supply. But with this simple mod the truck was one torquey little monster in 1 st gear (5 speed manual) and it would spin tires very easily in first.

Archived