04 to 06 allison Questio

2 weeks ago I was deciding between a 1500 and 2500.I will be getting a 2500 for sure now and I have a question about the allison.Truck #1 is an 04 with the 8.1 and 5 speed allison 3.73 rear #2 is an 06 with the 8.1 and 6 speed allison and a 4.10 rear.It looks like there is allitle better mpg with the 06 but when using the tow/haul mode will there be any differance between the 2 trucks.The 04 will be around $4500 cheaper but if the 06 will suit me better then I will choose it.

2 weeks ago I was deciding between a 1500 and 2500.I will be getting a 2500 for sure now and I have a question about the allison.Truck #1 is an 04  with the 8.1 and 5 speed allison 3.73 rear #2 is an 06 with the 8.1 and 6 speed allison and a 4.10 rear.It looks like there is allitle better mpg with the 06 but when using the tow/haul mode will there be any differance between the 2 trucks.The 04 will be around $4500 cheaper but if the 06 will suit me better then I will choose it.

Hmm. that lower gear ratio just might offset any fuel economy gains here with the extra transmission gear. You know, I find this post somewhat funny. Fuel economy concerns with the 8.1 big block? :D If you get into double digits, you are doing great.

I sure i would be happy with both.A dealer is holding the 04 for me until next week.I noticed the 6 speed could be capable af allitle better mileage on the freeway.My question was using the towl haul if there would be much differance.And NO my decision isn't being based of mpg or I wouldn't be looking at a 2500.The price is 3600 higher on the 06 and I'm trying to justify it

In my opinion, if the difference is so small and the '06 is a new truck, I would rather buy it. The new 6 speed transmission is more optimal for towing as it has more gears, and the resale value on the '06 truck will probably be $ 3500 higher for quite a few years. the new Allison has other improvements besides addition of another gear. I think it automatically downshifts on steep downgrades to provide engine braking, and a few other things.

the only real difference between the 5 and 6 speed allison is. 1 - you get a second overdrive with 6 speed to reduce rpms more on highway. 2 - 6 speed also has the feature where you can start out in second gear if you want like the 4L80E does. 6 speed also has the "tap shift"

Allison has always had the downshift braking. The response in tow haul will be the same on both versions.

Archived