Towing vibration

On my truck (details below), the last time I towed there was a bad vibration at highway speeds that gets better as the truck warms up. I noticed it starting a few times prior to this but not as bad. Unloaded the truck is smooth as glass. I'm leading to an out of balance tire or hoping at least. What else could it be? I would think if it were the drive shaft it would do it loaded or not, and a tire out of balance would do it all the time too. Any other ideas?

On my truck (details below), the last time I towed there was a bad vibration at highway speeds that gets better as the truck warms up. I noticed it starting a few times prior to this but not as bad. Unloaded the truck is smooth as glass. I'm leading to an out of balance tire or hoping at least. What else could it be? I would think if it were the drive shaft it would do it loaded or not, and a tire out of balance would do it all the time too. Any other ideas?

When the trailer wheels are badly out of balance, the vibration is transmitted into the tow vehicle. Some time ago I rented a U Haul trailer and the tires were so out of balance on the trailer that I could not go over 50 without my truck shaking badly(this was a Nissan pickup at that time). The truck had no vibration when riding empty. When I looked closely at the traielr, some idiot placed six 3 OZ lead weights next to each other on one wheel. For a total of 18 ounces and probably all in the wrong location! The weights were going 1/2 way around the whole wheel.

There are some cheap trailer tires out there that need a lot of lead to balance, but this was absolutely unacceptable.

Yeah my sled trailer sends a pretty significant vibration into my truck for the first several miles after taking off with it. Seems like trailer tires take a "set" when sitting for a while, especially when cold. Seems once they roll a bit and warm up it goes away and gets as smooth as glass.

Yeah my sled trailer sends a pretty significant vibration into my truck for the first several miles after taking off with it.  Seems like trailer tires take a "set" when sitting for a while, especially when cold.  Seems once they roll a bit and warm up it goes away and gets as smooth as glass.

That's probably exactly the problem. I'm an aviation guy and I know that if a heavy jet is going to sit for more than a day or so it has to be moved or have the wheels 'turned' so the tires don't develop a flat spot. Usually not a problem, though, because the airlines keep the planes hopping most of the time. But, like nhproxr said, probably just a little flat spot that works itself out after a few miles and some warming.

Thanks guys, that makes a lot more sense, plus I'm glad I don't have to worry about the truck, although I'll probably get the trailer tires balanced to keep the ponies happy...

Is it a little hick souding if the thought crossed my mind to have some one pull ME in the trailer to see if that was causing it? :cheers:

Generally I would agree that towing only vibrations are due to a trailer problem not the truck. If the truck does not vibe on its own it should not vibe with a trailer.

So that leaves the trailer as the cause. It can be anything from trailer suspensions to tires balanced. Trailer that sit a lot can get mositure inside the tire that in the winter can freeze and you are slinging a piece of ice inside the tire. This happens all the time on snowmobile trailers.

Process of elimination, so no need to ride in the trailer. Everyone gave you some great insight... I concur across the board. You might want to check out the wheels and tires on your trailer. What type of trailer is it and how often are you pulling it? Also - in response to the Uhaul trailers... I have only had BAD experiences with Uhauls. One small tow trailer had a major blowout, not to mention all the jimmy rigging we had to do to get the lights to work. Another time on a vehicle trailer the tire straps broke while driving. Avoid renting uhaul trailers ... if you have to use them - always drive slow because none are maintained accordingly!

Process of elimination, so no need to ride in the trailer. Everyone gave you some great insight... I concur across the board. You might want to check out the wheels and tires on your trailer. What type of trailer is it and how often are you pulling it? Also - in response to the Uhaul trailers... I have only had BAD experiences with Uhauls. One small tow trailer had a major blowout, not to mention all the jimmy rigging we had to do to get the lights to work. Another time on a vehicle trailer the tire straps broke while driving. Avoid renting uhaul trailers ... if you have to use them - always drive slow because none are maintained accordingly!

It's a horse trailer, fairly new and well maintained, but the tires are original and as far as I know never balanced. It had sat awhile prior to me towing it so this all sounds like the problem, and it did get better as I pulled it. It was probably a flat spot on the trailer tires. I want to balance them for the warm and fuzzy feeling, and no sense rattling the trailer apart.

I love this place... (Imagine a smiley of Scrat holding this site in place of his acorn.) :cheers:

Ever since I balanced the wheels on my boat trailer, there is virtually no vibration transmitted to my truck. My utility trailer , however, has still to-date unbalanced wheels, and I can feel some vibration at 60+MPH, especially with an empty trailer. Substantial trailer load tends to dampen out those vibrations.

About UHaul trailers: It is absolutely amazing that a company like U Haul cannot figure out a better way to provide easy to connect wiring harness on their trailers. Instead, they have individual wires dangling from the end of frayed harness, and typically it takes them 2 or 3 tries to connect the wires right. What is wrong with having a flat 4 pin connector on their small trailers, and simply use a 7 to 4 pin adaptor if you need it. Every small trailer uses a simple four pin flat plug and it happens to work. If different tow vehicles have different plugs - well, that is what adaptors are for.

my sled trailer hops around, and jumps over bumps.... until the tires warm up. you can literally see the wheels lifting off the ground while looking in my side view mirror.

this is an enclosed 4000lb sled trailer !!

my sled trailer hops around, and jumps over bumps.... until the tires warm up.   you can literally see the wheels lifting off the ground while looking in my side view mirror.

this is an enclosed 4000lb sled trailer !!

You just reminded me: most small trailer tires are inflated to 50 psi, which is pretty high pressure, and no doubt contributes to wheel bounce over bumps. Plus, suspension is very stiff considering light empty trailer weight.

Uhaul! Great well maintained equipment at low low prices! lol. I had an axle come apart on me on the thruway once. a lound pop and the parts went flyin'. never mind the wiring (lucky to get one brake light to work and a turn signal on the wrong side) and the vibbbbrrraaaattttiiioooonnnn!

Interesting on the ice inside of trailer tires. Is this just when they are towed in the winter, the heat building up causes condensation later as they cool? Or from sitting in the winter outside?

Archived