Collant smell 97 K1500 w/ mighty 5.7

Alright guys,

I have a pretty stong coolant smell from my 5.7 engine on my 1997 K1500. From the "search" function I've narrowed it down--I think.

There is no apparant coolant loss (green fluid-so it must have been replaced at some point) and the oil looks fine. The only visible leak I can see is coming from the right side of the engine, along the oil pan lip, right where the dipstick heads into the oil pan just above the starter. The freeze plug aft of that is totally dry. The sensor ahead of that is the Knock sensor? It has wet threads and most of the leak is behind that, I can't tell if it's leaking or is just wet from whatever leak there is. I'm figuring it may be leaking and the coolant aft of that is blowback.

I checked the bell housing drain, left side of the engine, heater hoses, water pump, and floor by the heater core etc. and they are all okay. I tried to look on the aft side of the engine block by the distributor and as far as I can see, it's okay. The engine has 158K miles on it, and I just bought it about 150 miles ago, so I don't know if the intake gasket has ever been replaced, but as I said...it too looks okay.

Can a leak apparantly that small generate that much smell? It looks like there's not much room to get to that sensor either.

Additional info: When I bought the truck it had a SES light, and it was for an EGR valve stuck closed. I replaced the EGR valve, though am worried the block may have gotten too hot? Let's hope not.

Anybody care to chime in? Today I'm not a happy camper.

Coolant will seep down the front or rear of the engine slowly. It can cause a very strong smell even if there is not a big puddle. My guess is you need an intake gasket and always replace the nipple in the right front corner. I have seen water pumps start to leak after intake replacement because of the coolant change. I guess the old coolant had so much sediment in it. Hope this helps.

my brother in law and myself both have 98 silverados (not planned) 5.0 and we have both had the coolent smell. He has 160,000+ on his mine has 65,000. ( i got a work truck, his is daily driver) he decided to put stop leak in the radiator and has had no smell for about 20,000 miles. so we are going to see how his works out before I put it in mine.

Just thought I would pass it along.

Archived