Magnaflow Soundclips Only

Hey guys....Me and some other guys were hoping that those out there that have a magnaflow system installed in their truck would post pics/recordings of their exhaust. I have heard and seen lots of Flowmaster. I also have listened to the magnaflow site....I really want some personal clips of Magnaflows on a Silverado. Thanks!

Hey guys....Me and some other guys were hoping that those out there that have a magnaflow system installed in their truck would post pics/recordings of their exhaust.  I have heard and seen lots of Flowmaster.  I also have listened to the magnaflow site....I really want some personal clips of Magnaflows on a Silverado.  Thanks!

I second this request.... I also bump it =P

Hey guys....Me and some other guys were hoping that those out there that have a magnaflow system installed in their truck would post pics/recordings of their exhaust.  I have heard and seen lots of Flowmaster.  I also have listened to the magnaflow site....I really want some personal clips of Magnaflows on a Silverado.  Thanks!

I'll post pics and audio on Saturday!

I'll post pics and audio on Saturday!

Hehe, sorry forgot to tell him you told us that in the other post. Was hoping other people would do so as well :confused:

OK, I just got done installing my Magnaflow Exhaust. I went with Magnaflow Part# 15792. This is a Cat-back kit with dual exit under the rear bumper. This kit fits NBS EC/SB pickups. My truck is a 2003 Sierra Z71 with 5.3L.

The first step was to remove the existing exhaust (easier than it sounds apparently). In my case I already had a Flowmaster Cat-back that I was replacing because of rust issues. A sawz-all made easy work of most of the removal, but I ran into a serious snag when I began unbolting the intermediate pipe from the Y-pipe. Both bolts were frozen solid. I soaked them with PB Blaster about 1 hour before hand but they still wern't budging. SO I got a propane torch and heated the bolts for a bit and then tried to take them off. Both studs snapped in half. "Sigh", I said. I knew it would be a bi**h getting those out using the tools I have (very backyard mechanic here). I hammered and heated and pounded. No go. So I went in town and got a couple drill bits and started drilling out the studs. This mostly worked. I got one out using this method. After drilling through I was able to knock the first one out with the hammer. The second one was hard to get my drill to so I had a harder time with that. I drilled through with a small bit and then heated from the back side (didn't try this before). After awhile with the torch on it it turned bright red. I grabbed the hammer and a 6" 1/4" extention and it popped right out. Apparently the secret is getting them red-hot. With the studs out I knew there was no way in hell I was going to put those back in. I ran to NAPA and got a couple 10mm 1.5" long bolts, nuts and lock washers for reassembly.

Now with the old kit off I could start installing the Magnaflow kit. The intermediate pipe and muffler bolted right up no problem with the new hardware I purchased. I went against what the instructions said and tighted down the Y-pipe bolts and I made the muffler square and tighted that down to the pipe as well. This made it easier to get the exit pipes straight.

This is where I ran into my next semi-significant issue. In the Magnaflow instructions it clearly says, "MAGNAFLOW Performance dual exit truck systems are designed to fit stock-height vehicles with OEM hitches and spare wheel and tire combos." Well I'm pretty sure my truck has the OEM hitch since it has the towing package but this hitch apparently does not 100% work with this kit. It isn't a *huge* issue but here's the deal. On page 2 of the instruction sheet (http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/pdfs/15792.pdf) it shows a picture of the hanger going through the "existing hole in the frame". Well on a truck with the OEM hitch these holes are used to hold on the hitch. There is a large hole in about the right area that could be use, but you'll need to rig something up on your own. I have a picture below showing what this looks like on a hitched truck, see the instructions for pics of a non-hitched truck. I lucked out and was able to use the hangers that came with my Flowmaster exhaust that I removed.

That's pretty much it for the install. I tweaked and aligned for awhile to get the tips right but it came out great I think.

Now on to what everyone really cares about, pics and sound.

Sound: I have four different clips.

1: Reving in the drive way outside and behind the truck.

http://www.j45p3r.net/truck/exhaust/rev.mp3

2: 20-70MPH up a long (1/4 mile-ish), farily steep grade and then cruising at about 60-65MPH and then at the very end you hear taking it up to about 75 right as it cuts off.

http://www.j45p3r.net/truck/exhaust/cruise.mp3

3: 0-65 Windows Up

http://www.j45p3r.net/truck/exhaust/0-65.mp3

4: 0-65 Windows Down

http://www.j45p3r.net/truck/exhaust/0-65windown.mp3

Pics:

1: Here is a good pick showing the straight through design of the Magnaflow Muffler

muffler.jpg

2: Here is the kit layed out on my deck.

layout.jpg

3: And from the other side.

layout2.jpg

4: A pic of the tips that come with the kit.

tip.jpg

5: And a pic of the back of the truck all installed (truck is veeery dirty because it's been raining all week. Tomorrow is wash day :confused:)

rearview.jpg

6: And as described about here is a pick of the under side showing no hole for the hanger. There is a very large hole there that could be used if you rig something up. Compare this to the pic on page 2 of the instructions.

nohole.jpg

That's it, let me know if you need anymore info!

That's it, let me know if you need anymore info!

Sounds good. How many bolts were there in mounting it to the cat?

Two

Thanks for the photos and sounds. I think you've made my choice for me. I just have a stock system so taking the current one off hopefully isnt going to be a problem. As for hanging it.....I'm not sure what I will do yet. I dont have extra parts laying around, but I imagine I can probably come up with something that will work. Did you weld your tips on?

Thanks for the photos and sounds. I think you've made my choice for me. I just have a stock system so taking the current one off hopefully isnt going to be a problem. As for hanging it.....I'm not sure what I will do yet. I dont have extra parts laying around, but I imagine I can probably come up with something that will work. Did you weld your tips on?

No. I saw in the directions it recommended welding the tips on, but I'm not sure why?

No. I saw in the directions it recommended welding the tips on, but I'm not sure why?

I just want to weld mine on so no one steals them. People like to steal that stuff around here.

I just want to weld mine on so no one steals them. People like to steal that stuff around here.

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. Theft isn't much of an issue in these parts.

Archived