dual exhaust: what say you?

Ive got a cat-back on my truck. Its got a Flowmaster 50 Series (single-in, dual-out) with dual 2 1/2" tailpipes and it sounds pretty good.

I dont think my truck is any faster than any other F-150 with a 5.4L, but it sound sounds good.

I appreciate the replies.  I guess what I meant was is a dual exhaust worth the money?  Will I get better gas mileage?

If you are doing it to improve gas mileage don't bother, if your doing it for a better exhaust note you will be happy.

I cant say on my truck (it had duals with no muffler when I got it), but when I went from no muffler to the Flowmaster I did gain 1 mpg.

I agree that if you want better MPG its not a worthwhile mod because you will be driving harder just to hear the exhaust more (I know I do), but it definetely will make the truck sound better.

I appreciate the replies.  I guess what I meant was is a dual exhaust worth the money?  Will I get better gas mileage?

If you are doing it to improve gas mileage don't bother, if your doing it for a better exhaust note you will be happy.

Yeah, I would be doing it to improve the sound.

Here's another question: Would I gain horsepower, but lose torque going with a dual exhaust? I've heard different stories on this.

If you just had straightpipes you might lose some lowend torque due to have less backpressue, but I think that as long as you have a muffler you will be OK.

Besides, if you just go with cat-back duals you are still going to have the single pipe where it goes from the exhaust manifolds to the single pipe before the Y, so that should give you plenty of backpressure.

Archived