Pulling a tree out of the ground

Hey guys,

I have a 10-11 ft evergreen that I want to yank out. The 5.3 should have enough snort to pop it out. I'll probably use 4LO in reverse and ease into the gas. Is this a safe way or is it better to pull with the hitch in 1st gear using 4LO??

Thanks

Get a tire (or rim, if that's all you can scrounge up) and stand it up next to the tree...Run your chain over the tire, and down to the base of the tree.

That way, when you pull forward, the chain pulls UP on the base of the tree instead of sideways. The tire works as a lever...So not only will it come out easier, it's much safer. If the chain breaks, it will shoot straight up and over the truck, vice through your backglass and at your head. It may scratch the paint, but it won't scratch your skull. :D

Oh, and like ^^ he said. Pull it forward, not reverse.

I guess you could call this a "duh" but if space permits, make sure you have more rope/chain than the tree is tall. it always sucks to drop a tree on the cab/bed. (seen it done too many times)

also, it may also help to dig a bit around the tree first, chop off the larger roots that spread horizontaly.

I guess you could call this a "duh" but if space permits, make sure you have more rope/chain than the tree is tall.  it always sucks to drop a tree on the cab/bed.  (seen it done too many times)

BAAAAAAHAHAHAAHHA! That's something I would do. :cheers:

also, it may also help to dig a bit around the tree first, chop off the larger roots that spread horizontaly.

:D Dynamite is better.

Hey guys,

I have a 10-11 ft evergreen that I want to yank out.  The 5.3 should have enough snort to pop it out.  I'll probably use 4LO in reverse and ease into the gas.  Is this a safe way or is it better to pull with the hitch in 1st gear using 4LO??

Thanks

It depends. If it is 10ft, use reverse, if it is 11ft, use 1st.

Use a Sawsall and a long pruning blade and cut around the base to cut all the roots you can then dig around and pull carefully not jerking so you dont have the towrope break and hit your truck. I do it all the time at my summer home that has Jackpines.

BEFORE YOU PULL: is there any chance that a pipe or wires might be entangled in the roots? If it is in someone's front yard, call DigSafe first (1-800-dig-safe) just to make sure. They will come and mark the utilities for free. A ten foot tree may be deep enough to have roots around wires or pipes.

Only if you have less than the tree's height of rope (15') once the truck is connected to the tree:

You may want to cut the bulk of the tree off, leaving 2-3' remaining and at least one large branch. Cut the branch off 6" away from the trunk--this branch will stop the chain from sliding over the top of the stump. Wrap the chain around the stump twice also to keep it from slipping off as the stump leans.

Use 4-low and Drive, and don't be a hero with the gas. It may not look as cool to ease a stump out, but driving your mother's car while the truck is in the body shop for a week is even less cool.

Let me tell you something about pulling out trees and tree stumps. After the last Florida major hurricane, I helped my neighbor to pull out several snapped scrub oak trees in his yard. These were not that tall - maybe 10-12 ft, but stout - maybe 8 inches in diameter. I had to try several times before I pulled the roots out. Yes several times! And you know why I say that? Because I used an Army 6x6 deuce and a half van truck which weighs about 16,000 lbs and has 10 wheels on it! (tandem duals in the back) . I had the thing in 6 wheel drive, low range and first gear, which is almost a granny gear. Still, I spun the wheels a little on his lawn before the roots came out.

Bottom line, dig around the roots first. Trees are deceptively strong, especially oaks. You can do some major damage to your 1/2 ton truck if you do something dumb. If I had this much trouble with a 16k lb 6X6 truck, imagine what would a 1/2 ton Chevy accomplish.

Make sure to use a chain, not a rope. My neighbor tried pulling a tree out with his 4Runner and a rope, the rope broke, hit his truck and shattered the back window. Better safe than sorry.

If that had been a chain it could have been much worse!

I second the chain thing. a BIG mf'in chain, this is not place you want to save a few bucks, no PEP Boys, no habor frieght. real chain with all the right hooks and hardware. No shiet, poeple get dead doing this, I've seen pictures of snapped tow lines and chains over on a 4x4 bbs and it ain't pretty. Yes its ok to do, just be mindful of the energy stored up in a tensoined chain.

I also remember(although not exactly) that you can use a second length of chain to "chain" the chain to the tree, like a tether

I second the chain thing.  a BIG mf'in chain, this is not place you want to save a few bucks,  no PEP Boys, no habor frieght. real chain with all the right hooks and hardware.  No shiet, poeple get dead doing this,  I've seen pictures of snapped tow lines and chains over on a 4x4 bbs and it ain't pretty.  Yes its ok to do, just be mindful of the energy stored up in a tensoined chain.

I used a 1/2 inch link heat treated towing chain for pulling out the tree stumps. The chain is rated for 9,000 lbs working load. 1/2 inch is too big for a pickup, and it is commonly not available. 3/8 link grade 70 towing or binding chain is OK for a pickup. It is rated afor about 5000 lbs working load.

Many years ago I saw a good size wire rope break when a large bulldozer tried to pull out a huge oak tree stump from the ground. The main roots were already cut, but that was not enough. The broken rope snapped back with such force that it dented a 3/4 inch thick steel plate on the back of the dozer.

Make sure to use a chain, not a rope. My neighbor tried pulling a tree out with his 4Runner and a rope, the rope broke, hit his truck and shattered the back window. Better safe than sorry.

If that had been a chain it could have been much worse!

If it had been a chain, it would not have happened. Ropes stretch, chains don't. If the chain breaks, which isn't likely, it won't go flying through the air like a rope.

Archived