Spare tire hoist?

I have a 2003 1500 Chev truck that has an issue with the spare tire cable hoist thing.

The cable is a bit loose so the tire hangs down a few inches, the rod to raise and lower it does 2 revolutions total and then clicks, both ways.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong, and any idea how I could get the tire off?

Sounds like the mechanism inside is busted, probalby the gearing that makes it easier to raise/lower it. If you REALLY want to get the tire off, I'm sure you could borrow a good pair of wire cutters and have someone help you hold the tire up against the truck while you cut the wire... :cheers:

The burban had the same problem when it was about 1 1/2 years old. The mechanisms are junk. Maybe when you get a new one you can douse it with PB Blaster or something to protect it for a little while, mne had to be towed because of a flat.

I have a 2003 1500 Chev truck that has an issue with the spare tire cable hoist thing.

The cable is a bit loose so the tire hangs down a few inches, the rod to raise and lower it does 2 revolutions total and then clicks, both ways.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong, and any idea how I could get the tire off?

when you go to lower it, after the clicks, will the tire come down? gm had some thet you raise until it clicks 2x when lowing it you will here 2x clicks and it will lower. the clicks are the locking mec. locling and unlocking....

if that fails, you will need to cut the cable, ....sorry

:cheers:

I spent about 4 hours doing everything including beating it ;)

It just turns twice and then clicks a few times (5 tops) and I stop for fear of really buggering it up.

I'va got my tool box in the back at all times for work, so if I HAVE to cut it I can.

I'm going from a long box to a short bed and am having a hard time adjusting, I like the tire out of the way for now.

I'll talk to the dealer I got it from and see what he will do before I cut it. Maybe he'll fix er up.

Archived