How many miles do you have on your 6.0 liter motor?

• 1 year later...

I've got about 95K on my '02 2500 HD CC. Still runs great.

For those of you with the cold start knock issues, I pretty much eliminated mine by switching to Mobile 1 and using the Mobile 1 filter at about 50K. Apparently there is some sort of valve in their filter that prevents it from draining when the engine is shut off. This has pretty much eliminated my knocking on cold starts.

just hit 90K on my 01 2500HD, no engine probs at all.

But I have the tick-tick-tick

My tire guy has an 01 6.0L too, and he told me when he switched to amsoil syn, his engine/piston noise went away. I'll have to ask him which oil filter he is using.

103000 on it now. Got at auction in Oct 08 with 99000 for $8000. 4x exsb ls for that, crazy! Tows 20kgvw fine and no knock at cold idle. Friend has 140+ with no issues on a 02 1500HD from construction co. Blackbear next month!!

Edited by TroyDairy

214,000 miles, all mine. No problems I can recall on the engine itself. I don't believe I've changed anything on the engine except sparkplugs and oil....oh!, and I did change the waterpump and thermostat this last summer, but not because it had failed. I replaced the waterpump because I didn't want a failure on the road and I thought I had gotten my due life out of it. My feeling is that the accesories (waterpump, idlers, tensioners, a/c compressor, alternator, etc) usually will go out before a core engine part. Since I was having such good luck with the engine as a whole, I figured I'd start replacing accessories on my terms. So far, I've replaced all the idlers and tensioners, a/c compressor, waterpump, thermostat, and I'm considering the alternator next. None of these have failed. But...I seem to be loosing water in the ol 99 lately. Probably the intake gasket leaking into the intake port.

I have 89k on my 2001 2500HD w/ 6.0. I was fortunate as I had the cold start knock and at 27,000 miles GM gave me the option of either replacing the block and pistons or they would extend my 3 yr / 36k standard warranty to 5yr / 100k. I chose the replacement. The truck has never had cold start knock since. I also have never had to replace any brake pads yet.

Other replacement / fixes:

At about 75,000 miles starting dropping a cylinder, I replaced all plugs and wires and has ran perfect since.

Last summer I replaced stock speakers with Alpine and replaced stereo with 7" dvd, stereo, etc. player.

Right side manifold bolts broke and had them replaced.

I also have had since new the nosiy windshield and am going to try the 3M 1/2" molding tape.

I am replacing the rear end u-joints as when I put the 3" lift in I didn't get the axle perfect and it was off. Had to have it put on a hoist to get rearend straightened but after the u-joints started clunking. Duh, lesson learned.

post-59522-1233965549_thumb.jpg

I need to update my post from way back on page one!! At 150,000 my motor took a dump. Blew head gaskets washed down crank and spun bearings, oh well. Got a 00 junk yard motor with 70,000 miles on it. And it does have the CSK. I can tell the difference between the two, I think that the 99 motor was stronger and I think that it got better mileage than the 00. :angel:

223,000 miles

Runs great. All original to my knowledge.

1999 2500hd 4x4

Has the cold knock and misses at idle but doesn't set off any codes.

Gonna buy a tunner here in a few days.

I put a very rough 100 miles a day on it.

My G80 is going out but the truck goes great.

It has the red antifreeze, think its gone bad, the whole cooling system is caked up with stuff, gonna try flushing it out and put in new stuff. hopefully i wont cause more problems by doing so.

I get about 10 mpg period. Doesn't matter how i drive. So i'm usually floored going everywhere.

I've never had a truck hold up so well. lol.

:angel: #1!

I had around 160k on my 2003 6.0l when I sold it...ran perfectly, no smoke, didn't burn a drop of oil, got about 13.5mpg avg, no knock, no maintenance except for all new exhaust manifold bolts (heads started popping off the bolts and exhaust leak started), and new plugs and plug wires around 140k. One of the best motors I've ever had.