Catalytic Converter Delete?? Is it Possible

hi, i was just wondering about the exhaust system i have on my truck. i have a 2002 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L and have already switched out the muffler on it with no problems what so ever, well now i am wanting to free up some more horses and also make my exhaust sound alot louder so im thinking about knocking off the catalytic converter's on it, here's what im wondering if i take the cat's off and then just weld in pieces of exhaust pipe in their place is this going to throw a check engine light on my truck or mess up any of the 02 sensor readings? if their is anyone out their that has done this mod or knows about it please just write back.

thanks again.

hi, i was just wondering about the exhaust system i have on my truck. i have a 2002 Cadillac Escalade 6.0L and have already switched out the muffler on it with no problems what so ever, well now i am wanting to free up some more horses and also make my exhaust sound alot louder so im thinking about knocking off the catalytic converter's on it, here's what im wondering if i take the cat's off and then just weld in pieces of exhaust pipe in their place is this going to throw a check engine light on my truck or mess up any of the 02 sensor readings? if their is anyone out their that has done this mod or knows about it please just write back.

thanks again.

Don't know if you have mandatory smog tests where you live, but removing

the cat(s) wouldn't fly in my locale. Also, there might be some issues with the

Federal emissions standards/requirements for your vehicle.

Removal of a working catalytic converter by a shop is a violation of Federal law and can be punishable by a fine of up to $50,000 and possibly jail time. It's against Federal law to even replace a working catalytic coverter with another one if the vehicle has less than 50,000 miles on it.

Even if you don't (currently) have smog testing, keeping the cats on will help keep the air cleaner. Today's converters flow much better than even 10 years ago and the typical size of a cat has shrunk down to where they really don't weigh a lot or take up a lot of room.

As mentioned, you will see error codes and most likely a decrease in performance and fuel economy.

To answer your question, You can just replace the cats with pipe, but you must have the rear two O2 sensors "turned OFF". This can be done by getting a tune from the many PCM tuners out there(charlie Wheatly, PCM4less ETC..) You just tell them what stuff you want done (take 75% of the TQ managment off, a 91-93 Octane tune, Remove/turn-off rear O2 sensors..etc..). Don't forget though that to get a PCM tune it will cost from $150-400 bucks. Its all up to you.

I would say that if you motor is pretty much stock, you will get a much better performace gain from getting the tune done vs messing with the CATS. But long story short, yes get the PCM tuned to "turn-off" the rear O2 sensors and then put regular exhaust pipe in place of the cats. Just my 2 cents, hope this helps!

Of course it will throw codes. You know why? Because your vehicle will be performing in a manner that will aid in our long term destruction! A modern vehicle can travel from D.C. to California and back and not put out a level of pollutants equal to driving a car from the 60s from D.C. to Baltimore (Source: AAA Mid-Atlantic). This might not include co2 "Global Warming" emissions. However, the facts remain that a lot of engineering has been put into modern vehicles to make them behave in a way that will allow a better chance of their drivers' lives being sustained. (i.e. not making our habitat a place where we can't breathe). Why would you throw all of that away to gain an additional 12 hp. Get with the program man, we have to be here for a long time! "Will cutting out the innards of my cat. converter throw codes?" Yeah, it definitely will, for a good reason!

To answer your second question, yes you will throw codes by just "punching out your cats and then welding them back on. The reason for this is that your rear O2 sensors will pick up the "exhaust gases" and reprt it back to your computer. You will ether have to get O2 simulators for the rear O2 sensors or get the computer reprogrammed.

Archived