4wd Not Working, Where To Start?

Ok guys, I need help. Y yesterday I stopped and re-secured my load in the back of my truck jump back in the truck put it in drive and I was on dirt and and punched it it got the truck a little sideways and then when it hit pavement it jerked and now I don't have drive and it it's a hard shift plus I get a check engine light what do I start

19 minutes ago, Tony Wilkinson said:

Ok guys, I need help. Y yesterday I stopped and re-secured my load in the back of my truck jump back in the truck put it in drive and I was on dirt and and punched it it got the truck a little sideways and then when it hit pavement it jerked and now I don't have drive and it it's a hard shift plus I get a check engine light what do I start

Start a new topic lol

what are you doing on this old one

• 11 months later...

Is This topic Still ALIVE ?    Help !  Mayday, MAYDAY ...a little tuffer than your standard actuator distress signal ... are You up for the Challenge ?    

I dunno if you still check these questions but mine is a lil more of a bugger...Imagine that ! Here goes ... Four wheel indicator light on 1991 k 1500 wont come on ...I replaced actuator , old one was good , I have power at actuator , and I verified old one functioning as well after new install , still no light . so then I replaced switch on top of Tcase ...NO LIGHT still .actually it feels like it is going into 4wd , but no light ...now heres a little detective work and some possible leads ... Im either thinking I have a failed 3.00$ diode , of which I am clueless to its location ? Or heres another ,my rear case seal has been leaking , and case is probably low , , that will be fixed next [what fluid in that aluminum case ? ATF ? } Im wondering if that might efect light operation ... here is the third clue and I dont know if it means anything ... My truck just died while out hunting in some ruff terrain , I was in 2wd , and truck stalled ... wouldnt start ..OH NO MR BILL ! anyway for some reason my injector fuse blew I replaced it and fired it up ?????? Im wondering if I didnt have some sort of sergio electronico , { thats like a brazillian gremlin } and it { Simon Taneous Lee ] thats like a cousin of Bruce lee ...Sorry I have to laff at this , cause ive wept enuff trying to fix it ... Im wondering if it didnt toast the diode ? or the low case fluid is giving me fitz ! P.S. Im clueless of the diode location ...do u know where it resides ...Thanxz sincerely Ben

Show less

• 1 year later...

I have a 1996 1500 chevy Silverado 4x4. My four wheel drive disengaeged while i was driving and never came back on. The fuse is good, i pulled out the front wheel actuator and it does move in and out when you switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. Thats all the farther ive gotten. What should i try next.

6 hours ago, Jaydogg78 said:

I have a 1996 1500 chevy Silverado 4x4. My four wheel drive disengaeged while i was driving and never came back on. The fuse is good, i pulled out the front wheel actuator and it does move in and out when you switch from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive. Thats all the farther ive gotten. What should i try next.

Put it in 4wd, chock the rear wheels, lift up one of the front wheels and try to spin it.

If it doesn't spin, great, you are in 4wd

If it does spin

a) if the front driveshaft spins when you spin the wheel, then most likely the chain in the TC in broken (could be other things, but that's the most likely)

b) if the front driveshaft doesn't spin with the wheel, and you can't rotate the front driveshaft by hand either, then (given that you checked the actuator that it does move in/out), most likely the locking gear and/or the passenger side stub axle (in the diff) is broken (could be other bits in the diff)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gary jr. said:

I have a 94 k2500 my problem is the driving down the road my front 4x4 actuator tries to kick in on it's own and I can hear it grinding.i have to stop the truck then it stops.dont know where to start any help please

I would suggest testing if the 4wd sensor in the transfer case is working right, or if there's a wiring problem to it.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This post was very helpful.  Thanks to all who contributed.  I wanted to add a bit that I found while troubleshooting why my 1996 K2500 would not engage the 4wd.  I went through all the troubleshooting and finally found the brown wire going from the starter to the actuator on the front axle was melted through.  I am guessing this was rubbing in the exhaust. I fixed this and mine took right off.  The brown wire on the actuator plug should have 12 vdc constantly.  The blue should get peer from the switch on top of the transfer case while in 4wd.  The black wire is a ground.  Hope this helps. 

• 1 year later...

I have a 96 k1500 Chevy it is electric push button I can get in it start it and the light on the button stays on for a few seconds and then goes off I have to push the hole switch in to put it into four wheel drive and the lights just flash and I know that my truck has the thermo stuff on it but when I am sitting for 2 minutes it should have kicked in but when I put it in four low it acts as if it kicked in but the front tires don't spin I've had all the tires in the air at the same time and only the back spin I don't know if it's the button or the actuator or what but I do know it's not the t case because it's out of a truck that the motor blew up in and it worked fine in that vehicle so the  case is new to my truck