Front Differential Noise

• 2 years later...

1/7/13 - Back to the top with this one..!!!

Old topic from winter past, I searched this one and a few others on the same issue….. Front differential noise when in four wheel drive.

I read thru this thread and the others on front diff noise.

Some are typing that they are just living with the issue, and some are saying that they replaced/rebuilt their front diff.

My truck is a 2012 Sierra, ½ ton, 5.3 , 1500 with less than 9000 miles on it…. Like only 8600 or 8800..!!!

I got it in May, did some driving in 4wd during hunting season, but nothing really fast, just 10 -15 mph, now with the recent snows, I’ve been in Auto/4wd a bit.

And I have the same problem / noise as Westlotorn originally posted about…. No noise in 2 wd, but a growling noise in Auto and 4wd… Loud enough to significantly hear it in the cab when driving at about 30 -40 mph.

It gets louder with speed ,,, but the noise levels off around 50 mph, it doesn’t get any louder above 50 as in doing 55-60 down the slushy Thru-way.

I’m wondering now if this is common…??

Any input is appreciated…!!!

Seems my 2001 is a candidate as well for this issue. Had to engage my 4wd a couple of weeks ago, sounded ok at speed but once I let off of throttle has groaning sound while coasting.

Thankfully I dont use it much, at this point I am not going to stick $500 into a 12 year old truck. Plan on selling it next year for a 2009+ crew cab. At least if it dies completely I know what to look for now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 8000 km on my 2012 and when the 4wd is engaged, I can def hear it. Kinda makes a ticking sound on acceleration but it does hum the whole time. Ill need a few more good snow falls for sure to see if it continues

• 3 years later...

1/7/13 - Back to the top with this one..!!!

Old topic from winter past, I searched this one and a few others on the same issue….. Front differential noise when in four wheel drive.

I read thru this thread and the others on front diff noise.

Some are typing that they are just living with the issue, and some are saying that they replaced/rebuilt their front diff.

My truck is a 2012 Sierra, ½ ton, 5.3 , 1500 with less than 9000 miles on it…. Like only 8600 or 8800..!!!

I got it in May, did some driving in 4wd during hunting season, but nothing really fast, just 10 -15 mph, now with the recent snows, I’ve been in Auto/4wd a bit.

And I have the same problem / noise as Westlotorn originally posted about…. No noise in 2 wd, but a growling noise in Auto and 4wd… Loud enough to significantly hear it in the cab when driving at about 30 -40 mph.

It gets louder with speed ,,, but the noise levels off around 50 mph, it doesn’t get any louder above 50 as in doing 55-60 down the slushy Thru-way.

I’m wondering now if this is common…??

Any input is appreciated…!!!

Your problem sounds more like hub bearings with such low miles still.. ur trucks to new to have differential noise in my opiniin

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Archived