Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

firepoggy

Anyone Add Factory Remote Start?

I had a remote start on my 05 Sierra and loved it. I bought the truck used and it was a cheaper starter so I had two remotes to carry around.

So with this truck I want to do it right, one remote to operate the start and keyless entry.

The local dealer quoted me $399 installed and the shop that installed the starter on the old truck quoted me $390 installed.

Has anyone added factory remote start to a silverado or sierra? What does the key fob look like and how do you operate the start? My wifes Malibu came with factory remote start and she has to hit the lock button before the start button, I hope it is not the same.

The range of the starter from the dealer is 1000ft and the shop is 1500ft. Whch is a better buy in your opinion?

I had a remote start on my 05 Sierra and loved it. I bought the truck used and it was a cheaper starter so I had two remotes to carry around.

So with this truck I want to do it right, one remote to operate the start and keyless entry.

The local dealer quoted me $399 installed and the shop that installed the starter on the old truck quoted me $390 installed.

Has anyone added factory remote start to a silverado or sierra? What does the key fob look like and how do you operate the start? My wifes Malibu came with factory remote start and she has to hit the lock button before the start button, I hope it is not the same.

The range of the starter from the dealer is 1000ft and the shop is 1500ft. Whch is a better buy in your opinion?

the remote start on my truck is one remote (replaced the factory and has key-less and what not built in) that I push one button (has a star on it) twice to remote start, $400 is about right for a quality kit after you figure install and the needed hardware

I'd go OEM, I don't trust the stereo shops quality. At least GM is plug and pray with the existing harness.

Ooh, ooh....I got this one!

OEM= Original Equipment Manufacturer :P

I, too, used to be tripped up by acronyms like this. :D That is until IM and texting became popular. :chevy:

l8r,

Jeff P.

I would vote OEM. I was going to put a remote start in the Burb, but decided against it after reading up on how they install these things. Because the keys have chips in them and need to be programmed to the vehicle, the vehicle won't start without the key. This can be accomplished by taping the key under the dash (some mfrs have RF proximity sensors for the key) and using a valet key to unlock the ignition switch, or in the case of GM, using an aftermarket black box to bypass the factory PassLock security system.

So you are basically trading security for convenience. I would assume (dangerous, I know) that the OEM is designed to work with the PassLock system, not to bypass it.

Best site for this stuff is The 12 Volt, it's a forum for pro installers to share tips, etc., but they will answer DIY questions also. Best is to post with the specific brand and model of the aftermarket one you are looking at with the model/yr of the vehicle and you will get opinions about the "quality" of the install possible with that combo.

My apologies for reviving an old topic, but I just had the factory remote start installed on my SLT.

It turns out, that if you have an SLT, the remote start is lying dormant in the computer. After paying $200 for two key fobs, and $50 for the programming, the system works.

If I knew then what I know now, the key fobs for the remote start are available on eBay for around $35 apiece.

If your gmt-900 has the RPO code AP-8 you can have the factory remote start

enabled.

Just score the factory auto start remotes from fleabay instead of the dealer.

Heres why $195 bucks a pair :

http://www.gmaccessorydealer.com/details.asp?prod_id=95069

Then have the dealer program your truck with the Tech 2.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...ry+remote+start

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/genera...art-2008-a.html

I payed $200 i think for the key fobs and $77 to have them programmed. DO NOT buy remote start key fobs off ebay and expect it to work. The dealership needs a code that comes with the key fobs before they can program them. Something i learned when i had remote start put on my 08 silverado

DEX.........From posts elsewhere folks have had their e-bay remotes and

AP-8 equipped trucks auto start enabled even tho they didn't purchase

the GM kit with the supplied code number from the GM kit.

Ya think a sharp tech. saved the code from the kit and used the number

on another vehicle without buying the kit or is the number different for

each kit?

The plot thickens!!!!!!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.