Steering Radio Controls

i have some pictures of what the connectors look like on a steering wheel with audio controls if this might help you, i really want steering wheel controls as well

Did you remove the steering wheel? if so, how easy was it? Any problems taking out the air bag? I should be receiving the steering wheel w/ the radio controls sometime this week and up to the dealer for installation (I'm taking it to the dealer because I'm almost 100% certain the computer has to be reprogrammed to read controls).

More to come...

No need to remove the steering wheel to install the radio redundant control pod. All that is necessary is to remove airag by disengaging the spring locks from behind, one each side. Torx screws get removed from horn mechanism and then the pod is installed, re-assemble in the reverse order. The stock steering wheel (simulated leather) has all necessary attributes including the plug termination to radio. No re-programming is necessary unless something changed after mid year 2007 that I haven't come across. If you need any more information just let me know.

Steve

TIGHT! Now all we need is a part number! Anyone here with the controls willing to contact GMPartsDirect.com and have them look up the number for the part?

Daddy

i have a few part numbers for this radio control pod: 15819311, 15824117, 15824119, i got those from the dealership, i think the back plastic piece on the steering wheel is different and may require cutting out a spot, look into for me, i do not want to remove my airbag

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black Crew Cab,

Got my steering wheel with the radio controls today...Yes indeed you need a new (or need to cut) back plastic trim/piece to accomodate the new controls. The one that I have in my truck (w/o the controls) doesn't have an opening for it. Let me know if you need pictures.

I played a little with the air bag release tabs and it seems fairly easy process to install like stated by Daddy. I'll install the new steering wheel as a whole since I don't want to remove the torcx screws and deal with a bunch of loose parts.

Good Luck!

Black Crew Cab,

Got my steering wheel with the radio controls today...Yes indeed you need a new (or need to cut) back plastic trim/piece to accomodate the new controls. The one that I have in my truck (w/o the controls) doesn't have an opening for it. Let me know if you need pictures.

I played a little with the air bag release tabs and it seems fairly easy process to install like stated by Daddy. I'll install the new steering wheel as a whole since I don't want to remove the torcx screws and deal with a bunch of loose parts.

Good Luck!

sweet man, i bet it looks good, can you get me some pictures too? i may try to cut the plastic if its not too hard, but i bet it is too hard and i will buy a wheel for $190 from gm parts direct, i got a new pic of my interior after installing the console, looks great

post-41932-1193966665_thumb.jpg

Black Crew Cab,

Good Luck!

sweet man, i bet it looks good, can you get me some pictures too? i may try to cut the plastic if its not too hard, but i bet it is too hard and i will buy a wheel for $190 from gm parts direct, i got a new pic of my interior after installing the console, looks great

another good pic of interior with new console

post-41932-1193967029_thumb.jpg

Black Crew Cab,

Attached are the pictures of the whole steering assembly. The cutout for the radio controls is identical to the one on the left for the cruise control. Pretty big chunk to cutout yourself.

This steering wheel doesn't have the silver plastic trim, instead it has a black, kind of rubber feel trim. It's the same as on my wife's Tahoe and it does feel better to the touch.

steer1.pdf

steer1.pdf

steer1.pdf

steer1.pdf

Black Crew Cab,

Good Luck!

How do you attached pictures? Anyways, great job on the console it looks awesome. How much did you pay for it? My next mod is adding the XM module to the radio, after that I need to chill wife is getting a little bit pissed;) Althought I need to find how to do the fog lights upgrade.

Black Crew Cab,

Good Luck!

How do you attached pictures? Anyways, great job on the console it looks awesome. How much did you pay for it? My next mod is adding the XM module to the radio, after that I need to chill wife is getting a little bit pissed;) Althought I need to find how to do the fog lights upgrade.

i paid only 200 for the console, i sold my center seat for 300, so i ended up making money

Black Crew Cab,

Good Luck!

Where did you get the console from? do you know the part number?

Black Crew Cab,

Good Luck!

i got it on ebay from a guy in austin, tx, he was a really cool guy, a console like mine is on ebay right now for $230 plus shipping, i bet you can talk him into $300 shipped to your door though

Black Crew Cab,

Good Luck!

i got it on ebay from a guy in austin, tx, he was a really cool guy, a console like mine is on ebay right now for $230 plus shipping, i bet you can talk him into $300 shipped to your door though

Looking for it please send link.

Black Crew Cab,

Good Luck!

Looking for it please send link.

ebay # 270182094832

I went to gmparts and looked up the steering wheel and it looks like you can buy the piece with the area cut out, as well as the radio control pod, seperate from buying the whole steering wheel. The cost looked to be about $40.00 for both.

Someone with more knowledge and experience than me can probably shed more light.

I went to gmparts and looked up the steering wheel and it looks like you can buy the piece with the area cut out, as well as the radio control pod, seperate from buying the whole steering wheel. The cost looked to be about $40.00 for both.

Someone with more knowledge and experience than me can probably shed more light.

i noticed that too, i got the part number for both the pod and the shroud for the steering wheel

i noticed that too, i got the part number for both the pod and the shroud for the steering wheel

I was in my truck a little while ago and I looked at that piece at it looked like it was all one piece. I'm not sure that the part I saw at the gmparts site was that piece, it had a right and left side, not one piece.

Archived