Steering Radio Controls

Just ordered the switch and shroud, will let everyone know when it shows up and will document the install.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

Daddy

You da man!

or should I say "Whose your daddy"

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, you may be waiting for these results.

WARNING: Look first, order second.

I ordered the parts on Friday evening so I decided to take the wheel apart today and take a look-see after a member mentioned his truck did not have the harness that another member stated should be there . It sounded as though he had some experience but I should have checked anyway (he did say to check first, I was just lazy). Regardless, the harness is not there and now someone else is rebutting the statement by this same member that the controls are plug and play. Looking for the wiring harness part number right now. Even if I find that I am not sure if it's going to work. I will let you all know if I hear anything positive. It's only 40 bucks but it is still irritating.

Daddy

Unfortunately, you may be waiting for these results.

WARNING: Look first, order second.

I ordered the parts on Friday evening so I decided to take the wheel apart today and take a look-see after a member mentioned his truck did not have the harness that another member stated should be there . It sounded as though he had some experience but I should have checked anyway (he did say to check first, I was just lazy). Regardless, the harness is not there and now someone else is rebutting the statement by this same member that the controls are plug and play. Looking for the wiring harness part number right now. Even if I find that I am not sure if it's going to work. I will let you all know if I hear anything positive. It's only 40 bucks but it is still irritating.

Daddy

STEERING WHEEL PICTURES!!!!!!!!! SLE1 W/O RADIO CONTROLS

post-41932-1194219754_thumb.jpg

post-41932-1194219762_thumb.jpg

post-41932-1194219771_thumb.jpg

Update:

The steering wheel w/ radio controls was installed on Friday. Didn't want to mess with it after doing some "soul" searching so I took it to the dealership. They charged me $50 for the installation (it took less than 1 hr), no programming was required just take old one out and install the new one.

That mod makes a huge difference and I really like having control of the radio without moving my hands off the steering wheel. Highly recommend this modification (just like the DIC).

Now this week will install the XM module for the radio. After that I need to figure out how to add the fog lights, not having those really piss me off (I don't even drive at night). The truck just looks a lot better I can't believe I didn't pay attention to this when I purchased the truck. Oh well :thumbs:

Update:

The steering wheel w/ radio controls was installed on Friday. Didn't want to mess with it after doing some "soul" searching so I took it to the dealership. They charged me $50 for the installation (it took less than 1 hr), no programming was required just take old one out and install the new one.

That mod makes a huge difference and I really like having control of the radio without moving my hands off the steering wheel. Highly recommend this modification (just like the DIC).

Now this week will install the XM module for the radio. After that I need to figure out how to add the fog lights, not having those really piss me off (I don't even drive at night). The truck just looks a lot better I can't believe I didn't pay attention to this when I purchased the truck. Oh well :thumbs:

hey divejoe

can you take a pic? and what were your part numbers? i have the titanium interior in my sle1 gmc sierra, if you could help me with this that would be awesome

thanks

brad

Update:

hey divejoe

can you take a pic? and what were your part numbers? i have the titanium interior in my sle1 gmc sierra, if you could help me with this that would be awesome

thanks

brad

I'll post a pic later on, but the part number for the complete steering wheel is from GMPartDirects (part no. 15917931, ebony leather wrapped steering wheel). They had just the controls but I wasn't sure if the connectors were in my current steering wheel so I didn't want to risk disasembling the steering wheel and not finding where to plug the controls. The setup was $182.91 total ($149 for the steering wheel and $32 for shipping/processing fees).

The steering wheel is all black so I like the way it looks, but you can swap the titanium plastic trimm with the black rubberized one very easily.

I'd like to apologize to anyone who took my posts as the bible. The information I had put out was based upon an experience the shop I work at had early last summer with four 2007 Chevy LT models that were manufactured last February. We were contracted to do interior modifications which also encompassed replacing the steering wheels with upgraded wheels from the Cadillac line, badging removed. I assumed (now a bad word) that all the GMT900 trucks would be this way, having the wiring harness within the wheel but unused if the option were not ordered. Sounds like I was grossly wrong.

But, I did say to check before ordering as I didn't want anyone getting ticked at me if it were not there.

Daddy, Let me do some investigating for you and see if there isn't a simple solution. I'll get back with you when I have more information.

Schlogster :thumbs:

I'd like to apologize to anyone who took my posts as the bible. The information I had put out was based upon an experience the shop I work at had early last summer with four 2007 Chevy LT models that were manufactured last February. We were contracted to do interior modifications which also encompassed replacing the steering wheels with upgraded wheels from the Cadillac line, badging removed. I assumed (now a bad word) that all the GMT900 trucks would be this way, having the wiring harness within the wheel but unused if the option were not ordered. Sounds like I was grossly wrong.

But, I did say to check before ordering as I didn't want anyone getting ticked at me if it were not there.

Daddy, Let me do some investigating for you and see if there isn't a simple solution. I'll get back with you when I have more information.

Schlogster :thumbs:

No sweat, anything you can come up with will be greatly appreciated. At least it sounds like there is still no programming involved. It'll all work out somehow. You did say to check first!

Daddy

Schlogster :crackup:

No sweat, anything you can come up with will be greatly appreciated. At least it sounds like there is still no programming involved. It'll all work out somehow. You did say to check first!

Daddy

I stopped by two GM dealership part departments today. I was told at both places that the wiring harness for the steering wheel mounted radio controls is not sold separately. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and have better results. I have already ordered the radio switch and the shroud. Both parts from www.gmpartsdirect are non refundable. I guess my other options would be to buy the complete steering wheel or try to locate the harness at a junk yard.

Jim

Sugar Land, TX.

Daddy

I stopped by two GM dealership part departments today. I was told at both places that the wiring harness for the steering wheel mounted radio controls is not sold separately. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and have better results. I have already ordered the radio switch and the shroud. Both parts from www.gmpartsdirect are non refundable. I guess my other options would be to buy the complete steering wheel or try to locate the harness at a junk yard.

Jim

Sugar Land, TX.

gmpartsdirect.com will sell you just the harness

Daddy

Jim

Sugar Land, TX.

gmpartsdirect.com will sell you just the harness

Thanks. I checked their website and couldn't find it. Do you know the part number? I found an blowup illustration at gmpartsdirect.com, but it says part is N/A.

OK, I did a little looking around at old parts today trying to remember what was what. Here are a few photo's of how the wiring harness is mounted as well as what it looks like out of the wheel. Please keep in mind that these wheels may not necessarily reflect the exact same unit you have, it is all based upon trim level and options ordered. Couple of part numbers on this harness, I'd check them both. They are: 28050229 and Z49480229.

Here's a few photos of how it is routed in the wheel.

post-40518-1194299249_thumb.jpg

post-40518-1194299508_thumb.jpg

post-40518-1194299538_thumb.jpg