In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Tech Code "dtc P0014" 2003 Trailblazer

I took my 2003 TB in for service because the check engine light came on, it had been serviced before for the same thing in 2003 or 2004! This time they said something to the effect of the cam sensor or something to that effect needed to be replaced and that they will order the parts. My TB was at the shop for a week and the parts needed never came in. I took my car home for the weekend. I called about the parts around two and a half weeks later because no one called and they said that they finally came in and to bring my TB in on Mon, Dec 31st. The service guy was surprised to see that my service order had been open for 35 days! Anyway what I though was going to be just a few hours at the repair shop to put the parts in ended up with the service manager sayin that he has to keep the TB till Jan 2nd. because they got an error code P0014 which on the newer models are requiring that the engine is to be replaced?

Has any one heard about this code P0014?

And what is necessary to fix it, I do have an extended warranty, I have 58,890 miles.

Thank You,

This time they said something to the effect of the cam sensor or something to that effect

I do not know if they replaced the sensor or actuator by your post but there is a bulliten that explains why they would think it needs an engine but it doesn't apply to an 03. If they replaced the sensor my bet is that it needs an actuator but if they replaced that I couldn't tell you it doesn't need an engine. Any way if you have a warranty and they want to pay for a new motor I wouldn't question it I'd just take the free new motor and be happy. Here's the bulliten.

Subject:DTC P0014, P0017, and/or Belt Noise - Inspect Actuator Solenoid and Crank End Play - keywords bearing cam chirp damaged debris internal light metal P0106 phaser replacement run SES squeak thrust #PIP3693B - (04/04/2006)

Models:2005-2006 Buick Rainier

2005-2006 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

2005-2006 GMC Envoy

2005-2006 Saab 9-7x

with 4.2L Engine (VIN S - RPO LL8)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1809545&psdid=1237&evc=sm#ss1-1809545">

Condition/Concern:

On rare occasions, a rough idle may be encountered with a P0014 and/or P0017 DTC. Due to the rough idle, a P0106 DTC may be stored too. This concern may be due to debris in the camshaft actuator system, which may be caused by a missing camshaft actuator solenoid screen or a worn crankshaft thrust bearing. Typically, this is the result of a camshaft actuator solenoid concern. If this is due to a worn crankshaft thrust bearing, some customers may also comment on a drive belt noise.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1809545&psdid=1237&evc=sm#ss2-1809545">

Recommendation/Instructions:

If this concern is encountered, follow the SI diagnostics and repair as necessary. If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this concern, ensure that camshaft actuator solenoid screens 1, 2, and 3 are in place as shown below:

1752543.gif

tif.gif

(1)Screen for Advance Pressure to Camshaft Actuator(2)Screen for Pressurized Oil from Oil Pump(3)Screen for Retard Pressure to Camshaft ActuatorIf any of these screens are missing, replace the camshaft actuator solenoid, change the engine oil and filter, and evaluate the concern.

If all these screens are present, measure the crankshaft end play to determine if it is within the specification of 0.0044" - 0.0153" (0.112 - 0.388 mm). Typically, if excessive crankshaft end play is causing this concern, it will be obviously out of specification by .050" or more. If crankshaft end play is within specification, replace the camshaft actuator solenoid.

If the crankshaft end play is obviously out of specification, inspect the engine block for damage due to contact with the crankshaft. If engine block damage is present, contact the PQC (Product Quality Center) at 1-866-654-7654 for engine replacement authorization.

If there is no engine block damage present, disassemble the engine and inspect the following components for damage due to thrust bearing debris in the engine oil: all bearings, all journals, all valvetrain components, all timing components, and the crankshaft

Then, estimate what it will cost to replace the oil pump, camshaft actuator solenoid, all damaged parts, and to completely disassemble the engine to thoroughly clean all of the cylinder head and engine block oil galleys with oil galley brushes and soapy water.

After the repair estimate is complete, estimate what it would cost to replace the engine and contact the PQC to review these estimates as outlined in 02-07-30-029F.

Important: On 2006 models with excessive crankshaft end play, please submit a field product report by following 02-00-89-002D.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gifWE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved

This time they said something to the effect of the cam sensor or something to that effect

I do not know if they replaced the sensor or actuator by your post but there is a bulliten that explains why they would think it needs an engine but it doesn't apply to an 03. If they replaced the sensor my bet is that it needs an actuator but if they replaced that I couldn't tell you it doesn't need an engine. Any way if you have a warranty and they want to pay for a new motor I wouldn't question it I'd just take the free new motor and be happy. Here's the bulliten.

Subject:DTC P0014, P0017, and/or Belt Noise - Inspect Actuator Solenoid and Crank End Play - keywords bearing cam chirp damaged debris internal light metal P0106 phaser replacement run SES squeak thrust #PIP3693B - (04/04/2006)

2005-2006 GMC Envoy

2005-2006 Saab 9-7x

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1809545&psdid=1237&evc=sm#ss1-1809545">

Condition/Concern:

On rare occasions, a rough idle may be encountered with a P0014 and/or P0017 DTC. Due to the rough idle, a P0106 DTC may be stored too. This concern may be due to debris in the camshaft actuator system, which may be caused by a missing camshaft actuator solenoid screen or a worn crankshaft thrust bearing. Typically, this is the result of a camshaft actuator solenoid concern. If this is due to a worn crankshaft thrust bearing, some customers may also comment on a drive belt noise.

<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1809545&psdid=1237&evc=sm#ss2-1809545">

If this concern is encountered, follow the SI diagnostics and repair as necessary. If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this concern, ensure that camshaft actuator solenoid screens 1, 2, and 3 are in place as shown below:

1752543.gif

tif.gif

(1)Screen for Advance Pressure to Camshaft Actuator(2)Screen for Pressurized Oil from Oil Pump(3)Screen for Retard Pressure to Camshaft ActuatorIf any of these screens are missing, replace the camshaft actuator solenoid, change the engine oil and filter, and evaluate the concern.

If all these screens are present, measure the crankshaft end play to determine if it is within the specification of 0.0044" - 0.0153" (0.112 - 0.388 mm). Typically, if excessive crankshaft end play is causing this concern, it will be obviously out of specification by .050" or more. If crankshaft end play is within specification, replace the camshaft actuator solenoid.

If the crankshaft end play is obviously out of specification, inspect the engine block for damage due to contact with the crankshaft. If engine block damage is present, contact the PQC (Product Quality Center) at 1-866-654-7654 for engine replacement authorization.

If there is no engine block damage present, disassemble the engine and inspect the following components for damage due to thrust bearing debris in the engine oil: all bearings, all journals, all valvetrain components, all timing components, and the crankshaft

Then, estimate what it will cost to replace the oil pump, camshaft actuator solenoid, all damaged parts, and to completely disassemble the engine to thoroughly clean all of the cylinder head and engine block oil galleys with oil galley brushes and soapy water.

After the repair estimate is complete, estimate what it would cost to replace the engine and contact the PQC to review these estimates as outlined in 02-07-30-029F.

Important: On 2006 models with excessive crankshaft end play, please submit a field product report by following 02-00-89-002D.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Thank you for your reply,

The service guys said they read the bulliten, and that is why they wanted to keep my car and just not replace the the parts and 3 or 4 months later I'm back in there with the same prob.

The extended war. co. prob. would not be to happy since they already fixed the sensor once or twice already.

I think they are going to ask the tech guys if this could also be a prob. in the older versions of the TB's. that way they could put a new motor in , I do not have a deductable, so it would be all good! I would rather get a new motor now than to have my extended war. to expire at 100,000 miles! And I have to put a new motor in with my money!!

Also they changed my oil around a month ago when I had it at the shop the first time, they did not tell me if metal was in the oil or not!

Thanks again!

2005-2006 GMC Envoy

2005-2006 Saab 9-7x

Condition/Concern:

1752543.gif

tif.gif

Well they ended up replacing the sensor! And I picked up my car on Thurs. only to take it back to them on Fri., because now it was stauling out on me (shaking, ruff idle, dead etc), every time I stopped or turned on the heater, it died happened 3 or more times! It is Mon., and he said it is throwing all kinds of codes, one had something to do with the air modular or something, they replaced it for no charge and it still did not fix the problem I am told!! Im not sure what the codes are the service guy did not give them to me.

Every time I take my car to the Chevy place it is there for at least a week or more!! : (

• 1 month later...

Well we ended up putting in a new motor at the cost of $7860.00, My extended warranty company "Mercury Insurance Group" (THE JERKS) said they would not pay for it even though they said I had all my oil change slips, and I have always had the oil changed between 3000 to 3500 miles as needed. So I have contacted the BBB and I am waiting for a response from them, the JERKS would not even give me a copy of the insurance adjusters report.

I'm not holding my breath though! The BBB can only do so much! And I am going to take this all the way! I kept my motor and have spoke to a lawyer already. They have there nerves, I have a 5 year 100,000 mile -0- deductable, Insurance contract, and I plan on getting my money back!! Boy am I pissed!!

The motor I got says, Duramax 4200 and it is a 2008,

Does any one know if it is any better than the orig. motor that came with the 03 trailblazers?

It seems to ride a little ruffer than the orig. motor when it was new!! It has a shake when sitting at the light, I plan on taking it back to se if maybe it just needs to be tweeked or something?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

2005-2006 GMC Envoy

2005-2006 Saab 9-7x

Condition/Concern:

1752543.gif

tif.gif

Well they ended up replacing the sensor! And I picked up my car on Thurs. only to take it back to them on Fri., because now it was stauling out on me (shaking, ruff idle, dead etc), every time I stopped or turned on the heater, it died happened 3 or more times! It is Mon., and he said it is throwing all kinds of codes, one had something to do with the air modular or something, they replaced it for no charge and it still did not fix the problem I am told!! Im not sure what the codes are the service guy did not give them to me.

Every time I take my car to the Chevy place it is there for at least a week or more!! : (

2005-2006 GMC Envoy

2005-2006 Saab 9-7x

Condition/Concern:

1752543.gif

tif.gif

Does anyone know the part number to the camshaft acuator solenoid above. I cant find it anywhere and the dealer wont give it to me. Please help!

• 1 year later...

2005-2006 GMC Envoy

2005-2006 Saab 9-7x

Condition/Concern:

1752543.gif

tif.gif

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! great write up and details. I knew exactly what to talk to the mechanic about and how to fix it. he showed me how to do it and i did it myself. with your help and his combined it made it easy. quick question though.

is it mandatory to change the oil after you change the camshaft actuator soloenoid? it was missing the screen closest to the base where it bolts on.

Archived