In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Hybrid Conversions For Older Trucks?

I was searching the internet today and found Advance DC Motors Inc. which makes 80 hp electric motors for compact car electric conversions. Has anyone thought of running one of these as a front axle to their truck? and just have the gas motor run the rear? Just an idea, a couple years ago I believe Honda did something similar with a concept car

86 hp and probably 200 ftlbs of torque, shouldn't your gas mileage go up really really high, close to 30? and doing a conversion would probably mean we wont have to get rid of our trucks just to accommodate the Al Gore's of the world, plus it would be alot easier and significantly cheaper than a newer car.

I believe the motor goes for about 700 dollars, plus batteries and the necessary electronics so probably close to 3 grand for a full kit.

Archived