Gm's "new" Brake Light Nearly Got Me Killed

Till I read this I wasn't aware that the brake light wasn't on if they key is out either. That's kind of odd as well.

I'm a highway driver almost 100% of the time. If I drove in town I'd be more worried, but I do ride the brake a lot going down big hills and tho I've read the complaint on here about it before this was the first I really even thought about it. Going downhill I hit the brake hard enough to start to slow down...then let off to abot 1/4 brake. Whole way down the hill brake light never came on.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Livio Felluga Pinot Grigio Tonight Fred. A little taste of Italy

Miller lite a little taste of Milwaukee.

Well Mike... that's a little easier to get the cork out of! :crackup:

Slumming it tonite Jim, Sutter Home Zinfandel. :crackup: Cleaning out leftovers from New Years.

Sutter Home has no slums, Fred.

Noticed the same thing on mine, very annoying...I hate people who keep flashing the brake lights then I see it's happening to my truck and so I pretty much just have to hit the sumbitch as hard as I can to keep it on.

DAMMIT! I wish I had never read this thread. Now I'm gonna be watching every time I press on the brake. :crackup:

My wife should be safe... She drives like Michael Shumacher. Brake late... and HARD... and hang the corner at 10 tenths. :crackup:

Read through this thread last night but refrained from replying until I got a chance to check mine out. This morning on my way to work, I did so. Since I cannot see my own brake lights while driving, I checked while stopped at a stoplight with a car behind me so I could see the reflection off of the car. Anytime I let off the brake pedal, even just a little bit, the brake lights did go off, but once I pressed down again, they went back on. Regardless of how far I let off. Even with the brake pedal pressed as hard as possible (within reason) I would let off only slightly and re-press it and they would come back on every time. I do agree they should stay on all the time anytime the pedal is anywhere but completely retracted.

Read through this thread last night but refrained from replying until I got a chance to check mine out. This morning on my way to work, I did so. Since I cannot see my own brake lights while driving, I checked while stopped at a stoplight with a car behind me so I could see the reflection off of the car. Anytime I let off the brake pedal, even just a little bit, the brake lights did go off, but once I pressed down again, they went back on. Regardless of how far I let off. Even with the brake pedal pressed as hard as possible (within reason) I would let off only slightly and re-press it and they would come back on every time. I do agree they should stay on all the time anytime the pedal is anywhere but completely retracted.

so your saying yours is working fine?

I never knew about this but Im gonna check mine today and reply later.

Not sure about my truck, but I know my 2000 Mercury Sable did the same thing. If you let off the brake, even a little, the lights would go off until you put more pressure on the pedal.

I wonder how this could affect trailer brake systems? Many brake controllers are timed and letting off of the brake (or at least it thinking you did) would screw that timing up.

Matt

This is a serious safety issue. The brake lights should come on and remain on even when the brake pedal is lightly depressed. The brake light switch is mounted next to the brake pedal and it is basically a spring loaded simple plunger switch that completes the circuit as the pedal forces the plunger in. The return spring releases the plunger and breaks the contact when the brake pedal is released.

The obvious question is: is the brake switch adjustable? If so, this may be the answer. I will check mine today to see what it looks like. If adjustment is not possible, GM should step up to the plate and recall the trucks and replace the switch with a new redesigned switch that works as it should.

Note: Recently Volkswagen had a massive recall campaign on malfunctioning brake switches in VW vehicles. Looks like they were failing to turn on the brake lights when needed, or turning them on when not commanded, and keeping them on (=ghost brake lights).

Well guys I checked my 2008 today during lunch. I had two of my co-workers watch my brakes as I tried to simulate the condition that some said made it not work.....mine worked fine according to them :)

I checked all four of my trucks today 00,01,03 & 04 and the peddle only has to move 3/16" for lights to go on. From there down and up until 3/16" from top light stay on. Oldest truck has 247240 mi and has never along with the rest of my trucks had any brake switch repair let alone brake repair other than relining.

I checked all four of my trucks today 00,01,03 & 04 and the peddle only has to move 3/16" for lights to go on. From there down and up until 3/16" from top light stay on. Oldest truck has 247240 mi and has never along with the rest of my trucks had any brake switch repair let alone brake repair other than relining.

I believe this design is only going to be on vehicles '06-up or maybe vehicles with AFM.

I noticed the day I brought my truck home that the brake lites were funny as in not working with key off and switching off with pedal still applied. I noticed it against a closed garage door behind me, but didn't think too much of it until I read ths post. Disturbing to say the least! Shouldn't we be able to nail something as simple as brake lites by now? Sheesh!

Well guys I checked my 2008 today during lunch. I had two of my co-workers watch my brakes as I tried to simulate the condition that some said made it not work.....mine worked fine according to them :)

Likewise, today I was able to check my nbs in my business parking lot while watching the reflection of the lights in the windows of the building. With engine running and full vacuum available, I was able to fashion a real life rolling test. It seemed to function correctly except for one little nuance: when easing off of the brake pedal very slowly, I noticed the brake lamps blink out and then on and with further brake release eventually go out and stay out consistently. I could not determine that there was a sweet spot that the brake lamps would stay out with partial pedal depression. Normal, rapid brake pedal release did not create this blinking.

Archived