Gm's "new" Brake Light Nearly Got Me Killed

here's something to consider, this is my first automatic truck... all my standard trucks i down shifted on and hardly ever used the brakes. so how is this really any different, if you are slowing down it doesn't always mean you are using the brakes. its the drivers responsibility to follow at a safe distance. If people don't make evasive maneuvers everybody's driving experience would be better...

also, i tested this in my truck, it was pretty hard to modulate to get it to brake with the light off.... can it be done? yes. but i don't think its worse than driving a stick shift.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New to the forum,

I got a 2010 Sierra W/T 4x4 and my brake lights will flicker if i quickly release to about half way but they always go right back on within a split second. They never will completely go off and stay off unless I fully release. The dealership here couldn't explain it and they changed out the switch. Nothing changed. After reading all of this, seems like they never tried to actually fix the problem... Also I had a 2011 Z71 rental truck a month ago, same thing! So it's a continuing problem for those with even 2010 and up trucks.

Cutting the spring worked great for me too. Dealer replaced the switch once and I replaced it myself before finally cutting it. No more "lightning bug" brake lights now. I always watch other GMT900s when behind them and I see many with flashing brake lights or they're off when they are obviously braking.

Archived