Gm's "new" Brake Light Nearly Got Me Killed

Well guys I checked my 2008 today during lunch. I had two of my co-workers watch my brakes as I tried to simulate the condition that some said made it not work.....mine worked fine according to them :)

Likewise, today I was able to check my nbs in my business parking lot while watching the reflection of the lights in the windows of the building. With engine running and full vacuum available, I was able to fashion a real life rolling test. It seemed to function correctly except for one little nuance: when easing off of the brake pedal very slowly, I noticed the brake lamps blink out and then on and with further brake release eventually go out and stay out consistently. I could not determine that there was a sweet spot that the brake lamps would stay out with partial pedal depression. Normal, rapid brake pedal release did not create this blinking.

Im gonna try to simulate this again with mine

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread was started by someone who bought a 1500 series GM truck, used it like a 2500 series truck is used, and is now surprised at how the truck has not been reliable. Seems like a good guy, but his feelings toward GM now are definitely biased. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with your brake lights, most people here are noticing nothing is wrong.

This thread was started by someone who bought a 1500 series GM truck, used it like a 2500 series truck is used, and is now surprised at how the truck has not been reliable. Seems like a good guy, but his feelings toward GM now are definitely biased. I wouldn't concern yourself too much with your brake lights, most people here are noticing nothing is wrong.

With no disrespect intended to anyone, I have no personal knowledge of the motive of this thread, my own test of MY VEHICLE shows that a vehicle following me is going to have a better-than-reasonable chance of knowing my intentions. I do however, find the engineering route on brake lamp illumination unnerving.

no disrespect either, but I will post a good video if necessary to attempt to show the concern. put it like this, I have had the priveledge to drive all of the domestic brands and settled very early on GM and have never looked back. just pointing out a concern of mine that is shared by others.......

I just went out into the garage to test mine. Yes, the brake lights go out rather quickly but this is just barely touching the brake pedal to activate the lights. So I tried pressing the pedal as hard as one would while driving and it appears to work fine by me. I did not crawl under the dash to look, but I am guessing that it is a position sensor, like the gas pedal, and not a mechanical switch like in the past. At the worst, I think it is just a touchy switch and a non-issue.

Your an idiot. First - there's no difference in new body thickness of the 1500 and 2500. If you sit on the bed rail of an '08 2500 it will deform just as easily as the 1500. It may have a beefier frame but that's pretty irrelevant to the body deforming. I don't use the truck at all now. After 3 transmissions in the first 2500 miles I quit using it pretty much all together and replaced it. If driving 200 miles a day requires a 3/4 ton truck then I guess we're all screwed.

Neither of those "facts" has anything to do with the brakes.

Read how many in this thread have noticed the same exact thing. The same exact thing.

The brake light should stay lit the whole time the brake pedal is pressed - either a little or a lot. Not just on the way down like it does now.

My guess is most people never look out the back of their truck to look at it. I never did either and I only rarely drive this truck at night (honestly I rarely drive it all now).

I guess I was the idiot who thought a truck made in 2007 would have a working brake light.

Sorry I won't bother you folks again.

Your an idiot. First - there's no difference in new body thickness of the 1500 and 2500. If you sit on the bed rail of an '08 2500 it will deform just as easily as the 1500. It may have a beefier frame but that's pretty irrelevant to the body deforming. I don't use the truck at all now. After 3 transmissions in the first 2500 miles I quit using it pretty much all together and replaced it. If driving 200 miles a day requires a 3/4 ton truck then I guess we're all screwed.

Neither of those "facts" has anything to do with the brakes.

Read how many in this thread have noticed the same exact thing. The same exact thing.

The brake light should stay lit the whole time the brake pedal is pressed - either a little or a lot. Not just on the way down like it does now.

My guess is most people never look out the back of their truck to look at it. I never did either and I only rarely drive this truck at night (honestly I rarely drive it all now).

I guess I was the idiot who thought a truck made in 2007 would have a working brake light.

Sorry I won't bother you folks again.

You're worried about someone sitting on the bed rail of your truck, and then this is one of the first posts you ever made at this site:

out of curiousity what makes you want to sell it already ?
First I got high centered on a water bar and used a skidder to push the truck off. Onstar called and said I had a hard hit and wanted to know if I was OK. I told them never call again unless the air bag goes off.

Later I had the truck idling and bumped the front grille guard with the skidder turning it to put on the traier. I don't know how long they had been calling but when I got back in the truck they were calling. They said they would continue to call anytime the Gmeter went off and especially since I was shown off the highway/road. I got aggravated the 2nd time because they disable the radio while they try and go thru all this stuff and you can't even hang up on them after you tell them it's OK

Pretty sure you need a 2500 series truck dipped in Line-X. In all seriousness, nothing against you but you do complain a lot. Maybe rightfully so, it's hard for us to tell without seeing how you treat your truck. From your posts (granted that's all I know about you) it appears that you treat your truck like a tank.

no disrespect either, but I will post a good video if necessary to attempt to show the concern. put it like this, I have had the priveledge to drive all of the domestic brands and settled very early on GM and have never looked back. just pointing out a concern of mine that is shared by others.......

Mike,

I'd like to see it.

will post as soon as I can rerecord it (trying to use a mirror that will allow the minute pedal travel and reflect the light back to the cab (or use a really long light wire).....

I had thought it was my LEDs at first but then I put everything back to stock and it is still the same..........could I use the trailer harness for wire extension back into the cab?

Archived