Gm's "new" Brake Light Nearly Got Me Killed

Mike,

Grab a pole, (I normally use an extendable painting pole) and push the brake pedal while you are outside the cab. Not the prettiest method but when no help is around you gotta improvise....you can also tape a small inspection mirror to the roof and point it down and use the inside rear view mirror adjusted to look at the inspection mirror as it monitors the light.

Kevin

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok, just to let everyone know, I am trying to show the pedal travel while showing the light at the same time............I will attempt this as soon as I can.........anymore ideas?

Well I just tried mine again and it works fine. I had my wife and kids watching this time and I also watched the reflection in the garage door, I see no concern. My only problem now is that my family and co-workers all think Im crazy...lol :)

How about this angle: Without the fiberoptics (which I certainly couldn't whip up in a pinch,) if you were in a garage and had a small mirror on the cab floor that would "see" the brake lamp reflection from the door/wall when bright in the frame as the brake pedel was being depressed simulateously?

good idea....perhaps mount it on the door while the door is open? I think that may work since I can get a good shot from the passener side over the hump looking at the driver's door.......I know we have a huge 6 foot 'body' mirror that I can steal for a couple of mins as well.......

I have not noticed this on any newer trucks that I have seen. But one thing I think is for those who put one foot on the brake pedal and one on the gas, if they moved any then the brake lights would go out and then when they were really stopping the lights would come back on. How many times have we followed someone with a blinker on and had to guess if they were going to turn now or in the next 50 miles. I think that if you ride the brake pedal for the saftey of the other people on the road it needs to be out unless you are appling the brakes to slow or stop. I am sorry you have had so much trouble with your truck but seems to me to be some kind of issues.:):lol:

so it stayed on all the time JB? (While the brake pedal was depressed)

Yes of course, I can also let off the brake peddle pressure and roll forward and it still stays on, then stop and stays on. Now if I let off completely it goes off like it should. I even coasted down the street with the brake slightly depressed (no acc peddle) and the light was on but the minute I let off it went off, then re-pressed brakes and back on.

Im trying to simulate any driving/stopping situations and I dont see a problem...sorry guys

Sorry Fred, dont have a garage, but I will see about doing what you said using that 6 foot 'body' mirror (trust me, you will know what I am talking about when you see it)

Hey Mike you really don't need to drag out any of your marital aids man. :) But that would show illumination on a building or the pavement behind the truck.

But that would show illumination on a building or the pavement behind the truck.

Yeah, I was thinking about maybe backing up to a light-colored building... Maybe white stucco or something like that, in an office complex or industrial area? Back-in close to the building (maybe around back?) open your door, and have the camera pointed at your foot as you press the pedal.

You should get enough reflection to tell whether or not the brake lights are on.. You might have to aim the camera more toward the door than straight down, so you can get reflections of the pavement or the inside of the door..?

I think there is some confusion on what might be causing the problem or what you have to be doing to the pedal to cause the problem... Regardless there are times when I am putting pressure on the brakes and definately slowing the truck, without the brake lights on. It happens usually when I have pressed down on the pedal and released/reapplied to properly modulate or ease up on the brakes. Maybe I will call my dealer tomorrow to see if they have experienced anything like this. (Yeah, right!)

And for the record this is in every respect a legit gripe or complaint in my opinion.

Archived