Oil Grade Recommendations?

getin my second oil change this weekend so I'm about to order a case of royal purple tranny fluid and motor oil. I got 6000 miles on a 4.8l v8 sierra. wich grade oil should I run with?? wich do yall use? I ran 20w50 on my 92 ford but it was old. thanks for the help.

Use whatever brand you want but make sure you use the viscosity and quality required by your owner's manual, or you may void your warranty.

doesn't the number have to do with the thinkness of the oil? sould I be running something a little thinker since its winter? what is ur grade marko?

I researched using different weights for winter and summer driving and ended up talking to Amsoil end the end. They recommended the mfg's weight recommendation which in my case is 5W 30. I am sure yours is the same. I do not have cold temps necessarily but wondered if I would benefit from a 10W 30 in the hot summer while towing. After looking into with Amsoil, I discovered at the time, their 5W30 out spec'd and out performed their 10W 30.

I would suggest you use what GM recommneds and I am sure that will be 5W 30.

Yeah should have mentioned the ATF. DO NOT change that. RP does not offer an equivalent to DEX VI and as far as I know, nobody else does either. Dexron VI is actually far superior to others anyway from what I've seen.

wow thanks for the help! I just went to advanced auto parts (i think its called) and pick up 5 quarts of RP 5w-30 and a K&A filter. 7.20$ a quart. i hope i can tell the diffrance. ;) luckly they dident have the RP tranny i dident read your reply till i got back. good looking out thanks! :D:crackup::crackup::crackup::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Archived