What Is The Average Life Of A 5.3?

I have a 2001 Silverado Extended cab with the 5300 engine. It has about 155,000 miles on it and has mostly been used for long trips and light towing. I have changed the oil approximately every 5,500 miles. Do these engines go over 200,000 miles? Thanks!!!

Are you the only driver? Or are there 5 teenage boys/girls in family? Cousins, uncles, neighbors, friends, etc. driving this truck?

Did you buy this new or used? Was it the dealers mothers personal vehicle?

Are you the only driver? Or are there 5 teenage boys/girls in family? Cousins, uncles, neighbors, friends, etc. driving this truck?

Did you buy this new or used? Was it the dealers mothers personal vehicle?

I bought it from the original owner. He bought it when he was 21 and used it to travel across the country to race bicycles. He is a professional bike racer, not motorcycle, but petal bikes. He said about 3/4 of the miles are highway and he drove about 75mph on trips. Since it has a 3.42 rear gear it turns just over 2,000 rpm at 75. Thanks, Gary

I bought it from the original owner. He bought it when he was 21 and used it to travel across the country to race bicycles. He is a professional bike racer, not motorcycle, but petal bikes. He said about 3/4 of the miles are highway and he drove about 75mph on trips. Since it has a 3.42 rear gear it turns just over 2,000 rpm at 75. Thanks, Gary

Many many miles can be had out of these engines with proper care. Look at this odometer shot from one of my delivery guy's truck. Original 5.3 that has never been apart.

12-20-2007%2010-45-24%20AM_0022.JPG

Many many miles can be had out of these engines with proper care. Look at this odometer shot from one of my delivery guy's truck. Original 5.3 that has never been apart.

All I can say is WOW!!!!!

The life of an engine depends on many variables.

Assuming the engine was put together correctly at GM factory, then other variables play into longevity.

Since you purchased used there may be some unkown factors. Which goes back to my first question. Did the original owner loan out this truck. Did he treat the truck in an exceptional manner. How often did he change the oil. Was the truck ever in an accident. Did he buy it used.

In my opinion, most of the damage done to an engine is done at the beginning. It only shows up near the end.

The bottom line is that the care of the vehicle from new is crucial to the longevity of an engine/transmission.

When I buy a used vehicle, I size up the owner just as much as the vehicle. Maybe, just maybe, that is why my 1990 1500 still looks almost new from a slight distance and always starts, rides perfectly, and has been basically trouble free. Normal maintenance excepted. With my 1990 1500 the original air conditioning still works after 18 years. As an example, I was told by an old time mechanic to always turn the air conditioning OFF before turning the key off. And to never start the vehicle with the air conditioning ON. Well, either I got an exceptional air conditioning system or his adise was right on.

There are so many factors that come into play in keeping an engine going for almost forever.

Ya, but you got problems with the ABS and the Emergency Brake as those lights are ON !

Just kidding, I know you turned the key on to show the mileage !

I agree, I think these motors will get well over 200000 easy, I have 95500 on my 2000 at it doesn't feel any different than when new, you push the go pedal and it goes, of course I'm anal about maint. Oil,filters, lube, gear oils, plugs wires, changing tranny fluid and changing anti-freez every 2 years, 3/4 of my miles are trips of 50 miles or more and a lot of freeway driving between 75-85 once in while higher, with 3:73's, if this truck dosen't get wrecked, it might be my last, I like the body style(I don't like the new one)plus it loaded heated seats and all, if the motor or tranny takes a dump, I'll just replace them. :dunno:

Ya, but you got problems with the ABS and the Emergency Brake as those lights are ON !

:dunno:

I'll be the first to admit that this is exceptional mileage out of any engine. I was equally amazed (and impressed) by it.

:lol:

I'll be the first to admit that this is exceptional mileage out of any engine. I was equally amazed (and impressed) by it.

yeah same here I was jaw dropped lol. Thats alot of driving in the past few years. Also noticed that fuel gauge is near full, wonder if its lways up near there, mine isn't & i got 37,000 on a 6.0 :dunno:

I agree, I think these motors will get well over 200000 easy, I have 95500 on my 2000 at it doesn't feel any different than when new, you push the go pedal and it goes, of course I'm anal about maint. Oil,filters, lube, gear oils, plugs wires, changing tranny fluid and changing anti-freez every 2 years, 3/4 of my miles are trips of 50 miles or more and a lot of freeway driving between 75-85 once in while higher, with 3:73's, if this truck dosen't get wrecked, it might be my last, I like the body style(I don't like the new one)plus it loaded heated seats and all, if the motor or tranny takes a dump, I'll just replace them. :dunno:

Doing the recommended maintenance as shown in the owner's manual goes a long way to engine/drivetrain longevity. Running at highway speeds over long distances is far less stressful on the motor than short trips like you see in a daily commute.

But I would make the oil changes more frequent; something on the order of 3 to 4K miles. Use a good quality oil and filter. Changing the other fluids is important too. At 200K, I would have flushed out the power steering fluid, the tranny fluid would have been done twice already, and the DexCool fluid flushed and replaced. The oil in the diff would have been changed especially with trailer towing if the towed weight was over 3000lbs. If it's 4WD truck, then the front diff and transfer case would have been serviced.

New brake fluid every 2 years too.

My oldest service truck has 247000 miles and gets Mobil 1 when the OLM comes on have Blackstone labs check oil and no problems with oil or engine. Expect to see 300000 mi easily.

BTW this truck hauls tools and sometimes a trailer to the job.

You'll get 200K easily out of an engine in this day and age, does not matter what type or brand of oil you used. As long as you did not abuse the vehicle, you'll get alot of miles out of em. The transmission on the other hand is another story. Wish everyone could build a good transmission that would last 500k...

In the old days people would get excited if they got to 100k, now a days thats just like "Yeah, whatever, no big deal" no need to get excited, when you reach 200K.. THAT is the time to start to be proud and happy.

Archived