Dealer Won't Help You?

cerbomark

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Also, having worked in a GM service department, one of the best things to do is to keep your cool and keep your composure. Document, document, document also. Being able to listen to what they're (the service writer, manager, or even technician), telling you, will also maintain an open line of discussion for you with them as to possibly resolving the problem.

The minute you fly off the hook, start telling us what a P.O.S. the vehicle is, and how much you spent on it, and that you'll never buy another GM vehicle or buy from us again, or whatever tyrade you go into, we shut our ears off and we go into defense mode. That is typical human nature. Once that happens, good luck! Calling the number posted above, usually will only help if GM is gauranteeing that they will foot the bill for whatever repair is in dispute. A dealer is an independent business with an agreement to sell and service GM's products. As with any independent business, if they don't want to serve you, that is their right. Just as much as it is for you to never patronize them again. If you're being denied warranty coverage, there is probably a reason why. Not just because you're being singled out! Chances are, they (the dealership service department), determined that the failure wasn't due to a fault of the part and or workmanship of the product, based on GM's requirements.

To make a long story short, a dealership foots all the costs of warranty (based on GM's requirements for coverage), until GM pays them back. Sometimes after an audit (if there are questionable items or a history of questionable items). The dealership service department can also "goodwill warranty" stuff through GM too. Say a vehicle is just out of the mileage or a month or two out of warranty coverage and a power windoew regulator fails. 9 times out of 10, they'll do it out of good faith and usually GM steps up and backs them.

Point being, whether it's right or wrong, that's how they operate in reality. You attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

I've had customers come in, say "hey, I know the car is at 40k (back when they were covered under 3yr/36k warranty), and this failed on me! I really don't think I should be made to pay for it!" Honesty and niceness would've gotten you covered (i'd have "goodwilled" it). But you come in spewing venom, and I go "lalalalalalalalla"

Edited by CMNTMXR81
  • Like 5

Also, having worked in a GM service department, one of the best things to do is to keep your cool and keep your composure. Document, document, document also. Being able to listen to what they're (the service writer, manager, or even technician), telling you, will also maintain an open line of discussion for you with them as to possibly resolving the problem.

The minute you fly off the hook, start telling us what a P.O.S. the vehicle is, and how much you spent on it, and that you'll never buy another GM vehicle or buy from us again, or whatever tyrade you go into, we shut our ears off and we go into defense mode. That is typical human nature. Once that happens, good luck! Calling the number posted above, usually will only help if GM is gauranteeing that they will foot the bill for whatever repair is in dispute. A dealer is an independent business with an agreement to sell and service GM's products. As with any independent business, if they don't want to serve you, that is their right. Just as much as it is for you to never patronize them again. If you're being denied warranty coverage, there is probably a reason why. Not just because you're being singled out! Chances are, they (the dealership service department), determined that the failure wasn't due to a fault of the part and or workmanship of the product, based on GM's requirements.

To make a long story short, a dealership foots all the costs of warranty (based on GM's requirements for coverage), until GM pays them back. Sometimes after an audit (if there are questionable items or a history of questionable items). The dealership service department can also "goodwill warranty" stuff through GM too. Say a vehicle is just out of the mileage or a month or two out of warranty coverage and a power windoew regulator fails. 9 times out of 10, they'll do it out of good faith and usually GM steps up and backs them.

Point being, whether it's right or wrong, that's how they operate in reality. You attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

I've had customers come in, say "hey, I know the car is at 40k (back when they were covered under 3yr/36k warranty), and this failed on me! I really don't think I should be made to pay for it!" Honesty and niceness would've gotten you covered (i'd have "goodwilled" it). But you come in spewing venom, and I go "lalalalalalalalla"

Possibly the best, most acurate advise I have seen on this forum

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I am scared to death. Had complete engine failure right out of the powertrain warranty on my 2008 5.3L vortec engine that I thought was bullet proof. I had 84,000 miles under in miles but a couple months over time.GM investigated the motor and checked black box for events and found no issues underlying that would have caused the failure on my part. Even when the engine failed, no engine lights were ever on.

It's been a few weeks and engine is almost done. GM is covering the new engine out of Goodwill because besides the Silverado 1500,I have 3 GM vehicles one being a pre-ordered 2010 Camaro SS and a 2 year old Tahoe. All service work preformed at the dealership included 20 point inspection February when the warranty ran out. No issues were found. I know the engine is expensive and am grateful for the offer by GM but when we bought this 4x4 we expected to be able to put over 200,000 miles on it with no problems.

I was told it would be covered by GM but I would have to pay a deductible of 500 to 700. That was last week. This morning it was supposed to be done but the service department called and said it needed road tested and be finished tomorrow. Then I was told my part would be more like 700 to 1000!!! I had a couple weeks to gladly and thankfully come up with 500 to 700 dollars. Now they tell me it could be $1000!! Is there a set deductible from GM when "Goodwill" warranty work is preformed? I don't have a penny more than $700 and now when it's ready, the bill may be $1000.

Is this a set amount or does the dealership make commissions on the service work? I am a good customer and always get service work preformed when suggested. Am I an easy target and they are trying to get more money from me?

Grateful but skeptic???

This may work sometimes but not all the time, and really depends on the dealership.

The problem with having someone work on your car these days is that there are more parts changers out there than real mechanics. My neighbor son is the head painter at my local Chevy dealership and he was telling me that they only have 4 real mechanics there, all the are parts changers.

That being said. When my sister was trying to get her truck fixed at her local dealership they told her that the throttle body had to be replaced because the SES light was lite and was for a bad TPS (code P0121). They also said they she should contact GM because GM may cover this repair. GM did extend the warranty on the TPS on her truck but for a different code. GM was contacted and they contacted the dealership and GM and the dealership both have declind cover this repair. The truck is only a couple months out of warranty and was purchased at this dealership. IMO they should have fixed this out of good faith. A little customer service does go along way...

What really gets me was this is a prime example of a parts changer! She did not let them fix the truck. I pulled and cleaned the throttle body and what do you know? The truck is fixed and has now passed emissions!!

This dealership and GM both failed on this service visit!

Edited by EX-F150 owner

• 7 months later...

Would appreciate some feedback as to if I am being too anal or unreasonable about the many issues I am having with my new 2014 Sierra 1500 All Terrain. I would like to know what other truck owners would do under these circumstances.

I was told by my salesman that the delivery of my dealer trade was delayed because a window had been broken and there was some minor paint damage needed to be taken care of. During the evening of the delivery inspection I could see no exterior problems, but was surprised/disappointed when during the explanation of the infotainment system, up popped a strange persons name under the Bluetooth cell phone pairing. I began to drive the truck home and not 2 blocks from the dealership my left signal was not working. Once home I sat in the truck with my owners manual to acquaint myself with all the controls. Curious, but my courtesy dome lights would not work with the opening of the doors or manually with the switch. The next thing I noticed was the discrepancy in the odometer reading. The sales contract said 95 and the odometer actually read 340. The next day I noticed that the signal was working now and so too were the dome lights. I called my salesman about the odometer only and he said he would re-register it for my warranty to be updated. Then later in the day the left signal light and dome lights were again not working. I then called the salesman and told him about it and we booked the truck in for service. The next afternoon my drivers door will not let me out of the truck. I had my wife try to open the door form the outside but it would not open. I called the service manager from within the truck and I tried all his suggestions to get that door to open but it would not. The door simply would not unlock. It was not a matter that the door was frozen as it had been days since it had been last washed. And I assure you that with the amount of violent anger that I used to push against the door, it definitely would have opened. Fortunately, this incidence has only happened once. When I took it in for the service appointment they had it for the day, and could neither find nor fix either of the problems. That evening again the signal and dome light were not working so I immediately took it to the dealership to verify with my salesman that indeed they were not working. He then also noticed that I had no left brake light either. They had no idea what to do about it and said they would get back to me when they had more info. To this date this electrical issue is still plaguing the truck. Next day the weather warmed up enough that I could wash my truck by hand as opposed to the the touch-less car wash that I was using. While chamoising the truck I notice on the passenger's door the weather stripping around the window was not laying flush as it should. I began a closer inspection and then see a paint tape line along the chrome trim on the door post. With further inspection i then see a myriad of micro scratches all over just on this door, a paint run just under the area of the mirror and then to top it off now I see metal flake in the paint on this door. The rest of my truck is not metal flake paint. This now was my last straw. I called a meeting with the salesman and told him that he can take the truck back and get me a new one. They are insisting that they can "fix it all" for me and all will be fine. My point is this though. I shelled out money for a brand new truck. NOT a FIXED ONE. Not one that needed the door repainted, not one that has had shoddy bodywork done to it, not one that now yet again will need more bodywork done to it, not one that will yet again be torn apart looking for this electrical problem. We all know that they don't go back together again like when they come from the factory. A few months down the road and thats when squeaks and rattles start. My intention is to keep this truck for 10 years. My other truck was bought new from this same dealership and I have had it for 10 years now and it is in cherry condition. Now I being told that I have to accept this FIXED truck. All these host of issues with this truck in a matter of 18 days of delivery. Truthfully, this truck would not pass even a safety right from the minute it left the lot. I Googled the name that came up on the bluetooth phone pairing and found that it belongs to the salesman that works at the dealership from where the truck was traded from. Was this his demo? I am not being a drama queen here and demanding my money back. I am not asking for any money off my purchase. I have been very patient and shown much latitude under the circumstances. All relationships work better with a little bit of wiggle room and I have wiggled with them a lot. All I am asking for is what I paid for,,,,,,, a new truck. Could you please weigh in on this and let me know what your opinion is on this situation? Would you accept this as a new truck, or would you insist on getting another one?

Thanks,

N8

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't want this truck either with all that is wrong with it. If they didn't want to just replace with a new vehicle, I'd let my attorney start talking to them.

My sentiments exactly!

Finally found the electrical problem - it apparently was a "loose fuse". You know what they finally did to rectify the covered up damage on the door? They replaced the door with a door off of another truck (a demo) and then gave me a paint sealant package on the truck for all my troubles. You shouldn't feel the need to bring a priest and a lawyer with you when you are going to buy a new truck.

• 3 weeks later...

Loose fuse wow I wonder if I need to check all mine sounds suspicious to me. Repaint on door sounds like they have a little bit of amateur hour at their paint shop facility, the door can be repainted perfectly they do it everyday at the plant on damaged vehicles but they do it with highly skilled people that do this everyday for a living and have top notch equipment not your local britches hanging low hat turned sideways street punk whose best work is done with a spray can.....LOL.. Glad everything worked out for you. I myself would probably never keep the vehicle because every time I went out to start it I would get POed I would simply trade it even if it cost me a bundle just a personal preference and having a low tolerance level I guess..You look like you have a lot of patience and are very kind hearted in your pic so I am guessing you will be OK with the vehicle as is.

Loose fuse wow I wonder if I need to check all mine sounds suspicious to me. Repaint on door sounds like they have a little bit of amateur hour at their paint shop facility, the door can be repainted perfectly they do it everyday at the plant on damaged vehicles but they do it with highly skilled people that do this everyday for a living and have top notch equipment not your local britches hanging low hat turned sideways street punk whose best work is done with a spray can.....LOL.. Glad everything worked out for you. I myself would probably never keep the vehicle because every time I went out to start it I would get POed I would simply trade it even if it cost me a bundle just a personal preference and having a low tolerance level I guess..You look like you have a lot of patience and are very kind hearted in your pic so I am guessing you will be OK with the vehicle as is.

I like your description of the street punk with a paint can. Ya if I could swing it, $, I would trade this one off for another new Sierra, cause as you say, there is a small burr in the saddle every time I go to get in it. I am hoping that it will eventually just go away. I have learned though, that the next time I go to purchase a truck, I am putting down just $100 on the deal not a $1000, so that if I want to walk away from it, I don't mind so much. That and, you can't afford to relax and be easy going with your dealership. You pretty much have to be a freak show throughout the entire process to make sure you get the truck in the kind of condition that we will be keeping it in!!

• 2 weeks later...