Evap Vent Valve Solenoid #

Ok I did some searching before getting on here to ask for help. Trying to do some maintenance and repairs myself and save some $$$. I have a 2003 Silverado and am getting the CEL and a code P0449. I know what this means but am having a issue finding the part. I want to replace it but I have found no place that lists the ac delco part #. Also the Chilton manual mentions a vent hose and electrial connector but the picture doesn't show the electrial. Does anyone know if this part has one and can give me a part # to use?

#02-06-04-037F: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit) - (Aug 5, 2009)

Subject: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Check Engine Light On (Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit)

Models: 1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado (Classic) Models

1999-2007 GMC Sierra (Classic) Models

2007-2009 Chevrolet Silverado Models (Excluding Hybrid)

2007-2009 GMC Sierra Models (Excluding Hybrid)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add an important statement to not replace the EVAP canister. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037E (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the check engine light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.

Cause

Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

Correction (1999-2007 Classic/Old Style Models)

After following the published SI diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the existing EVAP canister vent valve assembly with a new assembly. This new assembly is a sealed unit that is designed to be vented through a remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.

Important: DO NOT replace the EVAP canister assembly for this concern unless it fails the leak test.

1999-2003 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19207762)

Raise the vehicle. Suitably support the vehicle.

Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

Disengage the two vent valve pipe clips securing the pipe to the underbody. Remove the clips from the underbody and discard.

Disconnect the vent valve pipe at the EVAP canister.

Remove and retain the EVAP canister vent valve bracket mounting bolt.

Remove the complete EVAP canister vent valve assembly with bracket attached and discard.

Important: The new canister vent valve will be installed in a new location, outside of the frame.

Position and secure the new valve assembly to the frame bracket on the outside of the frame using the existing hole and mounting bolt.

Tighten

Tighten the bracket mounting bolt to 12 N·m (106 lb in).

Connect the vent valve pipe to the EVAP canister.

Install the two vent valve pipe clips into the existing underbody holes.

Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector, if equipped.

Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

Raise the transmission and reinstall the transmission support.

Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

Lower the vehicle.

2004-2007 Model Year (Use Service Kit P/N 19152349)

Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Disconnect the canister pipe from the vent valve.

Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket. Discard the old valve.

Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) to remove the quick connect end.

Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.

Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.

Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the area above the transmission.

Cut the hose to determined length and install the supplied filter box. Secure using a clamp.

Remove the transmission support and lower the transmission assembly as necessary to allow for access to the new filter box location.

Secure the filter box to the transmission vent hose just forward of the hose tee-section using a tie strap. DO NOT pinch or restrict the transmission vent hose. The filter box opening should be pointing downward.

Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Tie strap the hose as needed along the frame rail in order to keep the hose away from pinch-points and heat sources.

Lower the vehicle.

Correction (2007-2009 New Style Models)

After following the published SI diagnostics for P0446 and determining that the EVAP canister vent valve is the cause of the MIL light, replace the EVAP canister vent valve assembly and relocate the remote filter box. To ensure correct installation, follow the procedures below.

Important: DO NOT replace the EVAP canister assembly for this concern unless it fails the leak test.

Use Service Kit P/N 19207763

Disconnect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Disconnect the vent valve pipe quick connect from the canister.

Either cut the existing valve vent pipe and leave the remaining section of pipe in the vehicle or remove along with the valve.

Push in the retainer and remove the existing canister vent valve from the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.

Cut back the existing canister pipe approximately 51 mm (2 in) and retain the pipe for use with new valve.

Connect the canister pipe quick connect to the canister.

Install the new canister vent valve to the fuel tank clip or mounting bracket.

Cut bulk 5/8" heater hose to a length of approximately 76 mm (3 in). Install the hose between the vent valve and the canister pipe and secure using clamps.

Attach bulk 5/8" heater hose to the vent valve port and secure using a clamp. Run a length as needed along the frame rail routing to the passenger side area above the transmission.

Remove the transmission heat shield, if necessary.

Reinstall the transmission heat shield.

Connect the EVAP canister vent valve electrical connector.

Lower the vehicle.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

Material Allowance

19207762 (1999-2003 Model Year)

Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve

--

19207763 (2004-2009 Model Year)

Solenoid Kit, EVAP Emission Canister Vent Valve

--

9438383 (5/8" X 25' roll)

Hose

Cut to Length

$10.80 USD ($22.59 CAD)

12337820 (10 per pack)

Tie-Strap

$3.80 USD ($4.55 CAD)

11609970 (10 per pack)

Clamp

2 (1999-2003)

or

4 (2004-2008)

$3.78 USD ($7.08 CAD) (1999-2003)

or

$7.56 USD ($14.17 CAD) (2004-2008)

Put unused material on shelf for future use.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

J7908*

Replace Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Valve Solenoid Assembly and Add/Relocate Filter Box Using Service Kit

1.1 hrs**

* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

**Diagnosis time is included in this labor time.

Edited by MS3DALE

• 7 months later...

Ok - I know - old topic... I replaced the vent valve, and the purge valve... Purge valve was easy, but the vent valve was a PITA (on 2003 prior vehicles). I got it all installed, but the kit didn't come with the required 5/8" hose to re-route the vent intake. WHY??? You'd think if you ordered the new kit, it would come with the necessary hoses rather than having to go to a auto parts store to get the required heater hose! It is 8:30 PM on Sunday night, and there is no place open to get that hose. Sorry for the rant, but this bugs me...

• Like 1

Ok - I know - old topic... I replaced the vent valve, and the purge valve... Purge valve was easy, but the vent valve was a PITA (on 2003 prior vehicles). I got it all installed, but the kit didn't come with the required 5/8" hose to re-route the vent intake. WHY??? You'd think if you ordered the new kit, it would come with the necessary hoses rather than having to go to a auto parts store to get the required heater hose! It is 8:30 PM on Sunday night, and there is no place open to get that hose. Sorry for the rant, but this bugs me...

They don't supply it because not every hose will be the same length. This is nothing new though, it gets pretty irritating to get an egr valve with no gasket or hubs with no bolts when the manual states they should be replaced everytime they are removed. I feel your pain.

• 1 month later...

They don't supply the hose, because the length of the required hose changes with each revision of the TSB!!!! :lol:

If you have access to the TSB, it calls out the fact that you will need 5/8" hose, hose clips, and tie wraps. How are regular shade tree mechanic supposed to know that though - I don't know. The Evap kit should at least come with instructions, mine did not - I heard some others say that theirs did.

Do you know if this solenoid is normally open or closed? How can this be tested? I'm having the same code on my 2006 Z71 and I took it apart to clean it out. It was full of dust. I blew air thru the hose and it went thru the other side. I was thinking that this should be normally closed and that air shouldnt have passed thru. I also keep getting tighten fuel cap so this would definetly seem to be the problem. I just hate to spend $146.00 on a new one if it's not the problem

• 8 months later...

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU MUST READ*****

Ok everyone, listen up....If you have a 04 and newer silverado, with a failed evap vent solenoid, you have to read this info. Do not pay $100+ for this part(actually $150.00 at the dealer). The following part numbers associated with this part have been gm#19207763,19152349, and AC DELCO #'s 214-2082 costing over $100.00 for the modified part. This is for the modified part, with the relocation of the filterbox, and the added hose that seperates the two. No one at Gm will tell you this, but this same part, that was origionally on your silverado, is also used in the 2006 Suburban. It will be an identical replacement for what is ON YOUR TRUCK, and the cost is $24.04 AT THE DEALER. I know this because I own a 2006 silverado, and a 2006 suburban. Looked at the suburban when the part went bad on the silverado(from overfilling the tank)and bingo, same part. Ask a parts person at GM, and they will tell you otherwise, but they are lying to you. Bought the suburban part today part # 25932571 (GM #) and everything is identical, right down to the numbers stamped on the part itself. Took the part off my silverado, put the replacement on (which gm told me is not the right part), cleared the codes, and bingo no more light after 3 consecutive starts...... Why, is it that GM feels we need to pay the price for something they did wrong???? And moreso, lie to us, telling us the $150.00 part is our only choice to fix the problem. My truck went 40K miles with the origional part, and probably only went bad because of my own stupidity in overfilling the tank, whay would I not just want to spend $24.00 to put on the same part, that will probably go the rest of the life of the truck with no tank overfills???? I say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN SCAMMED INTO PAYING THE RIDICULOUS PRICE that GM is trying to suck out of us.....Please pass this on to the world, and every forum you can...Get the word out....Let the parts people at GM know we are on to their BS, and they can't take advantage of us like they have.....

Maybe because the part numbers listed above in the bulletin are a kit and add a remote filter box to prevent the issue in the future?

Did you read the bulletin above (Which I edited to include the newest one) and did you perform the procedure,or did you just replace the solenoid itself?

I am a parts manager at a GM dealer and do not appreciate you saying we are lying to customers,we sell what GM part numbers are in the catalog,they DO NOT list 25932571 as fitting the pick-up trucks,although it may be the same part on other vehicles,We can only go by what they list in the catalog as the proper part number.

Edited by MS3DALE

Ok then... First let me appologize for using the word LYING. Lack of education was more the correct term. Now let's look at this with some common sense....$24.04 for the FACTORY ORIGIONAL part that came with the vehicle, or $150.78 for a modified replacement part to accomplish the same purpose, and which requires additional parts, and is more labor intensive on the installer, and which WILL NOT CORRECT ANY PROBLEM CAUSED BY OVERFILLING THE FUEL TANK AND PURGING GAS INTO THE SELONOID. Yes I might agree, this new part, because of the new location of the filter box, might be better for the 4X4 enthusiest, who will be going through mud, and dirt, and water. But guess what??? That truck owner is headed for more problems than just an evap selonoid down the road, because those conditions, will cause a whole lot of part failures, not just the evap system.....More common sense, the reality of this situation, is that, the origional part was mass produced, on hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Millions actually. Then GM has to go back to the manufacturer, and ask them to redesign the part to overcome issues that their own engineers created, and guess who is paying the tab for that??? Thats right, we are. The loyal GM buyer, who has put all of our faith, and trust, into a manufacturer, to build the best quality product available to us in today's market. The reality of it is. That redesigned part, should be on your shelf, for the same $24.04 as the origional part, and Gm should be counting their blessings on every truck that comes in after the warranty, that the owner has to pay for the part, since the most common mileage for the failure is @ 40K, and nothing prior to 07 is warrantied that long....And as far as the theory of "because the computer says so" Trust me, following that logic will not set you above the competition. Get the computer fixed.Get the TSB fixed. That TSB should call for the new modified part on trucks that frequently experience extreme driving conditions through water, mud, or extremely dusty area's, and that failed with the P0446 code, since that is the code that will be set when the system has become partially or fully clogged by substances being sucked into that vent filter. Overfilled tanks with gas purging through the selonoid will set the P0449 code, which is an electrical malfunction of that solenoid, not supplying the correct voltage information back to the pcm as designed. Granted P0449 could be the result of other electrical issues pertaining to the evap system, but for the failed solenoids with that code,the tsb, should revert back, to replace with the origional part the truck came with in this case. Or, at the least, inform the truck owner of the possible senerio's, and give him a choice of what he or she wants to do. Of course, this only makes sense on all expired warranties. Under warranty, Gm should do what they feel is best for them, since they are paying the tab...

Let me also say, that I remain a loyal GM owner. Since 1986, only GM vehicles in my garage.A 1984 Monte Carlo SS,1986 Olds cutless sierra wagon, a 1988 Chevy Camero IROC-Z, 1990 buick regal, 1997 Chevy blazer LT, 2003 Chevy Astro, 2004 Chevy Malibu, and now a 2006 Silverado 1500 Crew cab, and a 2006 Chevy suburban 1500 LS. I think I have done my part to keep this company in a position to be sucessful. The problem is not with the vehicles they build, or the overall quality of the vehicles. Lets face it, everything they build, in many ways, out does the competition hands down. The problem is what goes on after the sale. Between the time the owner buys the vehicle, and the time he or she is ready to sell the vehicle, and buy another one. That is the most critical time period, to make or break a company. MS3DALE, if I could have walked into your parts department, and you could have told me everything that I posted here, and gave me a choice of what I wanted to do, letting me know that the GM catalog does not call for that part to be replaced with the same one that came on the truck, but that the part still exists for a lot less, and indicated to me that your dealership believes that GM should look into this matter further, to insure the best outcome for their loyal owners, and has inquired into the situation, and asked GM to respond as to whether the origional part can still be used, then guess what? I would probably be walking your sales lot in the future, as I got to the end of that time frame mentioned above, that I indicated as the most important. But guess what? That is not happening with the majority of Americans, who at some point, have owned a GM vehicle. Put 2 or 3 bad experiences into that period of time, and guess what...Another Toyota Tundra on the road. It is that simple...And guess what else. That new Tundra owner gets together with all his buddies, tells the stories of the bad experiences, a few buddies relate, and tell their stories, and 2 more Toyota Tundra's on the road....Turn that all around, with all the buddies hanging out, and no one can come up with anything negetive to tell(about the service they received when they had A PROBLEM with their GM trucks), and guess what??? Toyota will be offering $9,000.00 rebates, and not GM....To think that a manufacturer, will ever be able to build a vehicle, that will not break, or need to be repaired, or have something unexpected go wrong well before it should, is NEVER going to happen. But as The New GM emerges from bankrupcy, it is not the vehicles that need to be improved, or redesigned totally to be sucessfull. It is what happens in the period of time from sale to sale that has to be re engineered. Do that better than anyone else, and nothing else matters, as they already know how to build vehicles people would buy. They just don't know how to take care of those people so that they will buy AGAIN. Look at my list of vehicles above closely, because guess what? I am only 38 years old.......What a potential for Gm......Sadly though. Out of all MY BUDDIES, I am the only one still driving GM.....What they drive isn't any better, but guess what let them to make a change???? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, think about that before you ever tell another GM owner, that they are wrong, and your computer catalog is right....Or that you can only help them as much as the computer tells you to.......I look forward to driving my first fully electric silverado in the coming years....and only hope the new GM will have earned all my buddies back by then........

I couldn't have said that better myself.

Also, if the company would be a bit more helpful to those who choose to repair their own vehicles (instead of being so secretive about everything -- not everyone chooses to work on their own vehicles -- mechanics will still have jobs!), I think that would help their customer satisfaction also.

I do my own repairs because I'm not under the "commission" gun -- I take my time & do a thorough job. I've never done the same repair twice.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I found this at RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com)

ACDELCO Part # 2142149 {replaces 214-1078 #10382105, 15750484, 2141078, 2141097, 22728634, 25932571}

VALVE,Evaporative Emission Canister VENT SOL

I was considering trying this on my 05 Tahoe. Anyone see any reason not to?

I replaced my Fuel Tank Evap Control today, GM part # 25932571. It was $22+ tax at the dealer. Since the GM part is listed as a replacement to AC-Delco I would guess it's the same. I got the GM part because I knew it was the exact same as the factory one. How much is the AC-Delco part?

Hi,

I found this at RockAuto (http://www.rockauto.com)

ACDELCO Part # 2142149 {replaces 214-1078 #10382105, 15750484, 2141078, 2141097, 22728634, 25932571}

VALVE,Evaporative Emission Canister VENT SOL

I was considering trying this on my 05 Tahoe. Anyone see any reason not to?

I replaced my Fuel Tank Evap Control today, GM part # 25932571. It was $22+ tax at the dealer. Since the GM part is listed as a replacement to AC-Delco I would guess it's the same. I got the GM part because I knew it was the exact same as the factory one. How much is the AC-Delco part?

GM part#25932571 and AC-Delco part#214-2149 are the same part.